adressing superiors

Discussion in 'The Corps' started by cold_n_wet, Feb 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now being just a nod and everything, damn near everybody is superior to me with the exception of maybe my boots.
    Only problem is, i'm having trouble figuring out how to address people, and having thought it through... asking a member of the training team about this, it may be taken as a "dumb" question. and I figured this is an easier way to get an answer and not having to bang out however many press ups for said dumb question.

For Marines, i've gathered it's just Staff
    L/Cpl - Corpral
    Cpl - Corpral
    Sgt - Sergeant
    C/Sgt - Colours Sergeant
    and every officer as Sir.
    but I'm kinda confused with WO1s and WO2s.... what should they be called?

I've only met one WO2 so far, and thankfully didnt have to make a (ock outta myself talking to him, but still. any light that could be shed on this would be appreciated.

2. Ageing_Gracefully

Ageing_Gracefully War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Doris, of course.

3. Call him Sir.

4. Sir would just about cover it. Or Ma'am, if the occasion ever arises.

5. Don't listen the last two, they're trying to get you in the sh1t. Doris is right for a female WO but with a male WO you should address him as ' No Neck '.
    Only call him Sir if he twats you.

6. Marines=Staff

WTF is that about

7. colours mate not staff . your not a percy pongo...you could always call the wo2 "split arse jack" ..its traditional banter between nods and wo2's

8. like it says.... all of the Marines (as opposed to thems with ranks, ossifers, cpls, sgts etc) in the detatchment are apparently just to be adressed as "staff".... hell, what else should i call them? :p "alrighty there you, i'm a lowly nobody at the bottom of the recruiting pile, and i'd like to talk to you".... doesn't go down all that well huh.

9. Cold and wet, you shouldn't be yaking with proper marines anyways, at least not till you've got the hat!! although drivers always used to dish the fags at the end of exercises

If you called a marine at lympsvitz staff he'd probably say steady on mate

I remember bimbling round CTC after being made up to the heady heights of L/Cpl and being both chuffed and embarrased when a nod called me Corporal, strange

Biffa if you read it correctly, cold and wet is talking about addressing a standard bootneck of no rank STAFF

Unless it has all changed recently

I'm sure some drill chimp will tell me otherwise

theGimpMK2

10. I remember years ago being on recruiting (RM's) and on tour of UK. We rolled up at an RAF for overnight accommodation. We were greeted at the guardroom by an RAF Flight Sergeant. One of our 'gash hands' (a lowly marine) said to him; "Excuse me Colours, can you tell me where we're kipping tonight please?"
    Back came the bellowed and angry reply;
    " Colours? Colours? Colours are things that hang from flagpoles!!!!

To which our 'gash hand'replied (sotto voce) ; " That can be arranged."

Shiner

11. When I was a Nod all Trained Marines were called Trained Soldier.

On me Seniors I made the fatal error of stopping two Nods and saying to them; "Try marching in step lads, it helps" just outside the barbers shop.

A split second later the First Drill pinged me and let rip! He was just coming out of the Barbers when he heard my imortal words of wisdom!

"You! Yes you Number 26! COME HERE!!!...................... And just what the Hell was that all about then Cpl?" I got one hours Extra Drill at Light Infantry Pace.............Jolly that was fun! :roll:

After that I was heartless whenever I sussed out Nods not marching in step. Well I was convinced that the Frist Drill had me on some kind of Radar Moniter. And the Yellow card I was given sort off bucked me up a Tad.

Artist

12. yes gimp you are correctamundo..must beast myself for lack of situational awareness!!!
    as a nod who thought they were as hard as nails after passing the PRC only to find on "gruesome twosome" that the PRC was a bimble around a playing field

13. Like Artist as a nod we had to address a trained Marine as Trained Soldier and stand to attention when speaking, some used to treat us like s*it especially at Deal. At ITCRM it wasnt so bad but it was still Trained Soldier.
    This was in the 60s.

Sibs

14. How times have changed! It was much easier in the old days: as a Junior :( everybody (even the females, I think) were 'sir': nurses, Admirals, DOs and their illustrious counterparts, ODs. As for your carefully polished boots, as you looked grimly at the reflection of your unhappy face after an earbashing, you were, I think, allowed to call your reflection 'Junior'. :wink:

For bootnecks of course things will be different.

15. Whatever you call 'em - don't look them in the eye. I hear they can turn you to stone with a single glance!! :shock:

SF

16. A bit like the RSM at Warminster calling any Royals who happen to be on a course 'Royal Naval Students', wind up Percy twat. :lol:

17. I met an old bootie once who used to have a newspaper cutting taped inside his locker.

The headline was COLD-FEET COMMANDOS and it described how 41 Commando had got into trouble in Norway with no arctic equipment and had had to yomp out down the main railway-line. This guy had been hit by the Tromso express train and had spent months in hospital.

You guessed it; everybody including his Troop Sergeant called him Trained Soldier.

It used to crack me up. :lol:

RM

18. I didnt think you bootie types liked being called soldiers as opposed to marines?

19. When I joined The Corps in 1956, I was told to address the old soldiers as trained soldiers. I was disgusted why call them soldiers and not marines.