Admiral Stanhope quote

"Far from being 'unfit for sea battle', the Queen Elizabeth Class carriers will be the largest ships the Royal Navy has ever operated, launching the most advanced fifth-generation stealth fighter available ('Dinky toy carriers unfit for sea battle', last week). Jet-to-jet mid-air refuelling is not a requirement for our operations and is not necessary [to 'attack targets at long range or carry heavier bomb loads']. The carriers will be able to operate within strike range of the vast majority of nations and, in extremis, in conjunction with both UK and coalition air-to-air refuelling aircraft, would be able to support longer range strike missions as required." Is the old boy,having a senior moment,or preparing for entry to the House of Lords:frown:

Seaweed

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Sounds like one of those Action Man dolls with a string you pull and standard noises come out.

P.S. The last time I saw an aircraft launched for b-b refuelling it was so that the receiver could safely go round again after coming back from an outing. And I thought one of the lessons from 1982 was about the virtues of a carrier being able to stand well back but ther CAP still having sufficient time on task in littoral warfare.

Last edited:
I suggest that Adml Mark is ably exercising his expertise as a sludgemariner. He neglects to admit that half the DD/FF force has been sacrificed to retain the carrier funding. I used to think that he was an OK bloke.