advice needed

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by IB08, Jun 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, here is my current situation. I have been told that I will not be called before AIB untill "at least early september", and I am currently working at a bar having just finished my A levels. I have just submitted an application to my local police force for the role of PCSO as I would like to strengthen my CV before attempting the board. Does anyone know how long it would take for the police to get back to me, and do you think it is even worth applying for this role in order to strengthen my standing at AIB? Btw if anyone has any relevant knowledge i will pm them the police force I have applied to. Thanks guys, and sorry for the loong post LOL. :thumright:

2. I have a funny feeling someone from NZ will reply...

3. I hope so! I need advice from someone in the know, if it helps I know the police force i have applied to are short on "blunketts bobbies" LOL.

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Have you tried asking this question on http://www.policeoracle.com/forum? :?

5. As I have no idea what the feck she's on about, PCSO's(??) were created after I left the UK, it won't be me. :thumright:
    Sensible thing to do would be to ask the Police Force concerned and not RR. :afro:
    NZB

6. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

NZB: They're like Regimental Police; wanna be Redcaps... :twisted:

7. Yeah, basically like police officers but with less powers. Go on foot/bikepatrols, more focus on anti social behaviour, underage drinking, community relations and the like.

8. Dogs Body.

9. LOL does anyone seriously know of any real life coppers who could help answer this question? Btw I have gone onto police oracle, thanks sgt pepper.

10. where abouts do you live? i would suppose some forces require more than others.

11. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Go into your local Nick and ask if someone has time for a chat, my understanding is that PCSO's are not generally well regarded, but this may vary from area to area, I left Plod before PCSO's came in but I'm sure that someone locally will advise you. Good luck.

12. PM either Nutty of the Yard or Higthepig, but don't expect them to be complimentary about Noo Labours New Model Special Constables.

You could always consider a placement with VSO. Many years ago when I was skin (we're talking 1981 here) I applied to do a six month stint working with young offenders getting board and lodging free and the princely sum of £5 a week pocket money. :razz: Rather surprisingly I didn't end up being cynical but turned out more liberal than ever! :biggrin:

13. Hmm, padding a resume/CV with extra curricular activity is never a great idea especially if it's within a 6 month period of your application.

Although your idea to join as a special constable sounds like a good idea in your head, it may not be seen as a good idea by a recruiting office/HR desk. You may find that your attempt to pad your CV with experiences will have the reader thinking that you may be just a case of flinging enough el torro poop against the wall in a hope that something sticks or that you may be not be genuinely interested in either occupation. Be careful.

And be honest with yourself, in a 6 month period, just how much experience are you going to get that will put you above the rest of the herd? Now if you had been a special for the last couple of years, I'd give you more credence on actually having the experience you are trying to convince the AIB that you have.

Keep in mind as well, you've never been a sailor/Officer and there is nothing that you can possibly do that will give you the experience of being an Officer except to actually be an Officer.

14. Niner. I think youre right actually. Thanks for the heads up! Ive just received my AIB date- the 15th september whoop whoop. Im kakking my load about it tho LOL.

15. IB08, somewhere on the net is a civvy/military skill comparison list. It's used mostly for PERS leaving the mob for demonstrating transferable skills to a civvy job. You might want to check it out, and have ready for your interview, concrete examples of all your acquired skills and how they might be useful to the Navy.

For example, use your work in a pub/bar to demonstrate that you can work with "difficult' people (will people listen to you?- do you have a presence? - can you resolve a sticky situ?). Or use an example of quickly memorizing lists of orders (always good for evolutions) or ordering supplies (sea loggies love supply chain managers).

Then spend the summer reading up on all things Navy.

Good luck.

16. I'd suggest stopping "kakking your load" and, to be honest, wouldn't bother PCSOing. Never have really seen the point of them anyway, but don't confuse police "officers" with Naval Officers. The lowest (military) Officer-equivalent rank in the police is Inspector. Don't think you'll make that as a PCSO in 6 months!

17. LOL i didnt know that angry doc! Actually I think thats quite a good idea, using my bar experience of difficult customers etc, there sure are a hell of a lot of them. I shall read up on all things navy this summer like you say, and hopefully will be able to pass AIB well come september time. Thanks guys.