Activated Protein C diffency

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by smigz.50, Nov 20, 2007.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all, im looking to apply for the royal marines,

I have a heredatory blood condition which is called Activated protein 'C'

Basically 1 in 1,650 people in the country have it and it gives you a 7.9% more chance of getting a DVT than someone who hasnt got it! Reading the medical contions to apply it says you are permantly unfit to join the forces if your blood is more prone to clotting!!

Can anyone tell me if they suffer from this or know anyone that does and are in the marines??

Thanks

2. Apparently, you are permanently unfit to join the forces if your blood is more prone to clotting.

Make an appointment to see the Doc at your local AFCO, or phone him/her up. That way you will get a yes or no straight from the horses mouth :)
    To be honest though mate, I do think you know what the answer will be.

3. You're unlucky to have been diagnosed with it - most people don't know they have it until they get their first DVT. This probably won't make you feel any better though.

4. ...which is damned unfortunate! 7.9% is a pretty low percentage after all. And contrast your condition with the recent introduction of 'Quickclot'; after all if a bootie gets slotted he's going to want to stop leaking pretty quickly.... he says with a very slight touch of irony

5. yeah, one of my family members had a DVT years ago so they tested the close family and it turned up with me, my uncle, my brother and my mum all having it!

So in your eyes angrydoc there is no chance of being accepted?