Adverts for the Royal Navy

Hi, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am currently studying for my final public services assignment then hopefully I will leave and join the Navy but anyway. For my assignment I have to analyse and get peoples opinions on adverts a Public Service uses to get people to join them. I chose the navy and the adverts I chose are
(side note if there really are girls like this please let me know)

https://www.themilitarytimes.co.uk/...Join-Army-RAF-Royal-Marines-or-The-Royal-Navy

Here is a comparison of other services adverts
Do you guys think that these adverts are effective in recruiting new people? Do you think that the adverts are representative of what you will be doing in the navy? What do you think the navy could do to improve these adverts? What do you think the navy could do to attract more new recruits?
Thanks for your time and any answers cheers.

Last edited:
I have only heard of 'Louise's story' and that (I think) was here! The other two I have not seen on TV or anywhere else. So I'd say Navy PR must have a very low budget!

There are a number of them S_B, and are regional, watch TV in Cumbria and you get a ‘born in Carlisle, made in the RN’ (although they got a Geordie to do the voice over!)

There are quite a few of them on u tube

The 'Carlisle' one is frequently on the telly video. I wonder why, having gone to the trouble and expense of getting them made, they don't air the others. The only other one that crops up is the 'If you can fix a skateboard, you can run aT45' one.

I get the same/ very similar advert but it says 'born in Manchester...' the machines are learning...or at least getting in the vauge geographic area.

Haven't seen Modou's before, probably my fav.

I have only heard of 'Louise's story' and that (I think) was here! The other two I have not seen on TV or anywhere else. So I'd say Navy PR must have a very low budget!
I think possibly the target audience aren’t big TV watchers in the old fashioned sense, but are big users of social media or on-demand programming, so I suspect they are being more choosy in where the vids are shown.

Sorry shippers, but if you’re not seeing them you’re probably not their target anymore.

Hi, I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place but I am currently studying for my final public services assignment then hopefully I will leave and join the Navy but anyway. For my assignment I have to analyse and get peoples opinions on adverts a Public Service uses to get people to join them. I chose the navy and the adverts I chose are
(side note if there really are girls like this please let me know)

Do you guys think that these adverts are effective in recruiting new people? Do you think that the adverts are representative of what you will be doing in the navy? What do you think the navy could do to improve these adverts? What do you think the navy could do to attract more new recruits?
Thanks for your time and any answers cheers.
Wouldn't your questions be best put to the target audience of the adverts? We tend to be somewhat opinionated in here and we wouldnt actually have a clue whether the adverts work or not.

LT, It might be in your interests to find out which advertising agency holds the account for the RN at the moment. One of your teachers might be able to write to them and ask them whether you can spend the day with the people who work on the RN account - that might give you a good insight into how they work.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
The "Made in the Royal Navy" adverts are seen as our most successful series of adverts. Ever.

Then again we still have a manning shortfall and the people telling me that they are successful are the marketeers. The same people that bang on about how marvellous our "award winning website" really is....after asking us to vote for it in a niche marketing award scheme.

The first rule of advertising is adverise to your client and that clearly works, regardless of ASA rules.

To be fair, most people I interview say they were influenced by these adverts, then again those joining the Royal Marines still say the "99% Need not Apply" influenced tgeir decision....even though we haven't used it for more than ten years.

As rightly observed above, these adverts are targeting young people in their preferred social media bubble. As a recruiter, I think they do the job quite well.

Do I like them? Doesn't really matter, they are not aimed at me.

There are a number of them S_B, and are regional, watch TV in Cumbria and you get a ‘born in Carlisle, made in the RN’ (although they got a Geordie to do the voice over!)

There are quite a few of them on u tube

Yeah I get the born in Carlisle and I live in south London. But as some one one who sees this advert do you think that it is effective in recruiting people to join the service?

The 'Carlisle' one is frequently on the telly video. I wonder why, having gone to the trouble and expense of getting them made, they don't air the others. The only other one that crops up is the 'If you can fix a skateboard, you can run aT45' one.
I honestly do not know, maybe they feel that it is the most effective one as it sticks in your head, do you personally feel that it is effective though?

Y
I get the same/ very similar advert but it says 'born in Manchester...' the machines are learning...or at least getting in the vauge geographic area.

Haven't seen Modou's before, probably my fav.
I think you will start to see those two more as one is empowering women to join the other is targeting other ethnic minorities and as a minority my self I think it is good in showing that the navy is diverse and caters to everyone within reason

I think possibly the target audience aren’t big TV watchers in the old fashioned sense, but are big users of social media or on-demand programming, so I suspect they are being more choosy in where the vids are shown.

Sorry shippers, but if you’re not seeing them you’re probably not their target anymore.
I have seen lots of adverts on Instagram and Facebook and on the side of websites as adverts, I think it is a cheaper and more effective way for the Navy to advertise as the increase repetition makes people think I need a job what about the navy. What is your opinions on the adverts would they make you join?

Wouldn't your questions be best put to the target audience of the adverts? We tend to be somewhat opinionated in here and we wouldnt actually have a clue whether the adverts work or not.
I have asked I'm asking people in who are serving or have served if they think the adverts are true. Are they realistic of what someone who joins up can expect from their Navy experience or do they lie and show false information. And only people who have been in the Navy could help me answer that question. When you saw the adverts what did you think as someone who has served in the navy?

LT, It might be in your interests to find out which advertising agency holds the account for the RN at the moment. One of your teachers might be able to write to them and ask them whether you can spend the day with the people who work on the RN account - that might give you a good insight into how they work.
Yeah I will have a look but as Im finishing college in a few weeks Im not sure there will be enough time. I saw an interesting video on how they made the new army adverts, which have divided a lot of people. Do you think that the navy adverts are sensationalising your time in the navy or are they showing a truthful version of what new recruits can be expecting?

The "Made in the Royal Navy" adverts are seen as our most successful series of adverts. Ever.

Then again we still have a manning shortfall and the people telling me that they are successful are the marketeers. The same people that bang on about how marvellous our "award winning website" really is....after asking us to vote for it in a niche marketing award scheme.

The first rule of advertising is adverise to your client and that clearly works, regardless of ASA rules.

To be fair, most people I interview say they were influenced by these adverts, then again those joining the Royal Marines still say the "99% Need not Apply" influenced tgeir decision....even though we haven't used it for more than ten years.

As rightly observed above, these adverts are targeting young people in their preferred social media bubble. As a recruiter, I think they do the job quite well.

Do I like them? Doesn't really matter, they are not aimed at me.
When you watch them though do you think that they are an accurate representation of what a recruit can expect in the navy or are they making it better then it seems. Also as someone in the navy what do you think these adverts could do better?

I'm asking people in who are serving or have served if they think the adverts are true.
Lord T

I think that you need to look at the adverts in a different way, you can't really appraise them properly by asking whether people think that "adverts are true". Is any advert ever "true"? What does "true" mean?

I would say that the RN adverts are constructed in a very particular way. Remember that time = money when it comes to advertising. Any good agency will ask itself how it can fulfil a client's brief in the most efficient and cost-effective way and so, constructing an advert which gets across the basic message which the client wants to convey in a way which has visual impact, via a medium which targets exactly the right audience and with an advert positioned in cost terms at a point which matches the allocated budget, is extremely important.

These adverts are extremely short and fast-moving; they are not a reflection of anyone's actual day, they are rather a series of vignettes which are intended to convey the gist of what working in the RN is like. They are constructed for the consumption of people who are used to short, punchy advertising, not necessarily on television and so there needs to be a way of stringing together a series of "snapshots" which show RN service from a variety of angles; if you were to remake them by following someone serving, you would probably have to follow him/her around for several days to gather together all the shots you needed. Each of these adverts is an aggregate of a period of service, I would say. If you adopt that perspective, they can be said to be "true".

Yeah I get the born in Carlisle and I live in south London. But as some one one who sees this advert do you think that it is effective in recruiting people to join the service?
The adds are quite slick, and although I am way too old to even consider signing on again, they caught my attention.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Seaweed The Fleet Air Arm 0
C The Quarterdeck 19
Vesper The Quarterdeck 2