Access to RN sports?

SmellyPongo5454

Midshipman
Maybe a bit of a random one....

Whilst on course at Collingwood / Raleigh or elsewhere if there’s an RN rugby / football / tiddlywinks team for example would RFA pers be permitted to train with them or is there some kind of insurance “you’re not RN and if we break you we’d be up shit creek” clause?

Keen rugby player about to start as Comms App.

Random

Lantern Swinger
Maybe a bit of a random one....

Whilst on course at Collingwood / Raleigh or elsewhere if there’s an RN rugby / football / tiddlywinks team for example would RFA pers be permitted to train with them or is there some kind of insurance “you’re not RN and if we break you we’d be up shit creek” clause?

Keen rugby player about to start as Comms App.
More the other way around, the RFA doesnt like you doing sport in their name/with their blessing as they believe they would have liability if you got hurt.

However I have played a fair amount of sport when on course and I have been a ringer for a couple of RN command sailing teams over the years. When it comes to formal membership of an RN sports club though (not just messing around with the guys on a base) each club seems to have its own rules, and not all are welcoming to us.

Not sure about Rugby's rules as the closest I have got to them is getting drunk with the lads at the Army Navy. However have a browse of the navy rugby website and give them an email ([email protected]) and see what they say .

Joining/playing the RN Sports Lottery may help, as a lot of the reasons I have heard for the RFA not being allowed to take part is that non-lottery members cannot receive funding from it (and it is the main funder of a lot of sports).

As a member of the RFA you are also allowed to join all the civil service clubs, so if the navy dont want you to play, the civil servants will be more than happy for you to join in.

Whilst at Raleigh you could use the swimming pool and gym. Tried joining sports teams and they either wouldn't except RFA or you can train with them but not play/compete. However if a few of you are so inclined you can hire out the sports pitches/courts. Our group hired football pitch together and played 5 a side every week. Collingwood may be different culture but they are suppose to be doing more for sports inclusion with the RN so hopefully it is changing.

Pandaplodder

Badgeman
More the other way around, the RFA doesnt like you doing sport in their name/with their blessing as they believe they would have liability if you got hurt.

However I have played a fair amount of sport when on course and I have been a ringer for a couple of RN command sailing teams over the years. When it comes to formal membership of an RN sports club though (not just messing around with the guys on a base) each club seems to have its own rules, and not all are welcoming to us.

Not sure about Rugby's rules as the closest I have got to them is getting drunk with the lads at the Army Navy. However have a browse of the navy rugby website and give them an email ([email protected]) and see what they say .

Joining/playing the RN Sports Lottery may help, as a lot of the reasons I have heard for the RFA not being allowed to take part is that non-lottery members cannot receive funding from it (and it is the main funder of a lot of sports).

As a member of the RFA you are also allowed to join all the civil service clubs, so if the navy dont want you to play, the civil servants will be more than happy for you to join in.
But if your RFA then your RNR as well!

RFA at HMS Raleigh

Lantern Swinger
one issue is on an RN course that runs every few weeks for example new entrant Initial Navy training at HMS Raleigh if youget injured in week 2, then you can be back classed a few weeks later. If as a CIS new entrant, we only have 3 entries a year, so if got injured in week 2 of the course playing competitive sport and were back classed you would be waiting 3 - 4 months. So part of it is risk mittiagtion. Trainees have played sports, however if get injured have you got sports injury insurance that pays the bills if get injured and unable to go to work for 3 - 4 months.
There are facilities that you can join including some civil service centres as well as military elements, but it is a trade off, especially if playing competitive rugby and as an ex second row of 11 years playing, rugby is in a different risk category than some other sports.

Groups have played 5 as side while at Ral in the past against the RN and with the RN, and other groups have not, depends on the group as well. Also he times of orgainsed sport may not be compatible with your timetable of classes to do regular commitements, but is not impossible. Just ask when start course. With the covid overlay, keeping courses / people separate comes into play.

Latest Threads