Action Navy

silverfox

War Hero
Book Reviewer
When I was Guns/Corro in a Ton we had the flash electric mount. All that 40/60 made my trousers lumpy.

Also watched the linked one about Junior Officers in Broadsword. Depressing to see that the current CBF Gib looks just like he did as a Subbie, curse him!

Nice to see HMS Danae wasp 464 in one piece, left her a complete write off at Tengah, on our way back from Horsburgh LT many moons ago

Yeps! the reference at the end to the 'Vince' being built, I posted a pic of her, half broken up in Turkey a few weeks ago-----Tempis Fugit!

TeeCeeCee

Lantern Swinger
Yeps! the reference at the end to the 'Vince' being built, I posted a pic of her, half broken up in Turkey a few weeks ago-----Tempis Fugit!
Yeah, classed as an 'anti-submarine cruiser' wasn't it? Operates a Sqn of anti-submarine helos and is capable of operating vertical take-off aircraft.

That they did so well in the Falklands shows how flexible the harrier concept was.

I just love to read and know about the history books,
specially this topic is my Favorite ....
glad to know about all article here, thanks and just keep it up guys ....

Froggy - I reckon the film dates around 1975 (INVINCIBLE on the stocks and AMAZON at sea) but the TON Class minehunting footage looks earlier and was probably archive material. I am confused by the 'V' on BRONINGTON's funnel because the VERNON Squadron only existed between 1956 and 1962 yet the video shows her at sea after her conversion to a minehunter in Dec 1965 when she joined the 1st MCM Squadron at Port Edgar (opposite Rosyth).

The coxswain of the Gemini, using Clansman, looks suspiciously like Lt Cdr Brian Braidwood in his younger days (I'll check with him) but I can't identify the other divers.

BRONINGTON Gemini coxswain.jpg

This is Brian Braidwood being presented with the Queen's Commendation for Bravery by Admiral Sir Horace Law (C-in-C Naval Home Command) in the great cabin of HMS VICTORY in June 1971:

Brian Braidwood QCB June 1971 med.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads