advice needed (mom of future AET)..!!

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by kizzy212, Sep 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello

Thanks for taking time to read.

Son has just recieved his joining date for HMS Raleigh for 25th May 2014 (AET). this date is much earlier than expected as he was advised sept 2014 so he could complete first year of college. As he only just turned 16 may.
    The letter has brought the biggest smile to his & our faces, he could be more happier. However i sat back and realised the 10 weeks of raleigh starting 25th may takes us up to 2nd August 2014. Myself, partner & young son fly to Mexico a week later on the 9th Aug for a friends wedding. (Very close yes) Son was planning on staying at home so no bother to him.
    There is no way im gonna miss any 1. Passing out parade 2. Seeing my son for 1st time in 10 weeks and 3. being there for him when he returns.

So before i cancel and lose money on this holiday, can anyone advice me on the proceedure after raleigh, am i correct in thinking that there is a chance he has weekend of and then straight to phase 2 training. Or has friend said he may have aug off before returning due to it being main navy holidays. Do these dates change once you accept joining date. how far in advance do you know dates/timetable of events etc

Any help greatly welcome.

kirsty (mother)

2. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Nina Stroker , Polto or Wrecks are in the best position to answer your query Kirsty no doubt one of them will around shortly.

Please accept my commiserations for having a future WAFU as a Son>

• Like Like x 2
  3. The good news is that when he passes out on the 2nd August 2014 he will be going on summer leave as Raleigh breaks up on that day.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Speak to his AFCO for clarification as there are a couple of possibilities.

Raleigh breaks for leave 1st Aug-1st Sept 2014. If he passes out on the 10th Friday after joining (assuming there are no unforeseen setbacks) he may go on Summer Leave the day he completes initial training (most likely), but may well go to HMS Sultan to commence branch training, then take Summer leave a week or so later, depending on leave dates at HMS Sultan.

I note "mom" seems to be part of the English language nowadays, drives me bloody nuts, but each to their own, y'all.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Thank you so much for all this information.
    X

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)

6. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

This is a trait friends in the midlands appear to have.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Well, at least annoying phrases and accents are being centralised nowadays. :icon_smile:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Well it certainly is not commiserations, Wafoo AETs are the most intelligent of all of the RN branches, though I have heard that Sparkers are just as clever:blob4:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Slim, do not confuse intelligence with ability!!

10. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Sparkers were indeed the cream of the crop, with Submariner Sparkers being in a league of their own! :thumleft:

11. Cream of the crop, you mean the stuff that goes off (I mean scum but that's a bit strong a word!) that always floats to the surface ;)

12. Reminds me of the old joke - why are the Tories described as the cream of the country? Because they are rich, thick and full of clots.

Boom tish.

Coming into this one a little late - how does the Man of the Match become a future AET?

13. Royal Navy by the grave of God, AET/AEM by ability.

14. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

He's dead?! Why weren't we told..?! :shock:

15. Maybe she's American?

16. Nope. Dates are in right order.

17. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

No idea where the OP comes from but it is more likely a regional colloquialism than a US English influence:

Source: Living in England: Mum and Mom

18. Indeed. Very good oppo of mine says it (well, writes it) and I was going to stop talking to him as I thought he might be an undercover American, but I have now discovered that it is down to his midland background, which isn't quite as bad, so he still gets Christmas cards.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ninja_Stoker

It's still no excuse.

It's a bit like those who claim Trick or Treat and Mischief Night originated in UK.

20. I'm a West Midlander, I suppose; I was born at RAF Cosford, which is just a few miles from Wolverhampton, then lived on the north side of the city then just south of it, until I went to Uni. I went to school in Tettenhall, which is in town.

I always called my Mother "Mom" and I'm pretty sure that most of the other children in the village called their Mums "Mom", too.

I realised that this might be regional use when I went to Uni and noticed that most of the other students said "Mum", so I ended up using both words. When I was talking about her to friends/colleagues I would say "my Mum", but when I was talking to her in person, I called her "Mom" - she would have found "Mum" a bit weird.

Edited to add - I don't think that everyone in Wolverhampton uses the word "Mom" - I'm sure that some girls at school said "Mum".

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013