Discussion in 'Current Affairs' started by themightyg, Nov 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Navy Net aka Rum Ration

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial RN website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the bbc are showing a drama about bullying in the army during op herrick.

is this based on a true story?
    it seemed pretty ott to me, but is there any element of truth to this in the forces, are there "bitches" etc?

i remember a lad at 45 filed a complaint to the police (and has probably fucked 9 months of training and his future career by doing so) when he took objection to the initiation ceremony up there but not heard much back from it since.

if this has to be off comms then fair enough, just thought i would ask as i have my missus asking me how i would feel, at this grand old age of (30's) being subjected to that type of treatment and what i would do about it and im pretty sure there are a lot of new recruits younger and less gullable than me thinking "what if it IS like that?" and being hesitant.

all in a pretty ******* insensitive subject given we have lads still falling over there.
  2. "a piece of fiction"
    they should have that put up at the start the same way that they do at the start of films where they say "based on a true story" (as if thats supposed to make whatever gash you watch somehow better because, "well it happened in real life").
    maybe they did and i missed it.

She said: "It was a very extreme situation which I don't think purported to be docudrama."
    I was a media brat for years and it looked very much like a docudrama to me?
    Giveaways that it was fiction were the mod passing the body as KIA with only one exit wound, the lad getting a free pass out of prison as he was joining the army, his buddy getting posted to same unit and same tour etc but others wouldnt have been thinking about stuff like that.

They will just be drinking their coffe and eating their sugar puffs thinking "we have given these thugs millions on armed forces day and look what they are upto" or something or other.
  3. The accused was hands down the biggest load of horseshit I've ever had the mispleasure of sitting through. It is an awful piece of bile that will go down in the annals of history as a travesty, even without the forces element.

There is simply no comparison to military life in that abortion of a play. It is evident immediately that they didn't even have a proper military advisor, let alone it based on real events.

The writer, who's name I'm not even going to mention because the scouse cock doesn't even deserve the google hits, hates the forces and has a vendetta. The fact that this was even allowed to go out says much of the bbc.

There is of course the occasional case of bullying in the armed forces, as there is everywhere, but this catwank waste of celloloid should not be given the time of day.

Ignore, if you have to watch any bbc drama based on the military, there is only one. The warriors.
  4. In my experience, if you file something, the chances are that it will never be seen again. It's far better to submit things.
  5. I think in any large group your going to have an element of bullying.sad to say thats human nature.Thats why you need good NCO's, who should keep it in check. Though if the system fails through the chain of command you end up with a deepcut situation.
  6. Guessing its that gobshite McGovern then. Typical type of crap that he'd come up with. I didnt even make it a third of the way through before turning it off.
  7. Purple_twiglet

Purple_twiglet War Hero Moderator

"It is evident immediately that they didn't even have a proper military advisor, let alone it based on real events."

Apparently their military advisor was a former Royal Engineer - says it all really - a great Corps, but WTF do they know about life in the Infantry?
  8. What a load of trash I would rather watch an episode of x-factor.
  9. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker War Hero Moderator

Doubtless those in 59 & 131 Commando Squadron Royal Engineers would agree whole-heartedly. :wink:

10. The Accused - is any scouser wearing a suit :roll:
  11. (granny)

(granny) War Hero Book Reviewer

I never realised that a 'Corporal' had such power. To decide the evidence, fix the MO into lying, I presume a Doc did look at the body? Talk the Red caps out of investigating. He was some 'hombre'. He could even decide who would be sent home with the body.
  12. Concur. Well put
  13. I found it to be a reasonably entertaining hour of fictional drama.
  14. I thought it was ok as a dit but a bit OTT, especially the amount of power the corporal seemed to have.
  15. More than enough to get the basics right. It doesn't matter what his capbadge. Berets, kit, the way they spoke, handled their weapons etc was all way off. A six year old could point out what was wrong. The sergeants goatee beard and him being referred to as sarge was a particular highlight.

It was nothing more than jimmy mcgoverns turgid little **** fantasy of how he percieves the forces brought to life.

And to think, I used to like mckenzie crook.
  16. There are few if any TV progs that accurately show what life is like in any organisation.
    I've spent most of my civil life in the aviation business and have yet to fly on an aircraft when the captain is wearing a hat; yet that seems to be the way the media always portray them (Have you ever seen a grown man naked :lol: ) Neither have I ever had my beaver stuffed 8O
  17. Concur with most of the above.

Was looking forward to the programme, it had excellent previews and some jurno claimed that Mackenzie Crook was 'outstanding' or similar.

Very disappointed - Crook was awful (his actor's accent stood out), little research appeared to have been done - and I'm no expert in Army type stuff - and it was so predictable.

Shame - last week's was good.
  18. As an example I think you will find that a RM Corporal leading a patrol has considerable power and responsibility in fact I would go as far as to say much more than your average pussers Leading Hand.

Anyway it was a piece of fiction and should be treated as such.
  19. You're right about the corporal thing fink. It is much the same in most army regiments.

However, a piece of fiction it may be but to many this is an inside look that some believe to be an accurate depiction of forces life.

It may put some people off, or at the very least give people doubts about joining as evidenced by the op.