Advice much appreciated please.

Discussion in 'Submariners' started by Jess33, Jun 19, 2016.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My son qualified as an ME(SM) on the astute class boats. He has been awaiting a draft for a while. He has the option of v boats and asking his parent (as you sometimes do at 18!!!!!!) what to do - i haven't a clue! Haven't posted for a while -please be gentle am only after a bit of advice !!!!!!!!!! He is asking colleagues as well but also asking us! Does he wait it out for an a boat or switch over ??
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

To start the ball rolling, whilst proclaiming I'm not a submariner, but work with a few...

My perception is you are better able to plan ahead on bombers as your operational programme is more rigidly time-tabled. The job, for ET(MESM) would, I imagine, be quite similar. Downside? The V boats are undergoing a major refit programme which may increase patrol rotation.

Again, I could be wide of the mark, but hopefully it'll spark some better qualified contributions...
    • Bullshit Bullshit x 1
  3. Ok, I'll join in.
    I'll start by saying that I am a submariner, but not an ME and not based in Faslane.

Were he to join a V boat then he would need to re-qualify BSQ because he is moving to a different class of submarine. However, he will then be able to work towards achieving the professional standards required to become eligible for promotion. He will also be in a role where he can begin to demonstrate his suitability for promotion. He will not be able to achieve either of these things whilst sitting inboard awaiting a draft.

A draft to a V boat does indeed bring more stability, relatively speaking, than a draft to an A boat. You won't find a V boat submariner than hasn't returned from patrol later than expected, but the fluidity of SSN tasking means that they are much more prone to short notice changes to their programme.

Equally, he is much more likely to see something of the world on an A boat than a V. As I type there are a lot of bomber queens enjoying some sunshine in the good old US of A as part of the post-refit programme, but the next time that happens won't be for a while. We undoubtedly see less places in the submarine world than our General Service brethren, but those of us that do see some of it are serving in SSNs.

In terms of his core job, there's no real difference. The nuclear plants are different, but at his level the kind of work he'll be doing at sea is broadly the same.

Many people spend their whole careers in SSBNs and enjoy their time. Others, myself included, would rather nail bits of themselves to a fence than do a bomber patrol. Horses for courses.
    Of course, as an ME your son can ask to go back to an A boat if he finds the bomber world is not for him.

I hope that helps.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Thanks ninja and pompeyexpat I have copied all your information to him for him to have a read at and hopefully help him come to a decision.
  5. I'd love to hear @Moonshine's opinion on this matter.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Me too :)
  7. I thought you might :)
  8. They'll probably claim they hit the BS button by mistake and it came off in me `and Chief.
  9. hi I'm nearing the end of phase 2 and am after some info on the general routine at proper fed up of the Collingwood routine as I have been here for nearly 12 months now. I know the training is gonna get more intense but I'm just wanting to know about accommodation, will I be sharing, am I stillaphase 2 and are there rounds and clean ship evolutions? cheers in advance
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Raleigh, as you are aware, is a new entry training establishment, so accommodation is likely to be austere (if the senior rates is anything to go by) and the routines & dress standards likely to be as one would reasonably expect of a new entry training establishment. Collingrad, in my experience has pretty good accommodation and routines typical of a phase two training establishment - even as ship's company.
  11. sorry I forgot to add that I'm going onto submariner training, didn't know if id be sharing mess`s and doing rounds
  12. You'll still be a Phase 2 but in 6 man messes in the new blocks.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Last year when my son completed submariner training he was in Sultan for 33 weeks and in a 4 man room 16 men on top floor and 16 on bottom floor with common rooms and laundry and kitchen facilities as a mum I was well impressed!!!!!!!!!
  14. Phase 2 accommodation is the same at Raleigh only 6 man messes.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Sorry wrecker my boy was upgraded as they were renovating some of the blocks. It was nice though, not quite so basic as Raleigh. But rounds still took place to ensure cleanliness and tidiness. All in all he loved it!
  16. The new blocks aren't the same as the 40 man messes Phase 1 are in. The new blocks have common rooms, shared kitchen and laundry facilities etc.
    • Like Like x 1