Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

advice for e 1st lt

what do do do if a member of stsff doesnt accespt or respect the fact you are 1st lt and goess his own way. what would you do?

me im a ex squaddie and believe a swift dig round the back of the drill sheds works,

help me pease before i lose my rag and my scc rank.

spotty

You have to ask why he doesn't respect you.

A quiet non-confrontational word may help, but to be honest the situation shouldn't have been allowed to develop. Since it obviously has, said member of staff (interesting choice of phrase) should be reminded the command structure exists for a reason and if s/he cannot accept this then perhaps the organisation isn't the future for him/her.

ok more info the member of staff in question is an ex sea cadet abd did 8 months in the navy again i say 8 months in the navy i did 12 years service in the army. he basically thinks he know better. i have no problem with ex sea cadets at all but i was given this position because i can do this and i have contacts through work. he constatnatly under minds me and in front of cadets. i am at my wits ends the latest thing is he refuses to wear 3b's as dress as the mcd staff only wear 95's, the only problem is his no4 kit is dirty and his boots are green.

spotty

Have a quiet word with him and tell him to buck up his ideas. If that doesnt work, troop him and make an example of him. You will lose the respect of the rest of your unit if you aren't seen to come down hard on this type of behaviour.

Time for some horoscope reading, and if he doesn't get the message fast, of caps in front of the unit CO.

Unless he is to get your job you need to show you are in charge and make sure both he and you CO know that.

Peter

spottydog said:
what do do do if a member of stsff doesnt accespt or respect the fact you are 1st lt and goess his own way. what would you do?

me im a ex squaddie and believe a swift dig round the back of the drill sheds works,

help me pease before i lose my rag and my scc rank.

spotty

Having being pulled up for not giving my 1st Lt enough respect in the past, I have to say it can be a two way thing, the person in question seemed to have forgotten that we are not in the Navy and do not need to be spoken to like 1st day raleigh recruit. Also having to remind some that they do not on any occaion pull any Adult up infront of the cadets, we are trying our bests but we are not experts on the Miliarty or it's ways and customes

Some SCC memebers of staff have to be reminded of this on more than one occation. Also some have to be reminded that lots of us have a life outside of cadets and if we don't make it each week or don't go on every weekend it's not because we are slacking it's because we actually have things called jobs, lifes, families.

If you want to go on a power trip may I suggest the TA or somthing simliar as if you keep trooping, pulling up memebers of staff as you call us, you'll find it won't be their repect you lose but there help altogether.

Wompingwillow - sorry, I disagree. The SCC is not the RN, granted. However, the XO cannot be embarassed in front of his unit, or he will lose all respect. A quiet word is the way forward, but it sounds like this guy has serious attitude problems (incorrect rig etc). Interview negative coffee beckons...

dixie_gooner said:
Have a quiet word with him and tell him to buck up his ideas. If that doesnt work, troop him and make an example of him. You will lose the respect of the rest of your unit if you aren't seen to come down hard on this type of behaviour.

100% agree, this is the way to go. It would appear that for whatever reason, you don't have this individual's respect....you can't compound that situation by losing the respect of anyone else.

Doesnt matter where you go or what you do there is always a chain of command or pecking order. If you are the 1st Lt and this other chap is of a lower rank (actually the only one higher than you would be the CO) then its your responsiblity to show him the way forward.

Failing any reasonable suggestions - use the heavy end of a marlin spike on his head and drop the cnut :roll:

creakin

spottydog said:
ok more info the member of staff in question is an ex sea cadet abd did 8 months in the navy again i say 8 months in the navy i did 12 years service in the army. he basically thinks he know better. i have no problem with ex sea cadets at all but i was given this position because i can do this and i have contacts through work. he constatnatly under minds me and in front of cadets. i am at my wits ends the latest thing is he refuses to wear 3b's as dress as the mcd staff only wear 95's, the only problem is his no4 kit is dirty and his boots are green.

spotty

So is this bloke a marine insturctor?

Personally I wouldn't even go down the quiet word route.
I'd have a loud bl00dy word and put him in his place once and for-all.
If his kit isn't up to scratch, make him wear it and make him clean it, if his attitude sucks, tell him to sort it, if he doesn't comply, get rid of him, he is a bad influence on the kids and is undermining you.

As a 1st Lt myself, i would catalogue/document indiscretions for a period of 2-3 months, put a case together and present it to your CO.

Then from thier it can be his problem, continue to gather examples of indiscretions and formal complaints and support your CO in whatever action he deems appropriate.

I would push for / suggest getting the DO invovled and inviting said knobber to fill out his own P7 Application for discharge.

I have just sent a letter to a PPO asking them to sign a pre filled one and return it with ID Card and uniform.

Let us know how it turns out.

R

As the xo you are in effect in charge of morral and discaplin. There fore you could call a meeting of ships company officers and senior rates and point out that you arn't happy with the support you are getting etc. without singlingout the person in question.although a smacking round the back of the boat shed might make you feel better for an hour or two it very rarely resolves any problems.
If you feel you can't go to the co then Area staff maybe able to advise you .

Latest Threads