Admiral Stanhope quote

Discussion in 'The Fleet Air Arm' started by scouse, Jan 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Far from being 'unfit for sea battle', the Queen Elizabeth Class carriers will be the largest ships the Royal Navy has ever operated, launching the most advanced fifth-generation stealth fighter available ('Dinky toy carriers unfit for sea battle', last week). Jet-to-jet mid-air refuelling is not a requirement for our operations and is not necessary [to 'attack targets at long range or carry heavier bomb loads']. The carriers will be able to operate within strike range of the vast majority of nations and, in extremis, in conjunction with both UK and coalition air-to-air refuelling aircraft, would be able to support longer range strike missions as required." Is the old boy,having a senior moment,or preparing for entry to the House of Lords:frown:
  2. With age should come wisdom, it looks as though Mark could be the exception to that rule.
  3. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Sounds like one of those Action Man dolls with a string you pull and standard noises come out.

P.S. The last time I saw an aircraft launched for b-b refuelling it was so that the receiver could safely go round again after coming back from an outing. And I thought one of the lessons from 1982 was about the virtues of a carrier being able to stand well back but ther CAP still having sufficient time on task in littoral warfare.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2013
  4. I suggest that Adml Mark is ably exercising his expertise as a sludgemariner. He neglects to admit that half the DD/FF force has been sacrificed to retain the carrier funding. I used to think that he was an OK bloke.