Advice on knowledge for a newbie.

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by DHPearce, Feb 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First post on RR but have been browsing for a while.

I am in the process of applying for aircrew officer pilot and have my sift interview coming up, if any of you have any suggestions for reading material could you please post. I'm especially open to anything that would gain extra brownie points!

At the moment I try to read the navy news regularly as well as the guardian for navy and national current affairs. Anything about daily routine after BRNC and Royal Naval vessels and vehicles would be great! Also are there are any ratings departments that I should read up on?

I know there are a lot of questions but I know there will be a careers boffin or an old timer sailor that will find them a breeze!

Thanks in advance.
  2. Personally I prefer Andrex but your choice of bog roll is of course completely up to you. Seriously though, don't just read the Guardian if indeed you must read it at all, if you do, then read the Telegraph too to get the other side of the bias. Better still read a more middle of the road broadsheet like the Times or to an extent The Independent. Read the news articles on the RN website, do your own background research when you read an article, for example if you see in the newspaper that the carriers might be ditched then go online and read about the carrier programme, the problems so far, the various cases for and against their acquisition etc.

Listed to The Today programme or PM on iPlayer for good discussion of relevant news issues - essentially what I am getting at is it is no good knowing of the existance of a story, you need to familiarise yourself with the analysis of the issue too.

In terms of Navy knowledge, have a broad knowledge of current and future RN ships, submarines and aircraft as well as a basic knowledge of the role and structure of the Royal Marines and the RFA. Know about key people within the RN and the MOD - ie. 1SL,2SL, Cincfleet, CDS,CGS, Defence Secretary, Armed Forces Minister etc. Familiarise yourself with current RN involvement at home and abroad. Know the why as well as the where when it comes to current operations.

In terms of branch specific stuff, your aircraft knowledge should be very good, you should learn your likely career pipeline and at what points you may have to leave the aircrew pipeline and move to another option, likely general service warfare. Know what FATs involve and when grading is etc. Have an idea where you might be based should you be successful as aircrew.

This should be enough to get you going, it sounds like a lot but if you want to be aircrew you have a lot of competition. The AIB threads on here are a goldmine of information, use them to your advantage. Good luck.
  3. Thank you very much, exactly the type of answer I was looking for! Your help is much appreciated, I have been made very aware that competition will be fierce but that will hopefully make it more fun; I have never been a one to back down just because of competition.
  4. Thanks, that's very good to know. I know it sounds like a clueless question but obviously you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do. If you or anyone else has anything to throw into the mix please feel free.
  5. Useful for the essay and putting acquired Navy knowledge into a broader context though wouldn't you say?
  6. It suprises me in the decades since doing my aircrew selection that advice on general knowledge and the reading of good quality papers is now of no, or little concern.

To have a good general knowledge was essential to understanding what was going on around planet earth and gave the triccyclist something to get his teeth into.

I was fortunate enough to have had Chairman Mao Tse Tung die prior to my interview and I waxed lyrical on his demise.

However, all that said, it has been years since going through that ordeal so I will bow to those in the know. (Wouldn't stop me from reading the broadsheets though!!)

Oh yes - Good luck.
  7. Fair enough, although being in the forces already I suspect you naturally place your naval knowledge into a wider context without perhaps registering you are doing so. I would definately have thought that the more comfortable an applicant was with current affairs the more convincing they would sound when discussing RN commitments in interview.
  8. Do the same amount of controlled Landings as take offs and you should be fine. Only current affairs you need to know is how many maps can I get rid of to fit my nuts mag in my flight bag!

Say peachy and sweet work a lot and you will be sorted.
  9. **** me!!! Things have changed.

My Nav Bag was full of nutty, sod reading when a good old Marathon was to be had. Sorrrrryyy - Snickers!!! Kin PC.
  10. Fair enough, I was given the impression it was much more in depth that that but from your description it seems not. Oh well!