Advice - debts/sc

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by richierich222, Dec 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi everyone!

Yes another person asking a debt question... Need advice that's specific to me please.

So I was stupid when I was younger (now 26) and got myself in a load of debt. Im currently on a debt management plan and have not missed a single payment. I have one ccj against me which I've satisfied. I currently still owe £17200.

Besides the debt I have no convictions and my fitness and run time are very good. I have outstanding references from my employers.

By the time I apply for the navy im hoping to have my debt down to 8000-10000. Does anyone think this will be an issue for the sc?

I also currently do not have a bank acc as my credit rating is that bad, would this be an issue. My brother who is in the army said the army sets you up with a bank acc if you don't have one....

Thanks for the advice!!

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using Navy Net - Rum Ration mobile app

2. When the army set up your brother's bank account, did he have issues with debt as well? CCJ's etc? Presumably, there is a reason why you can't yet have an account...I don't the RN can just work around this as it is the bank that has take the financial risk with you...

3. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry should have explained, it was someone in my brothers section that required a bank acc.

The reason I cant get an acc is because when they do a credit check im refused. I now have a prepaid card for my current wages, my brother thinks this will be ok for my RN wages to go into.

My main concern is clearing the security clearance with £10000 debt. My brother had some debt not as much and he was defaulted like me, so hence my concern.

4. He wasn't defaulted I meant to say!

5. No doubt some one will be along soon, however I believe the requirement nowadays is that you are able to have a bank account. I very much doubt that having a large debt and being unable to open an account will work in your favour...Ninja Stoker will probably be along soon...

6. Thanks for your advice. Shot myself in the foot for sure, however if I have to wait until im debt free then so be it. Im just eager as hell to get in the RN.

7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

You need a bank account in order to be paid a wage. No bank account, no join.

The financial aspect of suitability for service no longer has anything to do with the AFCO for some bizarre reason, it's all decided by National Security Vetting who know nothing about you beyond your credit check scoring & criminal record. As long as you are 100% truthful on your security questionnaire, I've yet to see anyone fail to get SC on financial grounds, in the last ten years.

8. Thanks Ninja_Stoker for the reply! I now know what needs to be done! Cheers

9. Ninja_Stoker one last question. If my doctor prescribes roacutaine for me due to acne how long after my course do I have to wait to be allowed to progress with my application. My brother had to wait 6 months for the army as the drug is toxic. He also required a letter from the doc stating he was discharged and fine. Thanks.for your help!

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Medical questions can only be definitively answered by medical professionals. I'm therefore not able to give a qualified answer but in order to manage realistic expectations, I'd imagine the medical standards applied to Army applicants are broadly the same as RN applicants in this area.