Advice on joining the RN/RNR

Hi all,

I am 6 weeks away from going to Dartmouth for AOP19 - Accelerated Officer's Programme to pass out as a general entry officer RNR in September.

However, recently I was asked why I don't join full time, and I didn't have much of an answer.
I'm about to finish my teacher training qualification and have found teaching more difficult, and less rewarding than expected.
I'm an ex URNU student, so I have some degree of confidence with expectations etc, on officers, but not a great idea of possible careers/progression in either the RN or RNR.

I am going to organise a meeting at my afco, but any advice on the matter would be appreciated. Should I sack off the teaching and see if I can join Dartmouth full time? Or should I continue with the Reserves and explore the opportunity down the line to transfer form Reserve to Regular? - Does anybody do this?

Branch-wise, I am interested in intelligence, but as seems to be a trend, there is little to no information about branch choices in the RNR. If I were to join full time I would join Warfare.

I want something exciting and rewarding - I'm confident the Navy can offer this, teaching less so.

Thanks for any replies.

Branch-Hopper

War Hero
Thanks, as ever @Sumo

@JCTeckering :
This is very difficult to answer without knowing more about you personally, and your life, loves and aspirations long-term. However......

I believe that your AIB pass can be used to join regular or reserves. However I doubt that a transfer to an RN course at BRNC will be a given. The primary reason for this is the way we are recruited. RN candidates (both BRNC and Raleigh) enter Phase One on the basis that the RN need X number of Y branch types to get to P2 at establishment Z for a course starting on the 15th of Mayvember.

RNR get bounced through P1 and choose the branch just before confirmation course. So, you would need to go back to the AFCO, get branched for RN then see if you get selected for a particular entry for that branch. I am not in a position to know what the current status is of Warfare recruiting. Of course, being a qualified teacher, Schoolie is open to you.

As to your questions about the intelligence branch: It's intelligence, it's secret, it wont be on the internet. QED. You may do better to visit the RNR unit you would join, and find a bod there to give you a non-caveated brief.

The option for transfer between RN & RNR is being written as I type. In future years who knows what might be possible. But an RNR bod can only be any use once they get to trained strength. Likewise you may find an FTRS job that suits you. Either way you will need to pass through BRNC first.

As I see it the options to you at the mo are:
a) Proceed with the RNR and look at an RN entry in months to come, or even as a concurrent activity.
b) Stop everything and start again with an RN Warfare application.
Frankly, if you have a space confirmed on RNR AOP I'd stick with it for the time being.

Caveat: Branch-Hopper is not a recruiter and recommends the guru formerly known as @Ninja_Stoker

Anchor Faced

Lantern Swinger
Branch-wise, I am interested in intelligence, but as seems to be a trend, there is little to no information about branch choices in the RNR. If I were to join full time I would join Warfare.
I completed AOP18 and recently put in my branch preferences (post fleetboard). PM me any branch questions and I will try to help.

Chalk_bosun

Lantern Swinger
Should I sack off the teaching
As an ex-teacher, I want to say "yes"... however as a parent, I worry that soon there will be no teachers left to babysit educate my children. It's not for everyone but equally if you find the right school(s) it can be a very rewarding career. It's really up to you.

You may find that your teaching background is very applicable to the RN Training Management Officer role; it will be worth looking into this if you haven't already.

I have done both RN and RNR; each have commonalities as well as unique benefits/drawbacks but both are great options.

I would potentially stick with AOP for now and get to trained strength, there may then be the option to transfer or undertake Full Time Reserve Service later on. This will also give you a much better idea of whether the Naval Service is worth (for you) committing more time to (i.e. full-time), and also giving teaching enough of a chance - I'd recommend trying different schools (don't let one or two put you off, they are all wildly different).

If you'd like to know more about RN/RNR branches or anything else, feel free to PM.

Latest Threads