Advice for a mum joining as an MA

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by p4uletz, Nov 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, I am currently working with elderly and have my nvq3 in health and social care aswell as various other first aid certificates.
    I am currently living in Helston with my Husband and 3 children. Im 24 years old.
    I have a friend who is in the RN in survival equipment and in a conversation about me bettering my career and family life he suggested joining up.
    Now he has told me the extent of the training, physically and mentally. Which i think i can succeed at with a lot of hard work and dedication. I would do this for my family and especially my children.
    I wonder if any of you have similar experience or know of anyone in a similar situation as me and could shine a light on their journey?
    I am going to ring the careers office first thing monday, it may be a case that this is virtually not possible with having a family.
    However i have a fabulous support network from my family and my in laws. And a fabulous husband who will support me in my chosed career path.
    Please any advice is welcome.
    Thanks in advance
  2. You've not really asked a direct question there Kim, but from what you told us here I can't see any problem for you joining up. It is a huge commitment for someone in your position but with the support of your family I don't see why you couldn't make a go of it.

Good luck.
  3. Just general advice I'm after really, in the hope that there's someone out there with similar experiences.. I'm worried having a family would be a hold back or even a reason for not being accepted.
  4. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

There are lots of us who are married with children you know, it's not a boy's club anymore. You sound happy with your home life, there is no reason that this can't continue, I won't lie and say that it's easy, it's all about how you and your family deal with it, but it IS do-able.
  5. It would be illegal to refuse you entry on the grounds you have mentioned. Not being a 'family person' as such I can't be sure, but would imagine the emotional strains on your part could be a bit tough. As I say, good luck. If it's what you want, go for it.
  6. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

With your work experience and qualifications you could also become a steward. Just tuck that thought away for a bit though and concentrate on becoming a MA. Best of luck.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Subject to qualifications held, Naval Nurse maybe worth looking into as well as Medical Assistant.

As has already been stated above, we don't differentiate on grounds of gender, marital status or whether you have children.

In practical terms childcare, as in any job, is the responsibility of the parents, not the service. Parents, regardless of gender, simply need to ensure they have thought through the "what ifs", such as staggered school holidays, sickness, separation - including deployments of up to 6 months away and suchlike. When in UK, the average individual can expect 3 out of four weekends off after completing training and six weeks paid leave a year plus 9 bank holidays. Obviously "Chistmas Leave" may not be actually at Christmas & Summer Leave may not be in Summer, subject to operational commitments.

As long as the above issues are not viewed as insurmountable within your own family support network & the individual them-self is not envisaging taking unplanned "days off" due to an unwell son or daughter, then it's entirely "do-able".

Best of luck.
  8. Thank you all for your advice and support .
    I'm going to speak to the careers adviser and see what options there is for me.. there does seem to be alot of different routes I can take.
    Thank you ninja. The job commitments I have now are very similar in the sense of time off and holidays (other than the 6 month deployments of course).
    I shall keep you all updated but you have reassured me that it's possible with all requirements met. Thanks again
  9. tiddlyoggy

Good luck with whatever choice you make p4.
  10. Thank you. I'm off to find out tomorrow
  11. Call me old fashioned Mum, but I don't think it's a good idea
  12. Why do you think not such a gd idea scouse? Will be gd to hear a different point of view.
  13. I think what scouse is alluding to is the fact you're a young mum and the effect the separation will have on both you and the little 'uns. They'll probably be too young to understand what's going on.
  14. It's a very valid point and the only thing that is playing on mind... but I'm willing to give it a try with nothing to lose yet alot to gain if successful. It would be a different kind of set up the mum being away where traditionally it's the father who would be in the services. But I'm certain my family and my husband will be the best support and ensure the children will grow to understand what mummy is doing and one day then may want to follow in my foot steps.
  15. tiddlyoggy

If you don't mind me asking, is your husband 100% happy with it? Many blokes would not be.
  16. He's 100% behind me. I thought the same thing and if he had any issue I wouldn't go any further with it. But he's said to go for it and that he wishes I'd of thought of joining sooner.
  17. I see no reason why you shouldn't explore this further, P4uletz.

At the end of the day, if this feels right for you and your husband and you are confident that you will have child care sorted (you will be asked about this when you are interviewed), you should give it a go.

As it is, as there are waiting times for all RN jobs at the moment, you will have plenty of time to think things over as you progress along the recruitment process. If everything goes smoothly, it will be at least 2014 before your training starts.

By the way, the first part of the recruitment process is a multiple-choice test. Each job is linked to a specific score and the one for MA is relatively high, so put your heart and soul into your preparation for the test when you do it.

You can have more information sent to you by calling 08456 07 55 55, so I would give that number a call.

At the moment, you are trying to make your decision based on relatively little information. If you take the first few steps, you will be more fully informed and will be able to make the decision which is best for you and your family.
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  18. Thank you Soleil.
    I have been to the careers office today and the guys there were very helpful. Said could be through the recruitment process by Easter (if I pass everything). Then it's a caseof waiting for a position to come available for me to fill after 10weeks basic training. He's going to send out booklet I need for recruitment test once I've filled out application.
    I'm going to go for it and put my heart and soul into it. And as you say it's a long process which gives me plenty of time IF I was to decide it's not for me.
    The only thing that could stop me in my tracks is a tattoo on my wrist. The guy sad it should be fine as its just under the strap line... I'm guna look at removal anyway... fingers crossed.
    Thanks again
  19. I would take that with a pinch of salt, Last November i was told it would take 6 months to get to my diver selection... nearly 1 year on and I'm still waiting for security clearance to go through so i can get a date for said selection (I passed everything first time too). It's not that the CA staff are lying to you it's just that things happen so you need to be flexible.
  20. Picture the scene. Duty on board on night, (shore based). Hubby phones up - problem with kids. No one will continue your duty for you!!! What are you going to do?

I tend to be a 'Scouse' on this one. I could understand if you were a married woman - no kids. But having children, they can be an emotional nightmare. It's alright sitting at home saying family support is there but what if!

Now I can be a bit of a chauvinist as my wife will testify. You join in the modern Royal Navy and expect no favours because you have kids, not from folk like me - you want the job and money - you DO the job. No weepy tears, no battering the eye lashes.

Don't forget the Navy is an armed service and may put you in 'harms way'. A RN medic died in combat not that many months ago. It happens.

Sorry if I sound dour but you wanted another view point.

And I do like women honest - I married one!!!!!:biggrin: