Accident Sea Vampire 19 October 1960 RNAS Lossiemouth

deckhead

Banned
A dear pal of mine and his Midshipman trainee died in Sea Vampire T22 XA114 one mile from Lossiemouth at Coulard Bank Farm.

No board of enquiry ensued.
Does any RR member have any information please.

fido

MIA
deckhead said:
A dear pal of mine and his Midshipman trainee died in Sea Vampire T22 XA114 one mile from Lossiemouth at Coulard Bank Farm.

No board of enquiry ensued.
Does any RR member have any information please.
Not me I'm afraid - I was at Brawdy then. However, do check with either:

The Officer in Charge
RN Flight Safety and Accident Investigation Centre
RNAS Yeovilton
Yeovil
Somerset BA22 8HT

or

The Director
The Fleet Air Arm Museum
RNAS Yeovilton
Yeovil
Somerset BA22 8HT

Although a Board of Inquiry (BOI) might not have been convened, an A25 (Aircraft Accident Report) would, I am sure, heve been rendered. Although a copy of the report might no longer be held by the RNFS&AIC after such a long time, it would almost certainly be lodged with the Public Records Office. If it does, and you can show cause, the Freedom of Information Act might well allow access.

lsadirty

War Hero
National Archive (formerly Public Record Office) has a file "Review of aircraft accidents July-December 1960" under reference ADM 1/27627 - should be some detail of the circumstances there.

My father Arthur Stewart was due to take that flight, and pupil, but returned late from a sortie. He met Mike Bristow (pilot) on the apron and had a few words thrown at him for being late and hence Mike having to take the flight. Every time I visit Lossie I go to Milltown cemetary to visit Mike's grave, were it not for him I may not have been here today, as it was before my time. When the plane went in it was know that Dad was supposed to be on that sortie and the wives all came to comfort my mum, including I think Mike's widow. It was not until a little while after it become clear that it was Mike and not Dad who had been lost. It never ceases to amaze me how many young men gave their lives in peacetime for Naval Flying.

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
It was most interesting to read of your fathers link with Mike Bristowe. Your father had joined the navy in the short lived postwar 1948 Rating Pilot scheme passing through initially at HMS Royal Arthur at Corsham.
Mike missed out on that and joined the navy as a rating Naval Airman applying successfully to be a pilot a few years later when all Observer and Pilot positions were to be filled from commissioned ranks.
Mike served as a pilot sub lt from 1954 to Lt at his sad death in 1960.
I see your father had a full pilots career from 766 Sqaudron on Hermes to Saudi Arabian Airlines Captain. Good for him.

Thats really useful and interesting information - thank you. I am writing a book and this incident forms the beginning. Can I ask where you managed to glean all the info from ? Would be useful to know ..... Yes dad did have a full and varied career even post Naval flying, his collection of aircraft types is something you would never see in the modern era !

Attachments

ratsroden

Lantern Swinger
Navy Net is not the best forum to wax lyrical about the old and bold. Comments from its inexperienced members are inclined to refer to Old Farts and Pish-Stained others when they have nothing further intelligently to
add. Sad but true.
Bearing that in mind I can say that I served alongside Michael Desmond Bristowe who was a good friend. I well remember his mother?/wife commemorating his death in the Daily Telegraph annually for many years.
All lost to the present day Royal Navy who seem interested only in what they can get out of it-- Not what they can put in. We'll leave it there.