Adive

Hey, I’m a newbie here, first thing I’m posting. I know on the Royal Navy website that you can apply for the Royal Navy diver branch with no diving experience, was wondering if anyone has done this? Also does anyone know the waiting time to start basic training? I’ve heard it can be anything from 12 months to 3 years! If that was the case could I apply and do Royal Marines reserve training at the same time as my Royal Navy application?

I’ll have you know I have frequented many a high class dive, class depending on what stage of the run-ashore you enter them, I have entered one sober and thought what a dump, but still had a pint.

I’ll have you know I have frequented many a high class dive, class depending on what stage of the run-ashore you enter them, I have entered one sober and thought what a dump, but still had a pint.
I went in to Beasties in Sarfsea once stone cold sober and I never did that again (I was duty driver), I'd been in there many times bladdered but never sober, it was a bit of a shock to the system!!

The RN schools of dancing (East and West premises) left a lot to be desired if you saw them with the lights on, normally when someone kicked off and the bouncers came to play. You used to have to wipe your feet when you left Spanners.

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Hey, I’m a newbie here, first thing I’m posting. I know on the Royal Navy website that you can apply for the Royal Navy diver branch with no diving experience, was wondering if anyone has done this? Also does anyone know the waiting time to start basic training? I’ve heard it can be anything from 12 months to 3 years! If that was the case could I apply and do Royal Marines reserve training at the same time as my Royal Navy application?
Many Navy Divers apply with no diving experience but whilst it's not a pre-requisite, nor are diving qualifications, it makes sense to at least have a go at diving in case you don't like it. A recreational dive in the Maldives compares little with a dive on the River Humber in the middle of winter in zero visibility, for example.

I'd expect a wait to join of between two to three years at present.

Nothing to stop a dual application for the RMR and RN Diver but the next RMR recruit troop, depending on region, probably doesn't commence until late October/early November and RMR training will take 12-18 months to complete, leaving little time to actually undertake the Commando role before undergoing RN Diver training from scratch.

Good luck.

Many Navy Divers apply with no diving experience but whilst it's not a pre-requisite, nor are diving qualifications, it makes sense to at least have a go at diving in case you don't like it. A recreational dive in the Maldives compares little with a dive on the River Humber in the middle of winter in zero visibility, for example.

I'd expect a wait to join of between two to three years at present.

Nothing to stop a dual application for the RMR and RN Diver but the next RMR recruit troop, depending on region, probably doesn't commence until late October/early November and RMR training will take 12-18 months to complete, leaving little time to actually undertake the Commando role before undergoing RN Diver training from scratch.

Good luck.

Cheers ninja! Il look into diving in Scotland, at least the RMR training would keep me fit for it if it is that long a wait!

Cheers ninja! Il look into diving in Scotland, at least the RMR training would keep me fit for it if it is that long a wait!
Seriously, get yourself down to Finnart jetty on any Sunday morning and chat to the lads and lassies diving. All along the road-side of Loch Long are 30m+ shore dives. Find a club local to you and get started!

Latest Threads