Admiral's headgear.

Good question.

I don't reckon it's all that long ago that the most senior grunters (Flag Rank I suppose) may have worn them.

I joined in '77 and am sure I've seen them 'live' on divisions, but a lot of cider's been drunk since then, and I used to hallucinate a lot on divisions anyhow.

Seadog

War Hero
There is a 1922 (I think) photo of the then Lieutenant Mountbatten in one or other of the biographies wearing a similar lid and frock coat. I think he's on his way to his wedding. Maybe the cocked hat (?) was not only for Admirals.

Looks better than a beret would!

Guzzler said:
Good question.

I don't reckon it's all that long ago that the most senior grunters (Flag Rank I suppose) may have worn them.

I joined in '77 and am sure I've seen them 'live' on divisions, but a lot of cider's been drunk since then, and I used to hallucinate a lot on divisions anyhow.
Too much tippex fumes eh?

Absolutely! (re berets)

According to wiki it's pre Second World War, but I'm still not convinced.

I'm sure I've seen them worn, though I suppose it may have been some Ambassador or similar.

Some of the really oldies must know surely?

Edit - do one bam bam :evil:

"Safeguard" I remember my old man telling me that him and his oppo were pissing themselves laughing when they they saw one their Officers wearing one of these funny hats.

Must have been 1939 / 1940

Guzzler: I'd rather do Pebbles :laughing8:

Ballistic said:
I'd rather do Pebbles :laughing8:
Ah, K*r*n E*****s. Boobs '87/'88.

(It was the hair do).

You probably did.

I did, in that playground up Western Approach (amongst other places).

Anyway, the hat...

Princess Anne is well-known for raiding the fancy dress cupboard for major state ceremonies.

I'm quite convinced, too, that it's been worn since the Second World War, but haven't yet found a dated picture showing it. Maybe worn by senior flag officers at Winston Churchill's state funeral? Falklands victory parade, at a push? Or perhaps even Trafalgar 200, in 2005, might have been the most recent time when senior officers might have willingly looked that retarded.

I've had look at stuff from Churchill's funeral and can't see any.

Just discussed this with another RRer and he pointed out that Rex Hunt wore one in '82, but that goes back to my 'Ambassador' suggestion.

Maybe we've got it wrong?

In answer to your original question...

...maybe it's fallen out of favour but never actually been "abolished"

I dunno... I'm just speculating

Now, Betty Rubble .... mmm...oh,yes!!

letthecatoutofthebag said:
The Frock Coat and Cocked Hat was a uniform for all officers until it was abolished for non-Flag Rank officers shortly after the Second World War. It is still retailned for Admirals (and additionally 2SL and for officers not of Flag Rank who are also members of the Royal Household, i.e. HRH the Duke of York) but worn with a normal peaked hat and not the cocked hat.

The cocked hat HRH the Princess Royal wore for Trooping the Colour was not a Royal Navy cocked hat but an army one for the regiment she is Colonel in Chief for (it's too late and I can't be arrsed to look it up to find out which regiment but she definitely wasn't wearing a naval uniform on that day).

I was at T200 and was fairly close to HMS ENDURANCE with HM the Queen embarked and (therefore) all the Admirals. IIRC all the Admirals (inc HRH the Duke of Edinburgh) wore normal 1As with peaked caps.

Thank you Letcat.

I thought it was more than likely an Army Thing

The cocked hat (worn fore and aft) was derived from the bicorn/bicorne (usually worn athwartships).

Navies around the world were once almost universal in using cocked hats, ceased wearing them at the beginning of World War II; after the war, however, some military, diplomatic and colonial officials resumed wearing the cocked hat at very formal occasions.
Admiral of the Fleet, Lord Mountbatten certainly had one on his casket in 1979 (link):

If you watched the introduction of Mr Speaker Bercow in the House of Lords you will have witnessed our Lord Chancellor formally greet the said Bercow dressed in his stunning ceremonial robes complete with black tricorn lid. His colleagues wore black cocked hats. You can watch the whole ceremony on the Parliamentary website.

dunkers said:
I'm glad to see he didn't have a fcuking beret on his casket, at least.
Dunkers, language please! ;) Junior Jenny D would be shocked if she knew her favourite bit of skin was using an un-Parliamentary brogue.... :lol:

thingy said:
If you watched the introduction of Mr Speaker Bercow in the House of Lords you will have witnessed our Lord Chancellor formally greet the said Bercow dressed in his stunning ceremonial robes complete with black tricorn lid. His colleagues wore black cocked hats. You can watch the whole ceremony on the Parliamentary website.
On the other hand most of us have a life.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L History 33
S Diamond Lil's 5
ask_then_order Diamond Lil's 5