Advice on RN career

Callum S

Hi,

I’m 17 and joined the Merchant Navy when I was 16, went to college for a few months and then went off to the Irish Sea supporting oil rigs on a standby boat. I left recently because I was feeling like I was wishing half my life away counting down the days to be home. I’m really missing sea now and feel like I might have just been a naive young guy who jumped at the first hurdle after a culture shock.

I was just wondering if in the RN there will be lots of work to do to keep occupied and fulfilled because I really don’t want to go back to a career of just sitting in the cabin with nothing to do. I want a career which is more exciting and fulfilling, so I thought it would be logical to look at the Royal Navy. Any advice on roles or if it sounds like I’d be making a mistake considering this career would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I have posted the thread in the wrong place or if there is already an existing one for topics like this.
Thanks

Waspie

War Hero
Try looking at previous posts, either trawl through or use the 'Search' function top of the home page.
All jobs have degrees of boredom!!!

fishhead

War Hero
Hi,

I’m 17 and joined the Merchant Navy when I was 16, went to college for a few months and then went off to the Irish Sea supporting oil rigs on a standby boat. I left recently because I was feeling like I was wishing half my life away counting down the days to be home. I’m really missing sea now and feel like I might have just been a naive young guy who jumped at the first hurdle after a culture shock.

I was just wondering if in the RN there will be lots of work to do to keep occupied and fulfilled because I really don’t want to go back to a career of just sitting in the cabin with nothing to do. I want a career which is more exciting and fulfilling, so I thought it would be logical to look at the Royal Navy. Any advice on roles or if it sounds like I’d be making a mistake considering this career would be greatly appreciated. Sorry if I have posted the thread in the wrong place or if there is already an existing one for topics like this.
Thanks
I would think the RN has more ways of keeping you occupied while at sea than the Merch but whether they are "fulfilling and exciting" will be down to personal taste. There are plenty of different avenues to go down so it's just a matter of picking one to suit your talents or something completely different. The best advice( and it almost always is) is to register an interest on line and speak to a recruiter who will point you in the right direction. We usually say go to an AFCO but due to covid they are not operating as normal at present.

Latest Threads