Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Advice on ENG1 doctors - the good the bad and the ugly

I've been reading up on the eng1 over the past few months and am finally at that stage. I've seen that some of the eng1 doctors are straightforward and others are strict.

My nearest is Nottingham has anyone had theirs there and can review?

Also anyone else had particularly easy or strict ones elsewhere?

Cheers for any replies

Honestly I prefer the strict ones as they actually do their jobs and you have a fair idea of your health at the end. Be honest with them, if they have concerns work with them to alleviate them, its better for you and your future crew mates.

The ENG1 is the minimum standard to be working at sea (ie selling perfume in the shop of a cross channel ferry), if you cannot meet it unrestricted you have to ask is it safe for you to be going deep offshore.

Remember your life is more important than a job, and for everyone else aboard it gets deeply depressing when one of your crew mates dies because of something avoidable.

Thanks Random, very good points there. I suppose I'm a tad nervous being an older candidate leaving a career to do this. Worried that if I get a stickler of a doctor they'll view me in the context of a 17yo and I won't get a fair crack of the whip. I know from reading the standards and 'guidance to doctors' that the initial eng1 is tougher and certain elements relax for renewals.

As I said this is a minimum standard, its not a military fitness test, the job is harder than the medical standard hence my concern about people gaming the system.

Not sure what you mean by being an older candidate; however I am certain from your research that you know we could, on average, be referred to as a rather mature service! and most of us pass our medicals without an issue.

All I can say is the standards look scarier than the physical actually is, if you are worried give one of the Drs off the list a call and discuss so you can get your health in the best shape possible before visiting.

Also its not a once off; fail anything and they will tell you what you need to pass; fix the issues and then they will pass you.

For me they initially had concerns about my colour vision (I cant pass the Ishihara book test due to pattern recognition issues), however I went off and did all the proper medical colour tests (Farnsworth D15, City, etc) and by passing them I gained the required full unrestricted.

Thanks Random, very good points there. I suppose I'm a tad nervous being an older candidate leaving a career to do this. Worried that if I get a stickler of a doctor they'll view me in the context of a 17yo and I won't get a fair crack of the whip. I know from reading the standards and 'guidance to doctors' that the initial eng1 is tougher and certain elements relax for renewals.
I'm RN, but RN/RFA. Medicals are just that. They are the one part of the process we have no control over. In my chosen profession I have seen super fit guys fail and what I would call 'stick insects' pass. None of us can control, to a degree, what is going on inside us.
Good luck with the medical. Like someone said, if you do get a strict Doc and you pass - great. If he tells you you have something, try and take the positives and accept you have a problem and now your aware you can get it sorted. Don't sweat it - we are what we are.

Thanks guys. Maybe I'm overthinking it and worrying excessively? To clarify I'm 40 and looking to start a cadetship in June. I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason, so fully on board with your sentiments of "it will be what it'll be" but as an ex squaddie my mantra is "why be uncomfortable if you can help it".

Thanks guys. Maybe I'm overthinking it and worrying excessively? To clarify I'm 40 and looking to start a cadetship in June. I'm a firm believer in everything happening for a reason, so fully on board with your sentiments of "it will be what it'll be" but as an ex squaddie my mantra is "why be uncomfortable if you can help it".
No more trenches then!!!!:D

You will find in the RFA adding "If you dont ask, you dont get" to your mantra list is helpful :-D nothing wrong with your questions, but to be honest only a MCA Doctor will be able to answer your concerns well enough to stop the worry.

As to your age, pretty average for us, plenty of older and a few younger around! a lot of the SE department are prior military so its not unusual to see an older face learning the ropes.

Just for any other newbie panicking as much as me when I initially posted this, I can confirm it's a fair process and I needn't have worried so much. I had my first eng1 today got what I was expecting (unrestricted, 1yr) which was the best I could have hoped for with the eng1 flowchart.

Latest Threads