ACL reconstruction and the RNR

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by KLS75, Sep 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi! Hope someone can help! I am hoping to re-join the Royal Naval Reserve in the near future, but was wondering with regards to the medical.....
    I had a hamstring ACL reconstruction of my left knee a year ago, and was wondering if this would be a bar to service in the RNR Info Ops branch? I’m back up and running again (literally)!
    I know that people have mentioned ACL reconstructions before, however I’m still a little hazy on whether or not this is a complete bar to RNR service? Some posts seem to say that it is, whereas others seem to say that that isn’t necessarily the case. Apologies if it’s just me misreading things, but I just wanted to check before going ahead with my application?
    Do I carry on with my application and see what they say, or do I just give up on the recruitment process now?
    Any advice would be much appreciated!
    Thanks in advance! =-\\\\\\\\
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

The medical standards for entry into the reserves are the same as the regulars if you are employed in a full commitment role. It's probably best AD offers his opinion rather than punt a guess, but I would suggest that whilst the RN operates a single service policy in some areas, it doesn't necessarily rule out other services.

Good luck.
  3. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Had a feeling that might be the case - not holding out much hope then!
    Thanks again!
  4. Wait for angrydoc to give you an informed opinion. I know this may not help by a friend of mine got into the RAF with a hamstring ACL reconstruction so it may not be a no from the RN.
  5. Thanks Bluebird - I'll tentatively re-cross my fingers then! :)