Advice needed for 'Yomping' training

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by iLikeBigBoobs, Apr 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently at university, and looking to have a serious go at joining the RMs in three years time.

Before I do that, I was hoping to get some experience of the kind of tasks undertaken during training by doing the para's 10 mile tab (35lb/15.5kg) this September.

I do, however, constantly hear of injuries caused by excessive/inadequate weighted training.

Could I ask that you advise me on the things you had wished you had known before you started training yourself - the ways to minimise the risk of injuries whilst obtaining an endurance sufficient for said run.

A bit about myself: I have recently had a go at a half marathon, did that in 1h 28min; I box competitively, thus do boxing specific training 4 times a week; I try to run 5 times a week, 2.25miles each morning; I do a single weights session a week, focusing on compound lifts. I did have a go at running with 10kg on (vest) the other day, and quite frankly it was a disaster, after the usual 2.25 miles I could barely walk the following afternoon.

2. Blackrat

Blackrat War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

You have to build up to these things. Running a half marathon is one thing, but tabbing with kit is something else. If you are looking to join the Royal Marines you will not only have to work on your fitness, not just running and cardio vascular, but you will have to get used to carrying kit. Start small and work upwards. Don't try to throw yourself in at the deep end as you'll only injure yourself. Common injuries carrying kit are knee problems, back, shoulder and sometimes neck problems. Of course, when training, you will also suffer from what is know as "Bergen Blister".

My advice? Keep running, do circuits, swim, work on your upper body and get used to tabbing (or yomping if you prefer) with weight, but start small. Also work on your state of mind. This is one of the most important things you can do.

3. Plenty of core stability work as well.

4. OMM

OMM War Hero

1 hour 28 Half is really good!

5. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

Thats good Ilikebigboobs, official recognition at this early stage.

• Like Like x 2
  6. OMM

OMM War Hero

You should also work the weight side and leg strength as you will be required to carry/ drag people uphill.

Go on the official RN site and register for the PRMC forum as it is specific to the RM and full of applicants in the process who will answer your questions.

7. Given the amount of Mods on here now, I will be restrained. YFYL.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Please, carry on - you're doing a grand job. I think OMM likes you... :wink:

9. Take it elsewhere, unless you've got some useful advice to offer.
    Bickering posts deleted.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Does your Uni have any socities or anything that may be beneficial to your training? Depending on the size of the establishment you can usually find a group of like minded individuals, or at least a training buddy or 2. Perhaps contact the VP Sports and enquire? There might also be local clubs you can join, pehaps a 'tabbed yomp' fellowship might be unlikely, but a running club or something is likely to have someone who has similar goals to you or has some experience. I cannot offer my experiences as I haven't really forayed into the world of weighted running, but good luck!

11. Go out on some hill walking trips, carrying (decent fitting rucksack, heavy kit to the bottom) the kit and equipment you are going to need, learn to navigate and enjoy yourself out and about, (remember to leave info on where your going and when you'll be back with someone, just in case :grin:) don't worry about running with kit (speed marching) or "Yomping" if you get in you'll do enough to last you a life time, and the TT at CTC will build you up to it correctly.

Enjoy. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. I get the impression that the OP thinks it's all about fitness......some of the strongest, fittest blokes fall by the wayside because they wrap when they are fatigued, cold, wet and uncomfortable, or have to motivate themselves and others when it's hard. Take a look at the Corps Ethos, fitness is a fundamental requirement of a soldier, you need to exercise what's between your ears and in your chest and when you are physically fit and mentally strong you can make it. 3 years is far too long to get prepared so don't waste the time messing about doing 'Para' tests, get down to to your local RMR Unit and see if being a 'Bootneck' is really for you.

• Like Like x 1