Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice on joining the RN.

crash_evans

War Hero
Totally agree [mention]Was [/mention] I joined with no GCSE’s (was a bad ass/idiot/naughty child with the then much unknown ADHD). Did my NAMET IN RAL and did ok. I wasn’t going to be setting the world alight.

Fast forward to LOM’s course and I take the Tiffs exam and pass. Recommended for it, but it didn’t seem like it was what I wanted. So I stayed put.

I’ve only got back into education in maybe the last 5 years. My 40’s were knocking on the door and I didn’t have anything to show for it. So I did my GCSE’s (I should have done it 25 years earlier!) and my degree in leadership and management. All paid for by the RN.

Say what you want about the gash times and 9 monthers, but the RN has really looked after me through some tough times and sorted me out. I can’t recommended it highly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waspie

War Hero
Totally agree [mention]Was [/mention] I joined with no GCSE’s (was a bad ass/idiot/naughty child with the then much unknown ADHD). Did my NAMET IN RAL and did ok. I wasn’t going to be setting the world alight.

Fast forward to LOM’s course and I take the Tiffs exam and pass. Recommended for it, but it didn’t seem like it was what I wanted. So I stayed put.

I’ve only got back into education in maybe the last 5 years. My 40’s were knocking on the door and I didn’t have anything to show for it. So I did my GCSE’s (I should have done it 25 years earlier!) and my degree in leadership and management. All paid for by the RN.

Say what you want about the gash times and 9 monthers, but the RN has really looked after me through some tough times and sorted me out. I can’t recommended it highly enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, it was confidence gained in the mob that motivated me to get on. (Even with a mere 1:1 NAMET!!!)
Sensible head kicked in only when I changed to Aircrew. Then work hard play hard took over.

We are masters of our own destiny's. No-one else to blame for decisions made or not made!!!!

Chris P

War Hero
Thanks @crash_evans , every day a learning day they say. Always true on here.

As for GCSE's, how times have changed. Emphasis these days being on Quals. I have managed to get through life with, (this may take a while to count!!!!) Oh yes - None!!!! Aircraft Fitter, then Aircrew. British Red Cross (Paid) not a volunteer!!! Financial Consultant, (paid con man), MoD for another 20 years. Great pensions and all on the back of my big gob!!!

Todays youth have certainly more hurdles to jump than my generation ever did. Power to the elbow!!
I'll second that..

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Ratings Joining Advice - 25 Year Old Grad Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 33
W Pre Joining Fitness Test Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
E Considering joining the Royal Navy- looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
Oldest_Nozzer Re-Joining the RN - Some Advice Please.. Joining the Royal Navy 4
J Advice on joining the RN/RNR Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
A Last year in school need advice about joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
Borochap Ex RN Chef thinking of joining up, advice please... RFA 67
A Hi looking for pre joining medical advice please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
M Considering joining the navy but need advice. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
B Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
P Advice for a mum joining as an MA Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 39
T Need advice re: RMR joining in 1-2 years. RMR 1
S Joining, advice? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
J Advice on joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
Q Thinking of joining the RNR... some serious advice please! Royal Naval Reserve (RNR) 7
T Thinking of joining up. just after some advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
C Joining January looking for advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 25
R Advice on joining with mild turrets syndrome Health & Fitness 32
S Info - Advice - Joining Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
S info - advice - joining Health & Fitness 1
D Preston, RMR Manchester and joining advice [Noob] RMR 3
Lost_Soul Joining Advice Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
MoD_RSS Unregulated immigration advice earns Directors £17,000 fine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice to local planning authorities on the application of The Town and Country Planning (General Permitted Development) (England) (Amendment) (No. 4) MoD News 0
MoD_RSS JCVI issues advice on the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for clinically extremely vulnerable in new Tier 4 areas MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New advice to help savers make the most of their pensions MoD News 0
T Signal Flag Advice History 16
MoD_RSS Civil news: telephone advice tender for immigration work opens MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New UK-wide advice on ear tags for livestock exporters MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Companies House issue ‘don’t leave it until the last minute’ advice to businesses MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hauliers get border-ready with 45 new information and advice sites MoD News 0
MoD_RSS 80 hours unpaid work for giving unregulated immigration advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Crime news: tender opens for police station telephone advice work MoD News 0
D Failed at Selection Interview - Looking for advice going forwards Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
K Deemed PMU, advice? Joining the Royal Navy 4
MoD_RSS Clinically extremely vulnerable receive updated advice tailored to local COVID alert levels MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Unlawful immigration advice given by Southall man MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice on net-zero energy challenges MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Hull man guilty of giving unlawful immigration advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: opportunity to bid for telephone advice contracts MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Advice for people who are struggling to pay essential bills because of coronavirus MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Civil news: tender opportunities for telephone legal advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Pet owners reminded to seek advice on travel plans ahead of 1 January 2021 MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UEFA Champions League Finals Travel Advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS End to maintenance schedule relaxation and extended temporary bus schedules included in traffic commissioner COVID-19 advice update MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Support frontline workers to engage parents struggling with safer sleeping advice MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Getting back behind the wheel? Here’s some useful advice MoD News 0
chorzxx Advice!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 12
MoD_RSS Advice on staying secure during COVID-19 MoD News 0