Admiral's Barges

Discussion in 'History' started by lsadirty, Sep 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. When I was a kid in Demport, I used to walk around Mount Wise most evenings. There was a pier where a couple of Admiral's barges were kept. One was green and the other was dark blue. I used to know the answer to this, but age (and a lot of drink) have dimmed the memory cells somewhat. Was one for the local C-in-C, and the other for the Admiral Superintendent, or what ? Been bugging me for a couple of days now. And if anyone remembers his barges being taken for a ride in the 50s/60s, I know who it was - revealed by an old salt in our hotel in Cardiff 1972 !!

2. Wasn't 'green' for a/the C-in-C of a fleet and the 'blue' for a common or garden 'Admiral'?

3. TeeCeeCee is quite correct. Vol II of my copy of the Seamanship Manual states:

Note that in the Royal Navy an 'officer of flag rank' is any rear admiral or above whereas the term 'Flag Officer' is associated with one holding a particular Command, e.g. Flag Officer Sea Training (FOST).

4. Crewed on one, for an Admiral many moons ago at Pompey!!!! it was a Gig and stowed underneath the old Damage Control, shack??? Ps never sailed so fast. Made a change from the cutters we used to sail, at St Vincent

5. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I was crew on that in 1987; we operated out of the basement of No.1 The Parade (opposite what is now Victory Building). When not conducting boating duties - in No. 2s with white plimsolls, including boathook drills! - crew (1 x Killick Dabber and 3-4 x baby Dabbers on loan draft from Dryad) would act as Retinue Staff at CINC's residence under the control of the House Manager (1 x Killick Chef), including providing silver service for lunch parties for VIPs (we, of course, were plebs so had to eat elsewhere; collecting our meal tickets from "Steptoe & Son" at King's Stairs then going to Murray's Lane cafe for a cheap but decent bit of scran). Happy days, and a nice intro into the RN before I commenced my Part III (184 Sonar) course... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Yes, green was exclusively for Cs-in-C.

We had 45' picket boats with Gardiner engines to practice on at Dartmouth, as passengers on the chain ferries may have noticed when the ferry was occasionally rammed. One of six types of boats we had to pass out on as coxswain, variously under power (including kitchen rudder), oars and sail, in our ten hectic weeks there.

Only ever saw one gig, which was on board Triumph when she was Cadet Training Carrier, but cadets were not let anywhere near it, having five other sorts of boat to practice ramming and going aground in.

7. Forth, when SM7 mother ship in Singers was moored out off the yard , so liberty boats were on the go all the time.They had Kitchen gear ,& with all that practice,the boat drivers manoevering was a pleasure to watch.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  8. Seaweed

As a Mid I had one of Maidstone's 45' KR launches (until I inherited a 35' FMB which could do a couple of knots sideways to starboard if I was so inclined) and indeed my boat handling will have been a pleasure to watch, but not that of my opposite watch who parked it on top a submarine instead of alongside.

At one point (1963, I was flown in it while learning abour air weapons) FONAC had a Vampire taxi painted green and silver also known as a Green Parrot.

9. http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2006/06/images/davies_vampire_01.JPG http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/2066/picture758.jpg Also there was other Admiral Barges in Blue... Sea Vixen Gannet and Sea Harrier????, any pics would be nice:-D

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  10. Aye, that many launches/pig boats that when we put to sea(not often) the whole of the quarterdeck was taken up by lashed down boats.

11. I was drafted to FOP Staff as Cox'n (Gash Hand Division) as a new L/Sea. Draft lasted for one month then Pier Head Jumped to HMS Plymouth 48hrs notice. Them were the days

12. Scouse, I thought a Gig was an open boat? Did you row your Adm?

To all, just so I can get this straight, who would warranted a green barge in say post or pre WW1 when we had several fleets or stations? would the top man of each require a green barge?

It's an interesting subject: who did the barge belong to? The Adm and he'd take it with him if he moved among the ships of his fleet/sqn or did the barge, either blue or green, stay with the host 'flagship'?

Cheers

13. Sailed......Slippen Wins Gig Sailing Race | Scilly Today Think the correct sailing rig call,on a Gig, Is called Centre line?????

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  14. Seaweed

The barge stays with the flag.

Here's a Gig (from the Admiralty Manual of Seamanship 1937, vol.1):

[​IMG]

Described as the fastest type of Service boat under sail.

A gig as I recall could also pull five oars.

15. Aha. I'd overlooked the sails! Cheers. It's a nice idea that'd be great in good weather.

Is being chosen for the barge crew a 'plum' job given to the best men with good records?

So the barge belongs to the role? .. the situation!

An image of Lions Adms barge from the Baltic visit in 1914:

Lion - 1914 At Revel.jpg

16. Seaweed

Naturally the admiral is going to be pretty picky over who he has in his barge's crew. And of course the barge is going to have to be the smartest boat in the Fleet. That Charlie Noble is going to gleam like the sun. In the pic Stokes has his hat flat aback so bad news coming his way soon. To say nothing of having to dhobey out his 6's after each trip.

17. We had a fab Fairey Huntress on Bristol in 78 that was unil they let the YO's take it into Weymouth to pick up the skipper one night, hit a moored Bouy at twenty knots the skipper was shite at treading water!!!

18. Charlie Noble?

19. Jackspeak - "Charlie Noble: An H-shaped galley stove pipe seen in very much older warships, usually bound in brass and kept highly polished" although I have heard the term used for any type of funnel, chimney or smoke stack on a ship or boat.