ACLO - People's experiences...

Discussion in 'Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting' started by freda_nelson, Jul 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I can't find anything about ACLOs specifically anywhere else so here goes:

I'm currently waiting for my AIB date, so have met my ACLO and had the interview etc. At the time he seemed like a great guy, very keen to help etc.
    However, he told me at my interview he was leaving the service and this was his last post. Since this interview I haven't been able to contact him.
    I sent an email over a month ago that he hasn't responded to, i've called his mobile and left a message which he has ignored.
    When I called the AFCO they mentioned that he is going on lots of courses to prepare to leave the service...but didn't give me any further options for advice.

Has anyone else had an experience of a completely absent ACLO? I realise he isn't there to spoon-feed this stuff to me, but a couple of choice questions every so often shouldn't be too much to ask, in my opinion.

Any advice welcome

2. Are you pregnant by him, or did you lend him money? :roll:
    Ninja might track him down and kill him for you, but there is a waiting list.
  3. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

I dunno how to break this to you, Freda, but Smudge Smith has passed away. He topped himself last week, due to stress/anxiety and depression, after being hounded by a bunny boiling potential occifer candidate... :bunny: :cry:

Hope you're not too upset by this, hun. Perhaps Ninja can take you under his wing..? :twisted:
  4. Sadly it's not that simple...if he owed me money it would all make sense.
    I'm just a little disappointed that he's so unavailable - especially when I read about how some people's ACLOs are awesome! Think I got the short end of the stick with this guy...

5. Yeah well he was on here last week saying as how he was being stalked and has gone to ground.
    Spooky. :wink:
  6. Or perhaps, as you said, he's going outside and has himself and his family to consider. Even ACLO's have to leave sometime and get a job.
  7. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Probably not particularly wise to carry out an anonymous character assassination in the public domain in the hope of getting an earlier AIB, but your call, I suppose.

If dissatisfied, the usual procedure is to write a letter of complaint to the Regional Recruiting Officer, care of your AFCO.

Best of luck in a successful resolution.
  8. You could always call your AFCO back and ask that in light of your ACLO's non availability if they have another ACLO you could talk to, i'm sure there are plenty around....
  9. I wouldnt go so far as to say that was a character assassination - I really liked the guy when I met him, i'm just disappointed that I haven't been able to get any follow up support through a process that can have little contact with the applicant for months at a time.
    I'm doing everything in my power to get this done ASAP and come out the other side at BRNC, because I know it's what I want to do. I have no intention of rocking the boat by complaining about him, I just wanted an idea of other people's experiences.

Thanks for the advice.

10. sgtpepperband

sgtpepperband War Hero Moderator Book Reviewer

Does that include actually attending your AFCO and speaking to the staff there, rather than posting dismissive comments on Rum Ration? :oops:
  11. Ninja_Stoker

You're very welcome.

Generally we would advise Officer applicants to start the application process about 8-12 months prior to their intended start date.

Whilst enthusiasm is most definitely required, your previous posts suggest things are just not happening fast enough:

June 18

June 28:

June 29

July 7

Your ACLO appears to have submitted your application to AIB and AIB would already appear to be doing all that is possible to give an early AIB date.
  12. I was merely canvassing for opinion here, somehow I seem to have offended the "powers that be" so for that I apologise.
    Thanks to all those who offered advice, it is appreciated.

13. Ninja_Stoker

One day in the hopefully not too distant future, you may also be an ACLO.

The advice offered is to consider how you would feel if an applicant were to make comments that you were unable to respond to.

Whether you've offended anyone on here is unlikely, but if I were your ACLO I'd be a trifle miffed.
  14. No, you were stamping your feet like a prissy little mongette. The bloke has a limited period allocated to him to prepare for life on civvy street, and you appear to consider he has not the right to do so.

Take the initiative that your desired career demands, get off your bubbly arse and sort it out yourself.
  15. Seconded