Admiral Sir Henry Leach

Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by the.rea, Apr 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RIP Sir - In the right place at exactly the right time; undeniably an example of 'Cometh the hour, cometh the man'.

2. Some people you just can't help but respect and hope to meet one day in the world of light.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  3. RIP Sir......

4. I doubt we will ever again see anyone of Sir Henry's stature in the Royal Navy, much less across the Services.

RIP

5. R.I.P Sir, a great man indeed.

6. RIP Sir.
    If only you had been CDS instead of that Prat Stirrup.
    Roofs

7. RIP to a fine officer and leader.

He was skipper of the Albion when I was on 848 in the early 70's.

8. Every so often we come up with a RN leader of great skills,this was such a man.Glad he was there at the time.RIP

9. He was the epitomy of what a top ranking military officer should be. RIP

10. Levers_Aligned

Levers_Aligned War Hero Moderator

Never, ever let it be forgotten that whilst Thatcher had green-lighted Not's plans to run down the mob (and practically everything else ... we'd be non-existant today if it had gone ahead) it was Leach who saved her sorry arse when the Falklands were in the shit. Hestletine's semi-gaffe the other week on QT revealled a lot of what we'd known for years, namely that successive governments had no interest in the Falklands of South Georgia and alignments between Galtieri and Thatcher with their people showing serious disgruntlement and needing a way out aren't too far from reality.

RIP Henry. Him and Johnny Fieldhouse were true matelots.

levers

11. RIP. Condolences to all his family. A great officer and a proper gent.

I fondly recall sharing a cup of tea and Naafi biscuits with him in the catering office at RNC Greenwich

12. RIP Sir. Farewell to a fine officer, and a good man.

2BM

13. Fully endorse all the posts above - farewell, Sir - you stood up for what you believed in and gave us all some of our national pride back.

14. RIP Sir....

15. Chicojizz, you and the late Admiral have one thing in common. You both reached the pinnicle of your naval careers.

16. Seaweed

Seaweed War Hero Book Reviewer

Someone just put yesterday's Indy through my door. Leach obit with photo of wrong admiral. (Checked Indy on the net but no pic). Unbelievably crass even for that rag.

17. "His advice was clear: the Falklands should be recaptured, “Because if we do not, or if we pussyfoot in our actions and do not achieve complete success, in another few months we shall be living in a different country whose word counts for little”."

Fantastically put.

May he rest in peace.