Admirals bluffed by the pongos?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by wurz, Oct 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. :roll:

Merely further speculation to pad out the columns.

Their bottom line was;

'A No 10 spokesman said: “Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed.†'

Breaths are to remain bated.
  2. Borning I thought it was Admirals buffed by pongos that may be of interst :lol:
  3. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

Is this the start of 1982 again, looks like the crabs will be digging out the Vulcan just in case!!!
  4. Makes a change from the Admiralty getting shafted by the Crabs. :roll:
    Where does it say in the SDSR 'rules' that it's to be played by the Queensbury rules?
    Surely the whole point of the exercise is to use all your resources to prove that your case, ie your wish list for manpower, kit and thoughts for the best stategic use of same is the best deal for the British Government.
    If Perce has used it's conections in the press to 'influence' those who'll decide the issue then they've done the best job of putting their case across.
    More of the same bolting the stable door dripping from those who, yet again, could have done better in the PR/media stroking Department.
  5. wet_blobby

wet_blobby War Hero Moderator

Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

How on earth can this farce be called a defence review? Things are getting chopped that only a few years ago were the "bare minimum" needed for the defence of Britains interests.

The sooner these cuts are admitted as cuts because of past fiscal fcuk ups the better. I just hope the bad guys are as financially buggered as the UK is.

Cutting the Navy way past the bone is just short term dumb, the future on the finacial/national income front has got to include future resources, that requires a presence in places like the poles, the falklands etc, not just some stupid willy waving over aircraft carriers or a completely pongo view of the world that involves dust and sand.

Bloody pointless having a wonderful welfare state or everyone getting a media degree if it all goes tits up in the future.
  6. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

:wink: Just got one left if required [​IMG]
  7. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

Hmmm, surely a Carrier or two on their own with few other assets to protect them are just targets?

Short term cuts to the RN, while to the Army and Whitehall types a viable saving of dosh, because our stategy at the moment is so Land War focussed, is a very narrow view of our current and future maritime security needs.
    GB Inc must be seen to be able to provide some assistance to Global security in all areas or it will slip even further down the plughole of potential influence on World events.
  8. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

Cutting ships is a rediculous idea. If you cut a ship it takes 10+ years to replace it, where as the other two services will not impose a decades worth of lacking equipment.
  9. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

How about we cut the admirals to save the fleet?

Anyone got an idea of teh ratio of flags to hulls now and 10/20/30 years ago etc?

And why do we have Commodores at places like RALEIGH, EXCELLENT etc, when they were commanded more than competently by Captains 30 years ago?
  10. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

Short answer to that is we don't - last time I looked, Excellent has a Cdr, Temeraire a Lt Cdr, and Nelson a Captain of the base, all of whom come under one Cdre. ComDevFlot is now CaptDevFlot, Raleigh has certainly been commanded by a Captain in the last 5 years (although, to be fair, I don't know who the current CO is).

Yeovilton has a Cdre equivalent but he's an RM brigadier.

BRNC still has a Cdre, but I assume that's because they're now lead leadership school for the whole RN (and wouldn't be surpirsed if they step back down to Captains soon). Faslane has got a Captain. Don't know about Culdrose. Which leaves Collingwood, which, given the number of lodger units, probably needs its Cdre (who is Cdre MWS and CO Collingwood, rather than just CO Collingwood), and Sultan, which is basically Tri-Service these days.

Which I think is all the shore establishments....
  11. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

merging this with another thread
  12. wet_blobby

Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers's the way forward... :p
  13. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

NBCs Clyde and Devonport are both Commodores. Comdt. RNSME is a Commodore and is effectively the Commodore of Sultan. FASFLOT now has a Commodore, but they are merely lodgers under NBC(C). COMDEVFLOT is a Commodore and a lodger under NBC(D). So in summary, we have more than you think :lol:
  14. Re: Admirals reduce fleet to save Carriers

Army budget and Crab accommodation standards for the RN/RM works for me. :wink:
  15. wet_blobby

Some of them women that join the WRAF getting diverted to Jenny is a winner as well.
  16. A fantastic idea.
    The reduction in uniform material costs alone would surely cover most of the savings needed to be made. :twisted:
  17. Also get them back in skirts!!!! :D
  18. wet_blobby

I was thinking more along the lines of a morale boost for the boys, mind you they can loose the attitude before they come across