Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Advice needed

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
hi all im hoping to join thee navy in the relative near future,im just about to send my application form off. In my current job i am due to start my HGV on monday...courtesy of the company. Today after work the called my up the yard and then went on to present me with a contract, which they want me to sign for aquiring my hgv...basically it says i gotta stay with them for two years otherwise i have to pay for for the license/course.

im just wondering if this sort of contract actually is legally binding with now solicitors or witnesses or anything.

Cheers

joe_145

Lantern Swinger
cheers mate...i might tell them to change it to a year...cause chances are i wont actually be signing up for at least a year...with recruiting process/waiting times

JW7121

Lantern Swinger
joe_145 said:
hi all im hoping to join thee navy in the relative near future,im just about to send my application form off. In my current job i am due to start my HGV on monday...courtesy of the company. Today after work the called my up the yard and then went on to present me with a contract, which they want me to sign for aquiring my hgv...basically it says i gotta stay with them for two years otherwise i have to pay for for the license/course.

im just wondering if this sort of contract actually is legally binding with now solicitors or witnesses or anything.

Cheers

Yes it is. I currently work in logistics, in charge of several HGV's, and we do the same with HGV drivers. It costs a lot of money to train people and put them through HGV so they expect a minimum in return, just as the Navy will expect you to complete a mnimum return of service. The company are investing in you and therefore, quite reasonably, expect something back from you, so they will have estimted that to re-coup the cost of training you, it will take 2 years. There is no point in asking them to reduce it to a year. If you leave before two years you will expected to pay them back a proportion of what they spent on training you.

slim

War Hero
Sign the contract. The RN will still be here in two years time, an HGV course for free may not be. The HGV will be very useful to you if you want top earn a few pounds during leaves. :p

JW7121

Lantern Swinger
slim said:
Sign the contract. The RN will still be here in two years time, an HGV course for free may not be. The HGV will be very useful to you if you want top earn a few pounds during leaves. :p

Depending on the branch, the waiting time may well be two years anyway!

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Funnily enough, ALL Royal Marines & Royal Naval ratings that complete Recruit & Trade training have a Return of Service of 2.5 years, before they can then submit 12 months notice to quit as stated by Jim earlier. It's a legally binding contract.

Interestingly, all Royal Marines Commandos who complete Recruit Training, get a freebie driving licence and taught up to what used to be called HGV1, regardless of trade, providing they are over 17.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
O Advice needed on order of medals earned by my Granddad in WW2 History 29
R Advice needed after DUDT Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
T Advice needed: officer vs rating Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
D Dartmouth or RNP? Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 14
M Suxamethonium Sensitivity - advice needed Joining the Royal Navy 1
A Advice needed! RFA 10
B PMU for Pilot - advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
T Advice needed please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
T RFA Hearing requirements - advice needed! RFA 3
D Please, urgent advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
matt93 HELP - advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 5
J Warfare Officer - advice needed about my eligibility Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
J Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 22
M Help and advice needed!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 15
K advice needed (mom of future AET)..!! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 40
R Advice needed (Missus....) Diamond Lil's 23
B Joining as a rating after AIB fail. Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 27
daffy1 Advice Needed regarding issue of kit Bases / Shore Est 2
I Advice needed for 'Yomping' training The Corps 13
W Some advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 23
S Urgent advice needed Health & Fitness 14
chatsharris A bit of advice needed... (Fancy Dress) Diamond Lil's 33
security_geek Mopeds and such like - Some advice needed Motoring 8
P Advice needed RFA 3
tug1970 Advice Needed Health & Fitness 2
seenoffteefcuk Advice needed Diamond Lil's 30
C Advice Needed Health & Fitness 2
chockhead819 Advice needed - accident Diamond Lil's 19
S advice needed Diamond Lil's 218
S Factual Careers advice needed please? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
U Advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
L advice needed! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
V Graduate Career Change to RN - Advice Needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 20
K AET or WS Career advice needed. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S Some good advice needed! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 10
M air engineering technician - advice needed please Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 72
S Med Advice Needed - Application post wrist op Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 2
S A bit of advice needed, ref a problem with JPA Diamond Lil's 2
wet_blobby RISK....advice needed. Diamond Lil's 14
T Where's Higgy.... sartorial advice needed urgently.... Diamond Lil's 1
D LOA and the Falklands - Advice needed Finance & Pensions 24
TheAaronP Some advice needed. Health & Fitness 4
M Advice Needed Please??? Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 4
I advice needed Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 16
ProudNavyWife(tooBe) Advice Needed Submariners 30
G Any help greatfully appreciated. Advice/info needed The Fleet Air Arm 12
L Interview Advice Needed for some peace of mind.. Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 18
1ManRiot Bit of a conundrum- advice needed! RMR 10
NorthernSub Advice needed for a trainee submariner Submariners 38
brazenhussy advice on decorum needed........ Diamond Lil's 26