Advice needed on order of medals earned by my Granddad in WW2

Orange77

Midshipman
I think @Orange77 's grandfather was RN as he was on HMS ROberts. He may be referring to the RN linen service record as opposed to the MN records.

I've still got my linen SC ,up until it all went computerised, I don't know about it's waterproof abilities and I'm reluctant to find out the hard way!!
WreckerL that's it yes a linen thing. Just uploaded. He was Royal Navy yes. A stoker to be exact!

Orange77

Midshipman
I'll just add my 5p worth. You read a row of medals (or rows of medal ribbons) in much the same way you read a book, that is, left to right (and for ribbons only on a uniform jacket, start from the top). VC and/or GC come first. Next, for ribbons only, the senior orders of Chivalry - Garter, Thistle, Bath, St Michael & St George. Next, the DSO, the Victorian Order, the Order of Merit, the Imperial Service Order, the Order of the British Empire and the Order of Companion of Honour. Bear in mind that, out of that lot, the only ones worn as medals are the VC, GC, DSO, LVO, MVO, ISO, OBE and MBE. CBs, CMGs, CVOs, OMs and CHs are all worn around the neck, and I don't believe a CH is worn as a ribbon, being primarily a civilian decoration.

There's a trick or two here. If you see an Order the British Empire ribbon first, followed by a DSO, the holder is either a GBE, KBE or CBE as well as a DSO. If a DSO comes first, the holder is a DSO and an OBE or MBE.

For more information, look at the Wikipedia article "Military awards and decorations of the United Kingdom".
Thank you for the 5p huwships! I am going to get them arranged in order (as far as I can fathom) and then just check back. So many people know so much on here. It's great!!

Orange77

Midshipman
Screenshot 2019-12-03 at 16.43.13.jpeg

Now I just need to decipher what he was on, and what he did. I believe he was a stoker and other than HMS Roberts, I recall HMS Campion.

Any help with the other bits would be very appreciated. I believe when he was discharged he may have had a promotion to a higher grade of stoker.

The reason he chose stoker according to my Grandma was because he never wanted to kill anyone. I am guessing that below decks that kept him away from the action.

slim

War Hero
Nice set of Docs VG Supperior , so good at his job.
Your records show that he was promoted to Acting Leading Dtoker on 1st June 1943
He kept this rate until his discharge 2nd Sept 1945 when he may have been discharged.
He should have been paid for this promotion but would have been unable to loose the acting part of the rank until he completed his leading rates qualifying course. Due to the war being on this may have never happened.
He was certainly a Grandad to be proud of

huwshpis

War Hero
Reading the record of service, his ships were:

1) HMS Drake, ex HMS Marshal Ney, stokers' training ship
2) HMS Cabot, stone frigate in Wetherby, Yorkshire
3) HMS Spartiate, the St Enoch Hotel in Glasgow as depot for HMS Roberts
4) HMS Roberts
5) HMS Nile, HM Naval Base, Alexandria, Egypt, as depot for HMS Canopus (RN Training base, Alexandria)
6) HMS Nile as depot for HMS Sphinx (accommodation camp, Alexandria)
7) HMS Nile as depot for HMS Campion (Flower class corvette)
8) HMS St Angelo, Fort St Angelo, Grand Harbour, Valetta, Malta, as depot for HMS Campion
9) HMS Drake again (see above)
10) HMS Hopetoun, Combined Operations Training Centre, Port Edgar, near Edinburgh.

Interesting mix of sea-time and shore training.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Those service certificates never changed format until it was computerised in 1999 (just had a quick look at mine :) ). Reading your Grandads SC, he joined up in 1941 for the duration of the war, what was known as an HO rating (hostilities only). He made it to Acting Leading Stoker which is the third rung of ratings promotion scale. A Leading Hand in the RN is the equivalent of a Corporal in the other (junior) services.

Orange77

Midshipman
Nice set of Docs VG Supperior , so good at his job.
Your records show that he was promoted to Acting Leading Dtoker on 1st June 1943
He kept this rate until his discharge 2nd Sept 1945 when he may have been discharged.
He should have been paid for this promotion but would have been unable to loose the acting part of the rank until he completed his leading rates qualifying course. Due to the war being on this may have never happened.
He was certainly a Grandad to be proud of
Thank you Slim! Yes we are all proud of him, just wish could have heard about it from him. So he did get promoted! Thought so!

Orange77

Midshipman
Reading the record of service, his ships were:

1) HMS Drake, ex HMS Marshal Ney, stokers' training ship
2) HMS Cabot, stone frigate in Wetherby, Yorkshire
3) HMS Spartiate, the St Enoch Hotel in Glasgow as depot for HMS Roberts
4) HMS Roberts
5) HMS Nile, HM Naval Base, Alexandria, Egypt, as depot for HMS Canopus (RN Training base, Alexandria)
6) HMS Nile as depot for HMS Sphinx (accommodation camp, Alexandria)
7) HMS Nile as depot for HMS Campion (Flower class corvette)
8) HMS St Angelo, Fort St Angelo, Grand Harbour, Valetta, Malta, as depot for HMS Campion
9) HMS Drake again (see above)
10) HMS Hopetoun, Combined Operations Training Centre, Port Edgar, near Edinburgh.

Interesting mix of sea-time and shore training.
huwships - I would not have been able to work most of that out! THANK YOU! Lots of very happy family members. I know he was in Croatia as some MoD scheme sent him there a few years ago and they treated him like a king. He even got a book from the mayor thanking him. Will see what he was on!. thanks again!!

Orange77

Midshipman
Those service certificates never changed format until it was computerised in 1999 (just had a quick look at mine :) ). Reading your Grandads SC, he joined up in 1941 for the duration of the war, what was known as an HO rating (hostilities only). He made it to Acting Leading Stoker which is the third rung of ratings promotion scale. A Leading Hand in the RN is the equivalent of a Corporal in the other (junior) services.
Wow WreckerL - at his eulogy someone read out that he had been promoted (Grandma later confirmed it). Will Google HO - not heard of that!