Advice from someone in the roles listed within?

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by jakem7892, Sep 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I completed my psychometric test at the AFCO earlier today and scored enough, and have the right qualifications to do pretty much any role in any of the branches.
    I'm torn between an aircrewman and a communications tech. I realise that the waiting list is long for these but these are the ones I've though about but feel like I could do with a little personal knowledge from someone with experience.
    If anyone is in these roles or has knowledge of what they are like, I'd appreciate any input.
  2. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Do you like morse code or dangling out the side of a helicopter?

Posted from the Navy Net mobile app (Android / iOS)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. You've just made this a lot easier lol.
    Thanks for simplifying
  4. exJenny

exJenny War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I'll be honest. Morse code and army mentality drove me crackers and I branch transferred out.

5. Hmm, I was edging towards CT, because I've seen from some of the posts on here, and from what my career adviser said that CT needs one of the highest scores on the psychometric, which made me think that if you need a high score, it would be a good job. After that though, maybe I'll look more in to aircrewman

6. Be fair, it's not just Morse code - it's Cryllic* morse code too!

*Other obscure languages are available.
  7. "I'm torn between an aircrewman and a communications tech."
    Does either of them know?
    Many congratulations on your high score, by the way, it must make mum and dad really proud.
  8. not sure if sarcastic.
    Was just giving some background s'all. Cool head
  9. In my day you could not join up as Rating Aircrew? It was always sideways entry ( like Reggie but without failing your killicks course) Have things changed?

• Like Like x 1
  10. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

As a CT you will get a lot more seatime, will watch keep for most of your career, but will get promoted very quickly. Oh and you will turn into either a pisshead or a secretive weirdo.

11. Yes. There is now a direct entry winch weight!!! (I believe).

For the OP, as the butter advert says - Your career choice!!!!!
  12. I guess so. My career adviser hasn't told me otherwise.
    I've been told they have an extended medical check and another psychometric test but other than that, I dont think theres anything else that causes it to stand out in terms of application
  13. The medical for aircrew can be a killer to a career my friend. You can think you are the fittest, soundest individual on the planet to find your nose is bent, you have a heart problem and your only firing on 3 cylinders!!! I witnessed grown men cry during my courses two days at Haslar!

My only criticism of rating aircrew branch is the lack of transferable jobs after serving. That said, fifteen years as aircrew and I wouldn't have changed it for anything. There are flying jobs after but with so many going for so few your chances are limited.

How much apart from 'aircrew' do you know about the role, the job, what is required in the air and on the ground?
  14. Crying because they failed the medical? What do they look for that isn't covered in the original medical?
    In terms of what I know... not all that much admittedly. The website only gives you so much, and the AFCO basically gave me the info thats already on the site.

Thats why I posted this, to get more info on both roles. Not just the "its the best thing you'll ever do and will shit gold if you join" answer you get from career advisers. I want the pros and cons ideally from people who are/have been in the role and will give me a honest opinion of it.
  15. I know it would vary from person to person, but is there a rough time frame in which someone in this role would expect to be promoted. Thats one of the reasons that I like the sound of this job, I've heard that they tend to get promotions quicker.

Also, are you yourself in this role/ have been? if so, can you give me an honest opinion of it? Maybe an average day?
  16. And if you fail the course you become both.

I know.

*hic* Go away.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. If you failed then your gift was becoming a writer instead, surely :D
  18. Crying because they set there minds on a career and a body that was doing OK they thought wasn't as functional as they thought - not enough to go aircrew.

Won't say what the medical consists of, for one reason it was some 40 odd years ago and things do tend to change, although I do know from serving crewman its not a walk in the park. Don't know if there are any serving crewies on here anymore, SARKING may know more.
  19. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

If CT is the modern equivalent of a proper sparker I took the former route Tids. :blob6:
  20. In 'my day' CT was sideways entry (I'll explain graphically when you arrive in Torpoint) so not the case I'm afraid.

No gift for a man Rachel, but sure you'll be fine. :glasses3: