Adml Sir Alan West appointed Terrorism Minister...

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by willsonline, Jun 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just been announced that Sir Alan West, former CO of HMS Ardent, has been announced as Conter Terrorism Minister for the Govt.

Rather interesting move to appoint a military guy...
  2. Bet the Army ain't too happy....hehe
  3. Ask yourselves this - who has been a vocal critic of civil servants "casting lascivious eyes at the CVF programme"? How best to shut him up? Appeal to sense of duty and give him a responsible post.

Much of Gordons cabinet appears to be about keeping your friends close and enemies closer.......
  4. BBC Link

Interesting. Broon seems to be getting people in from all over the place.
  5. I have heard rumours that Broon may announce the ordering of "a couple of ships"

Whether that be the green light for CVF or another T45 maybe I don't know but dont be surprised if this pops up.
  6. Ho Ho Ho. More likely the order for some tugs and tenders as part of the FPMS PFI.......
  7. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Very interesting. He has been head of the DIS in his time but I would have thought he might have been a bit too much of a free spirit for Whitehall.
  8. Just received the call from Gordon to be Minister of Breast Size Measurement Minister,

Should I accept?
  9. Hell no. Have you seen the munters in the cabinet you'll be asked to test first????
  10. I agree, he has been quite vocal on a number of things...I don't think this is about shutting him up though, he is well respected and would find this job quite within his capabilities, no doubt.
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Good luck to him (my ex-Skipper on Bristol) - hope he retains his unorthodox manner in voicing his (sometimes unpopular) opinions in public, and not turn into a Brown-ite "Yes" man. Ex Deputy Director and Director of Naval Intelligence, so has got a thumb in that particular pie.

"BZ Banjo!"
  12. Thats just disgraceful!!
    How the heck is HE going to get people to come and visit this country!

Oh, hang on,it says terrorism, not tourism....
    sry [​IMG]
  13. Will he have to join the Labour party aswell ??.
    All the other non Labour appointee's have had to become members of the party!!.
  14. It's about time we had people advising the government in ministerial capacity who actually had experience in the area! Also notices ex-head of Met is international security advisor.
  15. Looking at the avatar I wouldn't bother.
  16. Many years ago when I was a baby lawyer we had a lovely locum covering for the boss. For some reason the conversation drifted onto the topic that I was in the RNR. Bless her, the locum said (put on best posh squeaky locum voice)

Locum : ooo my brother in law is a sailor, perhaps you've met him?

RC : oh yes, and what is his name

Locum : Alan West?

RC: mm, not quite sure a PO RNR mixes with 1SL so no!

Locum: that is a shame, he is ever so sweet!
  17. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ministers must be answerable to Parliament (or at least give the appearance of it). I assume Sir Alan will now follow such other distinguished Gunnery Jacks as Fisher, Jellicoe, Chatfield, Lewin and Hill-Norton to the Lords (but this time as a working hand). And when he leaves Govt this will give him a public platform from which to speak up for the Andrew. BZ I think.
  18. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Ah, the Times agrees with me - If I may quote from Times Online
    [ ]:

Sir Alan, a former chief of defence intelligence, will be offered a peerage and will be expected to follow the Labour whip in the House of Lords, as will a handful of other “outsiders†given posts as ministers [you can't be a minister and NOT take the whip].

Whether they join the Labour Party will be a personal decision and it will not be a condition of taking the party whip in the Lords, Mr Brown’s spokesman said.
  19. Cruel! So very cruel finknottle.

20. Do you require an assistant?