Admirals Walk the Plank over Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by NotmeChief, Dec 7, 2008.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So typical of everything this government does, someone else is to blame.

"THE Royal Navy has been accused of carrying out a discreet purge of senior figures involved in the fiasco over the arrest by Iranian Revolutionary Guards of 15 British sailors and Marines.

Those involved in the navy’s humiliation have left their high-profile jobs as part of an attempt, it is claimed, to sweep away any reminder of the debacle, regarded as one of the biggest embarrassments to befall the fleet since Admiral Byng failed to relieve Minorca in 1756. He was executed for his incompetence. "

It's probably just an excuse to save more money.
  2. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

Re: Admiral Walk the Plank over Iran

Absolute total b*llocks. In recent years, no 2SL apart from Burnell Nugent has ever gone onto other jobs. 2SL was seen as a final posting - a 'thanks but you're not quite good enough for the top' post.

This is Mick Smith taking a look at various departures, and making something of it. The idea that the RN can somehow fire a CS press officer is laughable, the system doesnt work like that.
  3. Re: Admiral Walk the Plank over Iran

No, how the system usually works as an officer is - if you (rhymes with duck) up seriously you are swiftly promoted and given a cushty no. somewhere where you are less likly to be hazard to your work colleagues.

Yes, I think thats the disciplinary procedure for officers. :thumright:

4. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Admiral Walk the Plank over Iran

Wrong. Cynical, but wrong...
  5. Re: Admiral Walk the Plank over Iran

Its probably not the official process but I can think of a few examples...

UXBD :meditate:
  6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

And the fact that the CO of CORNWALL has in fact been promoted and now works in CDS' outer office does nothing to dispel that rumour.....
  7. Didn't the Captain of HMS Nottingham after they hit Wolfe Rock nr Australia get a desk job and promotion?
  8. Re: Admiral Walk the Plank over Iran

It's known as being 'promoted out of danger'.
  9. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes he did, but he wasn't onboard when it hit the rock and he and the crew did a f****** good job of getting it off the rock and saving the ship against the odds. I, for one, would say he was worthy of promotion.
  10. I know he wasn't onboard. The XO had command without having the ticket iirc. The Charts were upto date (Good Nav's Yeo onboard)

The YO cocked up when plotting on the charts (how could he miss wolfe rock on the chart I do not know lol) , and the Navi was heard to be flirting with the OOW (recorded on the tape)

The crew below did a damn good text book damage control if anythin they deserved promotion lol
  11. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Really? And you know this, how..? :shock: :?
  12. tiddlyoggy

tiddlyoggy War Hero Book Reviewer

Far from text book. Real think on your feet stuff that BOST can't get close to simulating; eg a chief putting on his own scuba gear and swimming into the FER!
  13. Cos I was in the naafi queue at the right time lol
  14. That's the closest I could describe it
  15. Re: Admiral Walk the Plank over Iran

I believe that UXBDiver meant senior officers, perhaps even very senior officers.

Yes I know that I am being cynical as well, but that's born of experience.

And yes I have seen examples, on the light blue side.