Advice on joining

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by JSB, Dec 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. JSB

Hi all, I'm new to the site and have a few questions(apologies if this is posted in the wrong section)
    I'm 18 and interested in joining as a Medical Assistant. I currently have an ongoing application for the role of CMT in the Army (Only sat BARB test). However having recently discovered Rum Ration and looked at the RN, it appeals to me much more than the Army. (I'm kicking myself for not applying when I left school instead of wasting 2 years). I've spoken briefly to my local RN AFCO which told me to wait until after Christmas to attend a presentation. He advised me on waiting times (2 years) which I
    don't have a problem with. I told the recruiter I'm going to cancel my Army
    application but he advised me not to do anything yet.

My questions are:
    1. Will my previous applications to the army go against me?
    2. Are most potential recruits members/ex-members of the Sea Cadets? And is it frowned upon if you have not been?
    3. Regarding the MA role, what are the pros and cons of general vs submariner? Is it true that submariner has a shorter waiting list?
    4. Is there anything I can do in the time between an Interview to improve my chances?(e.g. first aid course and vouluntry work).

Thank you for any help in advance.
  2. Hiya JSB

I'm no Navy expert, however I applied to join the RAF before seeing sense and changing to the Navy. It did not go against me, they didn't even ask me about it in my interview. Also, it is most definitely not frowned upon to have not been a member of the sea cadets. The general advice on here to people who were members of the sea cadets is to keep your mouth shut and not to mention it whilst at training.

I can't answer the other questions for you sorry, but I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you advice and correct me if I am wrong :)

3. JSB

It's the same case with me, I rushed into the Army without considering anything else. It's good to know these things won't go against me :)

Thank you Sarah, Your answer really helped.
  4. My son has just joined, he's at Raleigh now, he reports most of his entry were not cadets and he is keeping shtum on his 7 years as a sea cadet :)

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk
  5. You're welcome!

Best of luck with your application and your Navy career when the time eventually comes :)
  6. JSB

Thanks for your reply, I'll keep that in mind and will do a bit more research on each of the roles. But I'll try not to get to ahead of myself as I haven't taken my RT yet.
  7. JSB

Thanks alot SandyCragg, that's reassuring to know! I can apply feeling confident my head won't be bitten off for not getting involved :)
  8. Hi Jon,

Q1: I applied to the RAF and got to OASC, and that didn't go against me, however they did ask me at filter interview why I changed my mind, so just bare that in mind.

Q2: I'm awaiting an entry date as a MA. I haven't been to Sea Cadets, I assume it isn't frowned upon because they'll teach you (beat it) into you at Raleigh. Obviously, if you've been to Sea Cadets, I'd assume you'd have a bit more experience in the field of becoming a sailor, but I doubt this would go against you. I stand to be corrected!

Q3: As SJRM_RN answered, you need to think what you want to do, and not just because of shorter waiting times. My information is a bit vague on what MA(SM) do, so best to wait for someone to come along and answer this!

Q4: I currently do St John Ambulance voluntary work, I'm an Advanced First Aider/First Responder, as to rack up experience in the field and deal with medic to casualty understanding, obviously it will probably be a whole lot different in the Navy, but its just the basics to get to grips with it all. There are plenty of organisations where you can build up your experience if that's the trade you opt for.

9. Unless things have changed dramatically over the last 18 yrs since I left after 22 yrs in the Branch ...

1. No
    2. No & No
    3. I have no ideas about waiting times however the SM and General roles are vastly different and you missed out the possiblility of MA(RM)!

RM MA's always were recruited from within the branch and they spent at least 5 yrs with The Corps (often longer) and were alongside Royal in the thick of it ... e.g. if "Royals" being shot at ... You're being shot at!

General Service MA's spent time in the hospitals (Haslar / Stonehouse) and manned Sick Bay's ashore and afloat. Large ships (Carriers / LSG's etc) had a full Medical Team eg Dr, CPOMA, POMA, LMA's and MA's while the small ships (Frigates/Destroyers) had an LMA or POMA and unless you were on a big deployment you were on your own ... no Dr - therefore a lot of responsibility - the buck stopped with you.

SM MA's in my day were only on the nukes as O Boats were still running and covered the Sick Bay as well as the Nuclear Physics side of things.

With SM and RM you had to do the additional training that went with the role e.g green lid course or submariners course.

4. It wouldn't hurt - but a lot of "military medicine" is different from civilain medicine and you will get retrained fully anyway so don't get too hung up on it.

Good luck!
  10. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

I think you can join the Corps now and go on to be a MA instead of sniper/signaller/cook/ladyboy etc.
  11. I bow to your superior knowledge Blobs! We were drafted into the Corps as an MA and subsequently had to do a beat-up then the All Arms Course and it was a 5 yr minimum draft until we could return to General Service ... having said that most of the Bootie MA's stayed on. The other way we got drafted was as a blue beret into an SST attached to 3 Cdo Bgde.

I must say it makes sense to "grow your own" because of the additional training you really needed as a Bootie (Cross-dressing etc).
  12. JSB

Thanks for your answer MA_89, it helped a lot. That's a long way to get, you must of had a big change of heart. I think I will get myself booked on to a few St.John's courses and take it from there. Can't hurt just to know the basics after all. Good luck with your start dates aswell :)
  13. JSB

I did do a little research on this but I read that the Royal Marines didn't train MA's anymore and once you were trained as a Navy MA you could attempt a easier/watered down version of the All Arms Commando Course and then serve with the RM's. But then again I read this on a forum like The student Room or Yahoo Answers so I don't know how reliable that is.

Thanks for the insight MG Maniac, this is exactly what I was looking for MG Maniac. I'll have to do a bit more research on which role may suit me more (if I'm lucky enough to get that far).
  14. JSB

Thanks for the great answers everybody, really informative and helpful :)
  15. JSB

It's a good thing I can get the facts on here before meeting any :) I did'nt mean to cause any offence, I should probably take less notice off Yahoo and the like.