Advice on Medical Stage

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by WorriedMum, Nov 26, 2014.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there,

My son has just turned 18 and is in process of trying to join The Navy. He has passed his RT and interview, had his eyetest last week and now filling in the medical forms.

He had childhood wheeze whilst in primary school and had a couple of inhalers but has had no symptoms or medication for at least 7 years. He has declared this on his medical notes as required and I am in process of contacting GP for time details etc.. Is it worth me paying the fee for his medical notes before he goes for medical to save time toing and froing between GP and Navy M.E?

The main problem he has is an ingrown toenail, have taken him to GP today and he is being referred to see if nail needs removing or just part of it. I know he has to declare this on forms also but how will this affect his medical? Is it worth going to medical until this has been sorted?

I have been looking through forum to see if I can find clarification if there is a period of time he has to wait once he has had the nail removed but to no avail.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. I apologise for being a worry wort! Just want him to achieve his dreams and help him any way I can.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Fear not, he was right to declare his medical history correctly.

Firstly, he'll need to undergo a four week peak-flow diary, regaradless of how long ago he he was treated. This is mandatory so accept the fact there'll be a four week delay, and whilst completing the peak flow diary the medical examiner will write to his GP , enclosing a medical questionnaire for completion & return. By all means badger the GP to complete & return this whilst the peak flow diary is being completed. My advice is - save your money in case the GP doesn't answer all the questions required, let the Medical Examiner do that bit.

Ingrowing toenail? @nemesis1066 is best qualified to advise but I think it's viewed as a minor op under normal circumstances so it shouldn't delay too much, I'd hope. (Donating a kidney is only a six month delay, but major surgery is 12 months).

The "clock" for entry continues to tick whilst Temporarily Medically Unfit (TMU) pending resolution, but obviously those passing the medical examination, joining the same branch will be allocated an entry date upon completing selection first. We don't de-allocate those already given a provisional entry date to make room for those who passed the initial test earlier but delayed whilst TMU.

3. Although you can pay the fee for a subject access request, the Capita doctor gave me the choice if I wanted to receive this information as well. There is a tick box on the form he sends to the doctor to provide the exact same information requested about your sons medical history to him. I didn't because the doctor advised me it will take longer for the process to take it's course. (Or costs more, whateva' floats your boat!)

I am currently TMU while these forms get back to my doctor. And have also completed my Peak flow diary.

I wish him the best of luck.

4. Thanks for the quick response. Will get the medical forms posted and get the ball rolling for him. He is in 6th form and doesnt finish his A levels till June '15 so he has time on his side to go through the necessary procedures.

Is it best for him to do a peak flow diary from now or wait till he does the medical?

He passed his RT the 2nd time around as his maths part let him down the 1st time. He got a part time job and paid for a private tutor whilst he was waiting the 6mth period between the retake, retook his GCSE and gained a C from a previous D so want to see him reap the rewards from his hard work.

Thanks again, its such a relief to know I can ask questions if needed (after i try and scour the forum for previous answers of course!)

5. Can't imagine it would make a significant difference because they will still need to send the forms away. They give you the peak flow meter for free and the sheet to fill out each day and you simply provide it back to the doctor when you go back for the second medical.