Advice on gaining Naval History knowledge

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by scottie, Oct 14, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Re: Communications Technician

Hi All,

I am on annual leave from work next week with no plans to fly abroad and was considering visiting the RN Museum at Portsmouth.

The website doesnt really show much so can someone advise me of the best places to go?

I was also hoping to maybe board a ship to see what the environment is like of a 'live' ship, as well as gaining a better knowledge of the Naval History and also understanding the structure and placing of leaders.

Can anyone assist? Best places to go? Interesting places to visit etc?

2. You can buy a ticket to all the attractions in the historic dockyard which allows a return visit. You'll get the Warrior, Victory, Mary Rose (nice if you like looking at a damp wood frame), Action Stations and the Museum. You won't get on a running warship.
    The Naval Historical Branch is also here in Portsmouth. I think that's access by appointment only though.

3. With regard to going on board a RN ship, keep a look out for port visits around the UK, for instance, HMS Illustrious is in Liverpool this weekend.

4. Thanks All

5. Read Navy News on a regular basis.

6. I do, i go to my AFCO every month to pick it up

7. Tight @rse.

8. Ship open to visitors 1000/1600 hrs Saturday 18th October :thumright:

9. is it only this weekend?

or does anyone know of any anywhere else between 20th Oct and 26th Oct?

10. anyone know?

11. Must be doing sumat for trafalger.

12. :thumright: Their was if you sailed with Admiral Horatio Lord Nelson on Hms Victory 21st OCT 1805 at TRAFALGAR :thumright: SOMETHING did :w00t: happen :w00t: :thumright:

13. So the best place to find out the port visits is Navy News?

14. HMS Liverpool is visiting, umm, Liverpool from November 19-24, don't know if she'll be open to visitors though.

15. Cheers Mate

16. I suggest you pick up a book I recently acquired:

Battle at Sea: 3000 Years of Naval Warfare, by R.G. Grant. Its an enlightening read, ranging from the Romans to the present day. Tactics, ships, leaders, weapons the lot.

In regards to Illustrious, anyone here going on board this sunday? I'm going on and sailing with her to Portsmouth, invited by the AFCO.

17. You must ask HIG !!!!! what you must wear! :salut: :w00t: :thumright:

18. I asked my AFCO, normal casual kit plus some warm/waterproof clothing :salut:

19. Oh!!! i thought you were going to Istanbull ?? Nudge Nudge Wink Wink :w00t: :thumright: Dont get lost in the Pool . look for the Liverbirds :thumright: and enjoy
    http://usera.ImageCave.com/scouse/ark1portrait(1).jpg