Advice needed on order of medals earned by my Granddad in WW2

Orange77

Midshipman
Hi everyone,

My Grandad Fred Farrant passed away last year at 97. Despite my fascination with WW2 he never spoke about it having swapped shifts with his friend when the top deck of his boat was destroyed.

My Grandma also still alive last year wrote to the MoD to get a service record and through a sheet he had (almost a log of his service on waterproof paper) I have a rough idea of places he went.

When he passed I was given his medals to look after and I would like to know what order they go in if anyone at all could help. It would also be good to get an idea from an expert on how he would have got them. Whilst I have Google... I suspect mariners would have a more relatable story.

I will try and upload them now (if I can fathom how to do it).

T H A N K - Y O U

janner

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hi Orange77 welcome to the site. This link will give you loads of information about medals. I looks as though they are the fairly standard issue to those that served in the various theatres of war during WW2.

Orange77

Midshipman
Hi Orange77 welcome to the site. This link will give you loads of information about medals. I looks as though they are the fairly standard issue to those that served in the various theatres of war during WW2.
Thank you janner - seems that most of them are there so I just need to fathom the order and what has to happen with his clasp.

Great start for me and very appreciated!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
Hi @Orange77

You have all the information you need on the list of medals, which shows the order of precedence. The war medal (the round one) goes with the red/white/blue medal ribbon, the 1939 -1945 Star goes with the ribbon that the round one (War medal) is on, the star medals are Campaign Medals, he was obviously based in the Med for a while as he has the Africa Star and the Italy Star.

I'm just guessing but the photograph is of a monitor, which I'm also guessing as HMS Roberts

She took part in Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa in Tunisia (hence the Africa Star) and the invasion of Italy at Salerno (hence the Italy Star). His awards list says he had 5 campaign medals but you only show 4, would the 5th be the Atlantic Star?

This site explains the medals and criteria for receiving an award:

Last edited:

Dusty70

War Hero
If you send them here mate

They will put them in order, put on new ribbons (if you want) and mount them on a bar for wearing on remembrance day etc on the right hand side of your chest as you are entitled too as they were left to you

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
She took part in Operation Torch, the invasion of North Africa in Tunisia (hence the Africa Star) and the invasion of Italy at Salerno (hence the Italy Star). His awards list says he had 5 campaign medals but you only show 4, would the 5th be the Atlantic Star?
Quote @WreckerL.

The 5th is the North Africa Clasp, as in 'Number of Medals/Clasps enclosed. Threw me at first!
(Edited as cocked up Quote!!!)

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
That would make sense, my maternal grandfather also has the Africa Star but no clasp. As he was MN I don't have a service record so I don't know what he was doing to get the award.

soleil

War Hero
That would make sense, my maternal grandfather also has the Africa Star but no clasp. As he was MN I don't have a service record so I don't know what he was doing to get the award.
Is there anything useful here, WreckerL?

Orange77

Midshipman
Hi @Orange77

You have all the information you need on the list of medals, which shows the order of precedence. The war medal (the round one) goes with the red/white/blue medal, the 1939 -1945 Star goes with the ribbon that the round one War medal). the star medals are Campaign Medals, he was obviusly based in the Med for a while as he has the Africa Star and the Italy Star.

I'm just guessing but the photograph is of a monitor, which I'm also guessing as HMS Roberts

This site explains the medals and criteria for receiving an award:

WreckerL -thank you! This is incredible. He was indeed on the Roberts. That image is from 1941. I just bought it from eBay to get an idea about the ship. He was also in Croatia at some point. The 4 vs 5 threw me for ages until I realised the clasp was maybe the 5th. THANK YOU!!

Orange77

Midshipman
If you send them here mate

They will put them in order, put on new ribbons (if you want) and mount them on a bar for wearing on remembrance day etc on the right hand side of your chest as you are entitled too as they were left to you
Thanks Dutsy70 - I was thinking of having them framed, never thought about the other option and had no idea anyone other than the recipient could wear them. One for me to think over a Rum (his favourite tipple)!

Orange77

Midshipman
Quote @WreckerL.

The 5th is the North Africa Clasp, as in 'Number of Medals/Clasps enclosed. Threw me at first!
(Edited as cocked up Quote!!!)
Great insight Salty-Dog, thank you. I have read a little about operations he may have been involved in. Will try and add that waterproof record thing when I get back. Not sure what it's proper name is!

Salty-Dog

Lantern Swinger
Great insight Salty-Dog, thank you. I have read a little about operations he may have been involved in. Will try and add that waterproof record thing when I get back. Not sure what it's proper name is!
Sorry, credit goes to @WreckerL I just quoted him, although made a bit ofa mess doing so!!

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
The National Archives call them 'Seamen's Pouches', Orange77.

I think @Orange77 's grandfather was RN as he was on HMS ROberts. He may be referring to the RN linen service record as opposed to the MN records.

I've still got my linen SC ,up until it all went computerised, I don't know about it's waterproof abilities and I'm reluctant to find out the hard way!!

huwshpis

War Hero
I'll just add my 5p worth. You read a row of medals (or rows of medal ribbons) in much the same way you read a book, that is, left to right (and for ribbons only on a uniform jacket, start from the top). VC and/or GC come first. Next, for ribbons only, the senior orders of Chivalry - Garter, Thistle, Bath, St Michael & St George. Next, the DSO, the Victorian Order, the Order of Merit, the Imperial Service Order, the Order of the British Empire and the Order of Companion of Honour. Bear in mind that, out of that lot, the only ones worn as medals are the VC, GC, DSO, LVO, MVO, ISO, OBE and MBE. CBs, CMGs, CVOs, OMs and CHs are all worn around the neck, and I don't believe a CH is worn as a ribbon, being primarily a civilian decoration.

There's a trick or two here. If you see an Order the British Empire ribbon first, followed by a DSO, the holder is either a GBE, KBE or CBE as well as a DSO. If a DSO comes first, the holder is a DSO and an OBE or MBE.

For more information, look at the Wikipedia article "Military awards and decorations of the United Kingdom".