Advice needed

My son has just been discharged from his training in navy with BR3 (1)
He was caught smoking once and got a tier 1 disapline , he was then called in again for smoking when he actually did not do it but his team leader said she saw him, it has come to light there has been a lot of bullying in there , my son did not put a case together to defend himself as he was so shocked what was happening , only when he has hit home the realisation has hit him , he has an 18 month ban to rejoin the navy , Will this stop him from applying for the army as Military is all he has ever wanted to do .

NotLost

Midshipman
If he does want to be in the military then he shouldnt have broken the rules. Discipline is a core value in any service and bullying is not on, he should have reported anything he was concerned about. Standing up against bullying will not only benefit him but also his peers and the service.

Waspie

War Hero
My son has just been discharged from his training in navy with BR3 (1)
He was caught smoking once and got a tier 1 disapline , he was then called in again for smoking when he actually did not do it but his team leader said she saw him, it has come to light there has been a lot of bullying in there , my son did not put a case together to defend himself as he was so shocked what was happening , only when he has hit home the realisation has hit him , he has an 18 month ban to rejoin the navy , Will this stop him from applying for the army as Military is all he has ever wanted to do .
Seems he hasn't quite grasped service life. If he thinks the RN is a bullying service, it hasn't got a patch on the Army. Now if he wants pink and fluffy. I would recommend the RAF.

Rules are there for a reason, do wrong, get caught, take it on the chin. No point whining when you get home.

If, as you say he has 'only ever wanted' to join the military he doesn't seem to have wanted it as much as you believe. If you want something as bad as that you bite the bullet and play the long game.

Probably the wrong forum to complain to as most of us have been there and done it. Scars/medals and medical treatments to prove it!! Most of us have done wrong, most of us have been caught and most of us have received some sort of punishment as a result. We still played the game and ended up staying in for pension. (That's 22 years for ratings if your not aware).

Polto

War Hero
I'm not comfortable with giving an opinion on something that happened when I clearly wasn't there and have no knowledge of the situation.

For what it's worth, he should have some form of written notification that would state if he is 'Unable to join the forces...' or 'Unable to join the RN...' etc. Having said that, there is no harm in seeking advice form a recruiter even if it's only just to clarify the situation. Many cases similar to yours are judged on their merits and these lie within the minds of the people, so, dependant upon the full picture I would say there's no harm in asking, but be prepared to be advised to wait. Honesty is always the best policy as I am sure you will know.
People have in the past rejoined after being discharged so yours won't be the first.

Good luck.

Drakey

War Hero
The military is not his life - Yet. If he wants to join the Army he needs to be honest with the Army recruiter. He will have to declare his previous service and they will then ask the Navy about him. I feel there is more to this than he is telling you.

ChiefElec

99% of discipline in any of the Services and I include Blue Lamp services in this, is self discipline. The rules in basic training are there for a reason, if it is a no smoking area , it means no smoking. That is a simple fact, if the emissions control state is that no mobiles are be used what is he going to do? Think "Ah nobody will know and jeopardise the ship and her Ship's Company. Learn early, and thank his lucky stars that the Naval Discipline Act has changed over the hundreds of years it has been enforced.

Totally understand that 1st time yes and he held his hands up next time not been caught just word of mouth . So does that still stand fir a discipline even if he hasn’t been caught and someone has just said that seen him ,

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Totally understand that 1st time yes and he held his hands up next time not been caught just word of mouth . So does that still stand fir a discipline even if he hasn’t been caught and someone has just said that seen him ,
I still think there's a lot more to this than you've been told.

Or a wind up...seems a little far fetched....stretching credibility? Or
Three sides to every story, one side, the other side and somewhere in the middle, the truth.

Waspie

War Hero
It's service life. If he/she wants a life in the military - suck it up. It is what it is. Discipline is far more restrained than it ever was.

For me it's either; put up or shut up!!

Sorry, blunt I know. That's the services for ya!!

Last edited:

Latest Threads