Accommodation

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
When I pass out of HMS Raleigh it is just before the summer holiday begins so I have 4 weeks off between phase 1 and phase 2. I live very near to HMS Raleigh but I don't want to be living at home with my parents. I want to be able to move on with my life as an adult. Will I be offered to stay on barracks or any form of accommodation?

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
When are you due to finish PH1? Where is your PH2? Leave periods for almost other establishments are three weeks, not four.

Once you pass out you will usually move on to your next training establishment. If it is Portsmouth, HMS Sultan has become the centre for those who don’t have anywhere to stay over main leave periods as most establishments shut down.

Are you under 18?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
When are you due to finish PH1? Where is your PH2? Leave periods for almost other establishments are three weeks, not four.

Once you pass out you will usually move on to your next training establishment. If it is Portsmouth, HMS Sultan has become the centre for those who don’t have anywhere to stay over main leave periods as most establishments shut down.

Are you under 18?

I pass out of PH1 on July 12th and my PH2 is back at Raleigh which have a 4 week summer leave and yes I'm 16

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I pass out of PH1 on July 12th and my PH2 is back at Raleigh which have a 4 week summer leave and yes I'm 16
I think the reasons behind you wishing to stay somewhere other than your next of kin is something to discuss with your DO when you arrive at RAL. As you are under 18, the Navy has a duty of care when you aren’t staying on base, so they will arrange something for you.

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
I think the reasons behind you wishing to stay somewhere other than your next of kin is something to discuss with your DO when you arrive at RAL. As you are under 18, the Navy has a duty of care when you aren’t staying on base, so they will arrange something for you.

That's great, thank you for your help!

WreckerL

War Hero
There is a system in place at Raleigh for those who don't have a anywhere to go, being under 18 .may be a problem though, as Crash says ,it's all about duty of care as the RN are responsible for your welfare if you stay on board and the base is empty of RN personnel over a leave period.

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
There is a system in place at Raleigh for those who don't have a anywhere to go, being under 18 .may be a problem though, as Crash says ,it's all about duty of care as the RN are responsible for your welfare if you stay on board and the base is empty of RN personnel over a leave period.
Would they offer barracks at stonehouse etc... I reckon I'll be staying home this summer. I'm not 18 until next August .

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
I can only speak for Pompey, as an U18 if you stay in an establishment you will have to fall in line with 23:59 leave expiry and midnight bed checks. That requires staff who have been DBS and have carried out Care of Trainees courses etc. Not everyone has, which limits the options.

If they can do that in Drake, happy days. If not it will be challenging to find you somewhere.

WreckerL

War Hero
Would they offer barracks at stonehouse etc... I reckon I'll be staying home this summer. I'm not 18 until next August .
No, it will be Raleigh. Your Divisional Staff will advise. If memory serves correctly,you'll still need your parents permission, even if you stay at a mates house for the leave period, it was certainly the case when I was DO to Phase 2's at Raleigh.

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
I can only speak for Pompey, as an U18 if you stay in an establishment you will have to fall in line with 23:59 leave expiry and midnight bed checks. That requires staff who have been DBS and have carried out Care of Trainees courses etc. Not everyone has, which limits the options.

If they can do that in Drake, happy days. If not it will be challenging to find you somewhere.

Thanks for your advice. Fingers crossed drake is similar

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
No, it will be Raleigh. Your Divisional Staff will advise. If memory serves correctly,you'll still need your parents permission, even if you stay at a mates house for the leave period, it was certainly the case when I was DO to Phase 2's at Raleigh.
It’s the case in Collingwood PH2 also. Even if you want to stay on board, as in loco parentis we still can’t override the wishes of your immediate NOK.

NavyGirl0505

Midshipman
Raleigh is across the ferry so I will have to have a conversation with a DO and see what they can do. Staying at home with my parents and having a proper job doesn't seem right to me...

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Raleigh is across the ferry so I will have to have a conversation with a DO and see what they can do. Staying at home with my parents and having a proper job doesn't seem right to me...
It is all because of the Deepcut incident a few years ago. It is a turbo hot topic and not one for discussion. As we’ve both eluded to, have a chat with your DO on arrival.