Navy Net - Royal Navy Community

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Skimmerlad123

Midshipman
Hi everyone, I applied for the Accelerated Weapons Engineer course, passed the exams and the interview but unfortunately was not selected by the board to be offered a place, however I was offered a job going in as a standard rate rather then leading hand.

The next Intake for the accelerated course is October 2020 where as the intake for the standard course is February 2020. And I’m struggling for what to choose can you guys/girls give me your opinions? Here’s some basic info:

1) Not guaranteed to get it next October either
2) Could potentially get fast tracked on standard route as already have the qualifications I’d get from it
3) Already have a job getting 30K+ a year so standard would mean a significant drop in salary

All and any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

fishhead

War Hero
No of us know your financial status or commitments so commenting would be irresponsible.
In theory if you were a borderline case for acceptance to the accelerated scheme you should have no problem going the slower route and and progressing quickly up the greasy pole.
If you have faith in your own ability and can take the financial hit go for it.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

slim

War Hero
Hi everyone, I applied for the Accelerated Weapons Engineer course, passed the exams and the interview but unfortunately was not selected by the board to be offered a place, however I was offered a job going in as a standard rate rather then leading hand.

The next Intake for the accelerated course is October 2020 where as the intake for the standard course is February 2020. And I’m struggling for what to choose can you guys/girls give me your opinions? Here’s some basic info:

1) Not guaranteed to get it next October either
2) Could potentially get fast tracked on standard route as already have the qualifications I’d get from it
3) Already have a job getting 30K+ a year so standard would mean a significant drop in salary

All and any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance
If you enjoy the job you are in then I would wait and try again. If you fail this time then stay in the well paid job

mick1199

Badgeman
What is progression like for standard entry? Is it quicker if you have certain qualifications? Is it based on merit, like you generally show you can perform your chosen role well? Or is it very much luck/time based?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Accelerated Apprentice Scheme (AE) CP level Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
J Accelerated apprentice scheme in marine engineering Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 11
crash_evans Royal Navy Accelerated Apprentice (AA) Scheme Pipelines (AE/ME/WE) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 6
E Accelerated Apprenticeship scheme (Air Engineering) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 9
N ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME (MARINE ENGINEERING) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
O How long is the professional training durring the accelerated appreticeship scheme(Air engineering) Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 19
Ninja_Stoker ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 30
J Accelerated Apprentice Scheme Joining the Royal Navy 4
N Any Accelerated Apprenticeship Scheme: Marine Engineers here? Joining the Royal Navy 31
K Accelerated Apprentice Marine Engineer chance?! Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 1
soleil FB: HMS Sultan: "It's An Air Engineering First For Accelerated Apprentices" Bases / Shore Est 6
S Accelerated Apprenticeship Pay (WE) Joining the Royal Navy 20
A accelerated apprenticeship air engineer intake dates Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 3
A Accelerated Apprentice Selection Chances Joining the Royal Navy 2
MoD_RSS News story: Civil servants join accelerated apprenticeship MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Homes England funds first homes through local authority accelerated construction programme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS News story: Accelerated degrees approved by MPs MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Press release: Construction of thousands of new homes to be accelerated following Homes England loan to St. Modwen MoD News 0
P Accelerated Apprenticeship selection Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 45
P Accelerated apprenticeship second interview Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 7
C Accelerated Apprenticeship Training Joining Up - Royal Navy Recruiting 0
MoD_RSS Pharmacies launch codeword scheme to offer ‘lifeline’ to domestic abuse victims MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Community engagement on Tenbury Wells flood risk management scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Government announces major boost to coronavirus recovery through expansion of Dormant Assets Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First ballot of the 2021 Youth Mobility Scheme for Hong Kong SAR passport holders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government reforms intimidation scheme to relocate more Afghan staff under threat MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Turing scheme to support thousands of students to study and work abroad MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Changes to the Windrush Compensation Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS £23 million boost for British businesses through referral scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First ballot of the 2021 Youth Mobility Scheme for Taiwanese youth MoD News 0
MoD_RSS First ballot of the 2021 Youth Mobility Scheme for Japanese nationals MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Flood scheme team bring Christmas smiles to many thanks to appeal MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Construction of Exmouth tidal defence scheme recommencing in January MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Movement Assistance Scheme to support agrifood traders MoD News 0
MoD_RSS UK Trader Scheme launched to support businesses moving goods from Great Britain to Northern Ireland MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Windrush compensation scheme overhauled MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Plans for Tenbury Wells flood scheme unveiled in virtual event MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New surrender scheme starts to keep dangerous weapons off the streets MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Launch of £46 million 'Changing Futures' scheme to support vulnerable people MoD News 0
MoD_RSS GFSL launches apprenticeship scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Government to add COVID-19 to Vaccine Damage Payments Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Consultation into Basic Payment Scheme allocations in the New Forest launched MoD News 0
H Undergraduate Apprenticeship Scheme (UGAS) Submariners 2
MoD_RSS How employers are benefitting from the Kickstart Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Faith, Race and Hate Crime Grants scheme announces £1.8 million in project support MoD News 0
MoD_RSS New Help to Buy scheme open for business MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Viola's Blog; My experience of the ODP Buddy Scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS More than 19,000 jobs created by Kickstart Scheme so far MoD News 0
MoD_RSS Wheal Jane mine water treatment scheme MoD News 0
MoD_RSS National recognition for UK Atomic Energy Authority’s apprenticeship scheme with two awards MoD News 0