Advice from Fitness Fanatics please

Discussion in 'Sports and Adventure Training' started by KLNA-Cessna-Jockey, Dec 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs KLNA wants to get fit and has asked me to get her some equipment.

We are probably going to get a rowing machine for all round improvement and I would like some advice as to whether I should get an "Air" or "Magnetic" braked rower.

I believe that magnetic ones may be quieter than air ones but having only ever used air machines in the gym I would welcome any views on the magnetic vs air benefits and disadvantages please. And if you know of any good suppliers would also appreciate recommendations please. (Here's what I've been looking at http://www.uksportimports.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=93 )

Thanks all and happy new year ! :thumright:

2. Just go road running, I did 45 minutes today in lovely weather here in London and its FREE!!

3. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Get her a set of darts mate, sport of olympians.

4. I just did 40 mins around the local golf course with some press ups, situps and burpees thrown in. Big mistake, it cost me fifty quid - twenty five for the call out to let me back in and twenty five for a new key to be cut ... on Monday ^_^;

5. I dont mind road running, although very boring when doing it alone, but Mrs KLNA wants something she can use indoors in all weathers - then she can's complain it's too wet, too cold, too hot etc.

6. I will tell you whats good Roller blading very aerobic and not hard on the knees very scenic on Southsea seafront in summer

7. No such thing as weather, T-shirt and shorts in Summer,dress accordingly in the other seasons. Get outdoors, use the local parks, hills, countryside, door to door, on foot, no taking the 4 wheeled monster.Don't underestimate the benefits of walking,walk normal pace, then power walk for 12-20 seconds then back to normal for 1 to 2 minutes.Find a nice secluded spot and do some free standing exercises,in the order, breathing ex,legs,arms,chest,trunk and abs., breathing again. I am 63 and doing this routine for the last 8 months I have excellent blood press (I was on medication fot HBP) and although I still have to watch my diet I have virtually eliminated my type 2 diabetes. Go out with a like minded partner, every other day, for 40 mins/1 hour. I bet Mr/Mrs KLNA would look a great couple. Cost....nowt. Off days I take my mountain bike for a 40min/hour ride. Good luck and a happy and heathy New year.

8. Fair play to you hnhn, and thanks for the advice.

We do go for regular walks together but we both work (I work shifts too) and have kids, hence the need for the INDOOR requirement from the boss (aka Mrs KLNA).

9. Concept 2 Model C or above - for a really decent rowing machine. (the website gives out training regimes etc too) They can be picked up on eBay for about £300 second hand, £600 in great condition £1000 new...but all depends on what you want to spend/what level etc. the Concept 2's are the best ones in the business, used by Olympians and many a rowing club/gym….. Air operated, you can get a heart rate monitor linked in etc and have a pace boat for incentive! Another limitation on what to pick is space though. They're not exactly small!

10. No I don't work for Concept 2... just realised that that last post looks a bit like an advert! woops

11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

KLNA: Just hide her car keys and make her carry bigger shopping bags - she'll have arms like Arnie in no time... :oops: :wink:

12. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Agree with New-Start. A few years back I porked up enormously and needed to get weight down and cardiac fitness/stamina up before I could even think about running.

Concept2 rowing machines are the way ahead. Long slow 5k-15k sessions mixed with shorter sprint/recovery sessions.

13. Cheers for the advice guys - especially those invaluable words of wisdom from SPB. I want to get fit, not die !

14. One point I always make when asked similar questions is that you need to be aware that "getting fit", (or more than likely wanting to lose a bit of weight) and "keeping / staying fit" is really down to changes in LIFESTYLE. Furthermore, once you revert to your old ways because you've finally realised that the initial changes you made are extremely hard to maintain, you eventually end up back at square one.
    Basically, my point is....
    consider more realistic options before you invest a lot of money into "quick fix" machines.

15. I totally agree with you wonderer but its easy for me to say that has i have always gone to the gym so its really just a habit where by giving up smoking( i Smoke)is porobably viewed as why do you smoke by a non smoker,life style is the major changer of attitude towards fitness,i have no choice i live in looe Cornwall so i have keep fit to get my fags

16. we are born to die
    ( I just made that up)

17. Concept 2 - quick fix?!!?!
    Hardly. It's an investment, I bought one a year ago for £300 sold it recently for £400... not bad eh?

18. janner

janner War Hero Book Reviewer

19. Best forms of exercise i like personally are Long distance running and cylcling although if you dont get the balance right youll be good at one and shit at the other. I would say Running is my stronger activity , my running helps my cycling in terms of heart rate e.g. last week i did 4 hours on a Tacx stationary trainer and my heart rate was 149 but average speed was 16.5mph which i was happy about.

(Guys if your into endurance activites e.g. cycling, running or do ITF Taekwondo give us a shout as i can get advice from others aswell as get it)

cheers

DAN