Admiral Stanhope wins the Cheapskate Tri service Competition

Discussion in 'Diamond Lil's' started by trelawney126, Nov 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. wave_dodger

wave_dodger War Hero Book Reviewer

Reluctantly I think we need to look ourselves in the mirror. At my kids school there are a host of people who live in MQ within 3 miles of the school yet board their children and claim CEA, which I find simply immoral (and no most haven't had a previous sea, or out of area job, certainly within the last 2 appointments). I love the Tr-Service banter but actually sometimes there is real venom and you can see why when its claimed we've been guilty of abusing CEA more than the other two Services.
    • Like Like x 2

2. Classic case of don't hate the player, hate the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wave_dodger

But that is the attitude which has allowed immoral practices to pervade, and hence got to the point where a raft of allowances were put under the spotlight, so lots of people lost out.

These individuals are way Senior enough to understand that, and yet they walk the fine line but still lambast the people who work for them when they believe them to be doing similar. As Officers they should know better, and lead by example.

I suspect if an FOI was raised which asked how many RN personnel lived within 10 miles of Portsmouth, in MQ, yet had their children their in boarding school, funded by CEA, the answer would be embarrassing.
  4. The whole point is that in 2 years they may be in an MQ not in Portsmouth, so their kids would have to shift schools if not boarding with CEA. The Service person may not necessarily move every 2 years, but there is fair chance they will.
    • Like Like x 1

5. You sound like you're on a one man crusade to save the mob some money. Very commendable. BZ. However I refer you to my post above. If the system is place and as Doc says if there is a chance of upheaval then why not use it?

Personally I never used it ( hate kids) but surely it is one of the few perks and all part of the X factor?

As for the officer statement, not patronising to 40+ year old senior rates and co is it?
  6. wave_dodger

No it's not, if you read it correctly.

The individuals are Officers, they complain at work about people taking the pi$$ out of the system, then they do it.

So what part about my post is patronising to SNCOs?
  7. wave_dodger

Agree, but the system is for continuity of education. A number of the individuals were in London last - MQ in Portsmouth, CEA shouldn't apply, Portsnow now, in MQ, continuity as issue? They are playing the game.
  8. But they could be drafted to Faslane next, and no child should be subjected to moving to Scotland. Its about continuity. If your parents are in the RN for your entire school life it is very unlikely you are going to have continuity for all of it. You might get lucky but you probably wouldn't.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. witsend

witsend War Hero Book Reviewer

Damn right!

They could be taken to the secret Glencoe lair of a Yorkshire sex pest.

On another note, I bet the old Admiral wishes they brought back the grog. In the good ole days the plebs were too pissed to worry how much a cocktail party cost.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. I see the other side of the coin I suppose living in a small rural village in Cornwall the only options for my daughter were Fcuking Torpoint Community School (a complete shithouse of a school) or for me to apply for CEA when I joined Ark Royal,
    Like many people I was completly ignorant of the 11 plus scheme (funnily enough the 2 teachers in the village were not and got their kids into Devonport High Schoo)l, best thing I ever did and she received a first class education. On leaving Ark after 3 years at sea and appointed to Abbey Wood I lost my entitlement through my ignorance of the rules, my own fault I suppose but trying to get my entitlement back I wrote several letters of complaint to some quite senior officers none of whom had the bollocks to support me and who's own children were at boarding school whilst they were appointed to MOD in London and the resulting additional perks they were receiving, By pulling some cunning stunts I managed to keep her at boarding school to complete her education and I have to say that it was the best thing I ever did and would recommend the scheme to anyone who is eligible - take one of the few real perks the service still has to offer