Advice needed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by joe_145, Sep 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi all im hoping to join thee navy in the relative near future,im just about to send my application form off. In my current job i am due to start my HGV on monday...courtesy of the company. Today after work the called my up the yard and then went on to present me with a contract, which they want me to sign for aquiring my hgv...basically it says i gotta stay with them for two years otherwise i have to pay for for the license/course.

im just wondering if this sort of contract actually is legally binding with now solicitors or witnesses or anything.

2. cheers mate...i might tell them to change it to a year...cause chances are i wont actually be signing up for at least a year...with recruiting process/waiting times
  3. Joe, I have PM'ed you about this.
  4. Yes it is. I currently work in logistics, in charge of several HGV's, and we do the same with HGV drivers. It costs a lot of money to train people and put them through HGV so they expect a minimum in return, just as the Navy will expect you to complete a mnimum return of service. The company are investing in you and therefore, quite reasonably, expect something back from you, so they will have estimted that to re-coup the cost of training you, it will take 2 years. There is no point in asking them to reduce it to a year. If you leave before two years you will expected to pay them back a proportion of what they spent on training you.
  5. Sign the contract. The RN will still be here in two years time, an HGV course for free may not be. The HGV will be very useful to you if you want top earn a few pounds during leaves. :p
  6. Depending on the branch, the waiting time may well be two years anyway!
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Funnily enough, ALL Royal Marines & Royal Naval ratings that complete Recruit & Trade training have a Return of Service of 2.5 years, before they can then submit 12 months notice to quit as stated by Jim earlier. It's a legally binding contract.

Interestingly, all Royal Marines Commandos who complete Recruit Training, get a freebie driving licence and taught up to what used to be called HGV1, regardless of trade, providing they are over 17.