Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on knowledge for a newbie.

DHPearce

Newbie
First post on RR but have been browsing for a while.

I am in the process of applying for aircrew officer pilot and have my sift interview coming up, if any of you have any suggestions for reading material could you please post. I'm especially open to anything that would gain extra brownie points!

At the moment I try to read the navy news regularly as well as the guardian for navy and national current affairs. Anything about daily routine after BRNC and Royal Naval vessels and vehicles would be great! Also are there are any ratings departments that I should read up on?

I know there are a lot of questions but I know there will be a careers boffin or an old timer sailor that will find them a breeze!

Thanks in advance.
 

lonestar

War Hero
DHPearce said:
At the moment I try to read the navy news regularly as well as the guardian for navy and national current affairs.

Personally I prefer Andrex but your choice of bog roll is of course completely up to you. Seriously though, don't just read the Guardian if indeed you must read it at all, if you do, then read the Telegraph too to get the other side of the bias. Better still read a more middle of the road broadsheet like the Times or to an extent The Independent. Read the news articles on the RN website, do your own background research when you read an article, for example if you see in the newspaper that the carriers might be ditched then go online and read about the carrier programme, the problems so far, the various cases for and against their acquisition etc.

Listed to The Today programme or PM on iPlayer for good discussion of relevant news issues - essentially what I am getting at is it is no good knowing of the existance of a story, you need to familiarise yourself with the analysis of the issue too.

In terms of Navy knowledge, have a broad knowledge of current and future RN ships, submarines and aircraft as well as a basic knowledge of the role and structure of the Royal Marines and the RFA. Know about key people within the RN and the MOD - ie. 1SL,2SL, Cincfleet, CDS,CGS, Defence Secretary, Armed Forces Minister etc. Familiarise yourself with current RN involvement at home and abroad. Know the why as well as the where when it comes to current operations.

In terms of branch specific stuff, your aircraft knowledge should be very good, you should learn your likely career pipeline and at what points you may have to leave the aircrew pipeline and move to another option, likely general service warfare. Know what FATs involve and when grading is etc. Have an idea where you might be based should you be successful as aircrew.

This should be enough to get you going, it sounds like a lot but if you want to be aircrew you have a lot of competition. The AIB threads on here are a goldmine of information, use them to your advantage. Good luck.
 

DHPearce

Newbie
lonestar said:
DHPearce said:
At the moment I try to read the navy news regularly as well as the guardian for navy and national current affairs.

Personally I prefer Andrex but your choice of bog roll is of course completely up to you. Seriously though, don't just read the Guardian if indeed you must read it at all, if you do, then read the Telegraph too to get the other side of the bias. Better still read a more middle of the road broadsheet like the Times or to an extent The Independent. Read the news articles on the RN website, do your own background research when you read an article, for example if you see in the newspaper that the carriers might be ditched then go online and read about the carrier programme, the problems so far, the various cases for and against their acquisition etc.

Listed to The Today programme or PM on iPlayer for good discussion of relevant news issues - essentially what I am getting at is it is no good knowing of the existance of a story, you need to familiarise yourself with the analysis of the issue too.

In terms of Navy knowledge, have a broad knowledge of current and future RN ships, submarines and aircraft as well as a basic knowledge of the role and structure of the Royal Marines and the RFA. Know about key people within the RN and the MOD - ie. 1SL,2SL, Cincfleet, CDS,CGS, Defence Secretary, Armed Forces Minister etc. Familiarise yourself with current RN involvement at home and abroad. Know the why as well as the where when it comes to current operations.

In terms of branch specific stuff, your aircraft knowledge should be very good, you should learn your likely career pipeline and at what points you may have to leave the aircrew pipeline and move to another option, likely general service warfare. Know what FATs involve and when grading is etc. Have an idea where you might be based should you be successful as aircrew.

This should be enough to get you going, it sounds like a lot but if you want to be aircrew you have a lot of competition. The AIB threads on here are a goldmine of information, use them to your advantage. Good luck.

Thank you very much, exactly the type of answer I was looking for! Your help is much appreciated, I have been made very aware that competition will be fierce but that will hopefully make it more fun; I have never been a one to back down just because of competition.
 

DHPearce

Newbie
StixJimboRM said:
Don't get too caught up on current affairs, at AIB you won't be asked current affairs questions, it will be more like what the RN are doing at the moment and where there are ships etc. I wouldn't waste your time absorbing broadsheet newspapers day in day out

Thanks, that's very good to know. I know it sounds like a clueless question but obviously you guys know a hell of a lot more than I do. If you or anyone else has anything to throw into the mix please feel free.
 

lonestar

War Hero
StixJimboRM said:
Don't get too caught up on current affairs, at AIB you won't be asked current affairs questions, it will be more like what the RN are doing at the moment and where there are ships etc. I wouldn't waste your time absorbing broadsheet newspapers day in day out

Useful for the essay and putting acquired Navy knowledge into a broader context though wouldn't you say?
 

Waspie

War Hero
It suprises me in the decades since doing my aircrew selection that advice on general knowledge and the reading of good quality papers is now of no, or little concern.

To have a good general knowledge was essential to understanding what was going on around planet earth and gave the triccyclist something to get his teeth into.

I was fortunate enough to have had Chairman Mao Tse Tung die prior to my interview and I waxed lyrical on his demise.

However, all that said, it has been years since going through that ordeal so I will bow to those in the know. (Wouldn't stop me from reading the broadsheets though!!)

Oh yes - Good luck.
 

lonestar

War Hero
StixJimboRM said:
lonestar said:
StixJimboRM said:
Don't get too caught up on current affairs, at AIB you won't be asked current affairs questions, it will be more like what the RN are doing at the moment and where there are ships etc. I wouldn't waste your time absorbing broadsheet newspapers day in day out

Useful for the essay and putting acquired Navy knowledge into a broader context though wouldn't you say?

No, not really.

Fair enough, although being in the forces already I suspect you naturally place your naval knowledge into a wider context without perhaps registering you are doing so. I would definately have thought that the more comfortable an applicant was with current affairs the more convincing they would sound when discussing RN commitments in interview.
 
Do the same amount of controlled Landings as take offs and you should be fine. Only current affairs you need to know is how many maps can I get rid of to fit my nuts mag in my flight bag!

Say peachy and sweet work a lot and you will be sorted.
 

Waspie

War Hero
Joint_Force_Harrier said:
Do the same amount of controlled Landings as take offs and you should be fine. Only current affairs you need to know is how many maps can I get rid of to fit my nuts mag in my flight bag!

Say peachy and sweet work a lot and you will be sorted.

**** me!!! Things have changed.

My Nav Bag was full of nutty, sod reading when a good old Marathon was to be had. Sorrrrryyy - Snickers!!! Kin PC.
 

lonestar

War Hero
Fair enough, I was given the impression it was much more in depth that that but from your description it seems not. Oh well!
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Advice on gaining Naval History knowledge Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 34
K Deemed PMU, advice? Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated advice tailored to local COVID alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unlawful immigration advice given by Southall man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice on net-zero energy challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hull man guilty of giving unlawful immigration advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to bid for telephone advice contracts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for people who are struggling to pay essential bills because of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunities for telephone legal advice MoD News 0
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
MoD_RSS Pet owners reminded to seek advice on travel plans ahead of 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UEFA Champions League Finals Travel Advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS End to maintenance schedule relaxation and extended temporary bus schedules included in traffic commissioner COVID-19 advice update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Support frontline workers to engage parents struggling with safer sleeping advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
chorzxx Advice!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Advice on staying secure during COVID-19 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Almost £38 million support package for debt advice providers helping people affected by Coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to help councils fight procurement fraud MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Specialist Leisure Group companies in administration – advice for employees, creditors and customers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Up to £15 million to support the Citizens Advice service during COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
soleil ITV "Advice From A Submarine Captain: Six Lessons On How To Cope With Lockdown" Submariners 4
S Regretfully Cancelled Application - Advice Joining the Royal Navy 3
MoD_RSS GAD’s online advice about the insurance industry MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £5.4 million to support legal advice sector during the COVID-19 pandemic MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Letter to the ACMD on advice on emergency legislation to enable supply of controlled drugs MoD News 0
A Need Advice: Reserves to Regulars Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 36
MoD_RSS ACMD advice on administration rights for therapeutic radiographer independent prescribers MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Commission on Human Medicines advice on ibuprofen and coronavirus (COVID-19) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS ACMD advice on COVID-19 emergency legislation to enable supply of controlled drugs MoD News 0
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS New advice to protect homes of England’s seahorses and seabream MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice for safe funerals after discussions with faith leaders MoD News 0
BreathingOutOnTheWayUp Now the former TURBULENT CO adds his advice on surviving lockdown. Submariners 19
MoD_RSS New advice to support mental health during coronavirus outbreak MoD News 0
MoD_RSS COVID-19 Guidance: Advice to UK businesses in Switzerland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Mobile networks remove data charges for online NHS coronavirus advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Spain travel advice: Foreign Office statement, 18 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for moving around France MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel Advice: Foreign Secretary Statement, 17 March 2020 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Travel advice for the USA MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO statement on Spain travel advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS FCO statement on Poland travel advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Foreign Office statement: Spain Travel Advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus advice for Companies House customers and employees MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Coronavirus advice for rights applicants MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Olympiacos v Wolverhampton travel advice MoD News 0
L Advice on whether or not to join as a submariner Joining the Royal Navy 14
MoD_RSS Travel advice for England rugby fans travelling to Rome MoD News 0
N Preparation advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 31
Similar threads


















































Latest Threads

Top