Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Advice on officer or rating please

Tryneowy

Midshipman
Hello,

I am in a bit of a dilemma and am looking for some advice. I have read previous threads (which has been helpful), however I don't think there are any recent posts with the same situation as me.

My background is as a physiotherapist so I have a degree from that. I applied in 2018 as a rating (HM - warfare) as at that point the age limit for an officer was 25 (I was 27). However I failed at the paper medical with Capita (past history of eczema). I went travelling for 6 months and when I returned this summer I went back to my AFCO to see if it was worth reapplying. I was told the age limit had now increased and was encouraged to apply as an officer. I have completed most of the stages for this (and passed the medical this time), and had another interview where I was told they were happy to put me forward to the AIB. Before the AIB the plan is to arrange a POV sometime in the New Year.

Now this all sounds great and I should be happy. But I'm having serious doubts about whether I am the right material to be an officer and it's really winding me up. On paper I make a good candidate, however I have never been the most confident and don't think I really fit that image of a leader. Family are keen for me to persue the officer route, and I guess I'm worried about letting myself down or disappointing anyone. I just think I'd struggle to be happy with the added pressure of the leadership elements of the officer role. But I do think I could gradually work my way up/build confidence as a rating and eventually progress down the non-comissioned route. I think it's clear which way I'm leaning but I don't know if this is just a lack of confidence making me self sabotage things. Now when I mentioned the rating route at the AFCO I was told that we can switch the application, but to go for it as an officer and we'd explore the rating route "if it happened".

Does anyone have a take on this? I'd really appreciate your opinions.

Go for officer, if it doesn't happen, go for rating.

What have you got to lose?

Thank you for that. I know it's going to sound daft, but I'm more concerned about what would happen if I went for it and did get it (which I know is unlikely). I think I'm worried about putting on this persona of being confident and then getting "discovered" when I balls something up. I'm definitely more of a team player than a leader at the moment.

Thank you for that. I know it's going to sound daft, but I'm more concerned about what would happen if I went for it and did get it (which I know is unlikely). I think I'm worried about putting on this persona of being confident and then getting "discovered" when I balls something up. I'm definitely more of a team player than a leader at the moment.
Completing the RN officer courses will improve your confidence, bearing and most of all your belief in yourself.
;)
Go for it it you then fail the course for officer you can always join as a rating.
Listen to yer Uncle Wrecker, you know it makes sense

Making a balls up is pretty much expected, the trick is to learn from the balls up and not repeat it. Part of being a leader is recognising the people under you will also make balls ups and how you react to it.

@Tryneowy As others have already said go for it and let others decide whether you are suitable or not. The AIB is designed to do just that and it is unlikely you will "fluke" a pass. Very few of us are born leaders but many are trainable. All you need is the tools and the rest will follow in time. Life is full of pitfalls and it is a lucky person who never falls into one. Mistakes are tolerated as long as they're honest ones.
Good luck in the future.

I really appreciate all of your replies. To be honest I was almost hoping that you'd say leave the officer application and go for the rating, but now I'm glad you've all encouraged me to give it a go. So thank you very much for that. I'll try my best and take it from there. Thank you!

Tryneowy

I don't know whether you already get it, but look out for a newspaper called Navy News. You should be able to get it in W H Smith.

It will help you with your preparation.

Tryneowy

I don't know whether you already get it, but look out for a newspaper called Navy News. You should be able to get it in W H Smith.

It will help you with your preparation.

Thanks for the tip! I was given the latest issue after my interview but will definitely keep an eye out for the next in WHSmiths :)

Unless you live in a navy area you will probably have to order it

However Higs puts a digital copy on here most months. It is a month out of date (but so ids the navy ;))

I think I'm worried about putting on this persona of being confident and then getting "discovered" when I balls something up.
Still thinking that after 24 years in the mob and 20 in civvy street! Just did my End of Year performance review and lots of creative thinking needed!
Very few of us are born leaders but many are trainable. All you need is the tools and the rest will follow in time.
Exactly - go for it, if you pass AIB it means the mob has seen something in you that is already there, if you fail AIB then joining as a rating will get you the training to potentially go forward for officer 'from the ranks'. A large percentage of Naval Officers are from that stream.

The officer corp of todays RN is far different from that in my day.
Class and background have far less impact on selection.
This is for the better and so far as I can see from the outside looking in is working very well

Latest Threads