Action Navy

Discussion in 'History' started by Scorch, Feb 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This one did, especially watching the opening scenes. :)

Thank you.

2. More ships in that clip than we currently have now. And a Wasp doing its thing too. Brill.

3. Too jack for me, might aswell have been in French!

4. What's wrong? No pit pissing?

It was awesome.

5. Thats the navy I served in. How its shrunk. 150 ships. how many now ?

6. silverfox

silverfox War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

When I was Guns/Corro in a Ton we had the flash electric mount. All that 40/60 made my trousers lumpy.

Also watched the linked one about Junior Officers in Broadsword. Depressing to see that the current CBF Gib looks just like he did as a Subbie, curse him!

7. Nice to see HMS Danae wasp 464 in one piece, left her a complete write off at Tengah, on our way back from Horsburgh LT many moons ago

8. Old ships there.

Was on the Kent when she sailed beneath the Golden Gate.

9. Yeps! the reference at the end to the 'Vince' being built, I posted a pic of her, half broken up in Turkey a few weeks ago-----Tempis Fugit!

10. There was too much smoke in the room to see it clearly.

11. Some wonderful shots of Danae, my last ship. Thanks for the memories.

2BM

12. Yeah, classed as an 'anti-submarine cruiser' wasn't it? Operates a Sqn of anti-submarine helos and is capable of operating vertical take-off aircraft.

That they did so well in the Falklands shows how flexible the harrier concept was.

13. I just love to read and know about the history books,
    specially this topic is my Favorite ....
    glad to know about all article here, thanks and just keep it up guys ....

14. I paid Danae off, brilliant ship!

15. Any idea who the divers are NG?

16. Froggy - I reckon the film dates around 1975 (INVINCIBLE on the stocks and AMAZON at sea) but the TON Class minehunting footage looks earlier and was probably archive material. I am confused by the 'V' on BRONINGTON's funnel because the VERNON Squadron only existed between 1956 and 1962 yet the video shows her at sea after her conversion to a minehunter in Dec 1965 when she joined the 1st MCM Squadron at Port Edgar (opposite Rosyth).

The coxswain of the Gemini, using Clansman, looks suspiciously like Lt Cdr Brian Braidwood in his younger days (I'll check with him) but I can't identify the other divers.

BRONINGTON Gemini coxswain.jpg

This is Brian Braidwood being presented with the Queen's Commendation for Bravery by Admiral Sir Horace Law (C-in-C Naval Home Command) in the great cabin of HMS VICTORY in June 1971:

Brian Braidwood QCB June 1971 med.jpg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  17. Happy days. Though you might have been XO during the filming!!!

18. Ooh, you are a wag! Mind you, Brian Braidwood was the CO of the Defence Explosive Ordnance Disposal School (DEODS) at Chattenden when I was on my LMCDO course so you're not a million miles out. ;-)