ACL reconstruction

Discussion in 'RFA' started by Britlad, Aug 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I was just wondering weather or not I would still be able to join the Royal Fleet Auxiliary having had an ACL reconstruction in my left knee, or any other role in the Royal navy for that matter, thanks
  2. An aggressively handsome pox-doctor called 'Angry Doc' will be along forthwith to help.
  3. There are RFA medical standards, and you will need to pass the ENG1 medical (which civvy GPs do) but I don't think an ACL reconstruction will hold you back as long as you have full function back now.

And cheers for the compliment - have been taking mirror-admiring advice from the LPT!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. It's only what those lads down the docks were saying :-D
  5. Hey, I'm in the army now, and really enjoying it however if I was to transfer to the Royal Marines, would I have to leave the army and re-join the navy from civvy street or could I just say, do the AACC and CIC then transfer to the Royal Marines, without having to go and see a doctor, cause no doubt id fail the medical due to a past ACL reconstruction, even though I'm fine now and in the Army
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

ACL reconstrruction is unfortunately a bar to entry or re-entry into the Royal Marines if there's a break in service.

Whilst I'm sure we all know of individuals currently serving who have had ACL reconstruction without discharge, the standards for entry differ to those currently serving.

If you've successfully completed AACC & CIC, you could theoretically apply to transfer whilst serving but equally, the Royal Marines Principal Medical Officer could still potentially block a transfer due to the medical history.

Best bet? Contact the RN Medical Manager for definitive advice, he's on the GAL under NAVY CNR-OPS MM SO3

Best o'luck.