Accelerated Apprenticeship Training

CTB2503

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and was wondering if someone would be able to provide some information regarding the training pipeline for an Accelerated Apprenticeship in Air Engineering as the information shown on the Royal Navy website does not go into much detail. I would like to know: where the next stage of training takes place after the 10 weeks at HMS Raleigh and 6 months at the Defence College of Aeronautical Engineering (HMS Sultan?) as well as what the training will consist of and the duration of this stage of training.

If someone could also explain to me at what stage I could expect to be promoted to Leading Hand and whether the advertised starting salary of £31,100 is obtained after you complete HMS Raleigh or if it is later.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bimma

Midshipman
After Raleigh you do 14 weeks at Sultan learning the basics of aircraft systems separated into grubber (Mechanical) and Avionics which ends with a QX exam where you do some practical tasks on a Sea king. During this you’ll choose a preference of trade and put in a preference of aircraft however the majority of AAs have been drafted to CHF this year at RNAS Yeovilton with no choice in the matter so it’s really where they want you to go. No chance of getting an F35 draft at the moment so it’s Merlin Mk4, Mk2 or Wildcat. When you get to your air station you’ll do an classroom phase for roughly 10 weeks which is similar to sultan but more in depth and entirely focused on the aircraft you’ll be working on. After you’ll complete about 8 weeks in the hangar shadowing AETs and completing at task book ending with something called a QM where you’ll be grilled about your knowledge of the aircraft. After you’ll spend sometime working on squadron for some experience and then sent back to sultan to start the millions course.

Hope this helps

Bimma

Midshipman
After Raleigh you do 14 weeks at Sultan learning the basics of aircraft systems separated into grubber (Mechanical) and Avionics which ends with a QX exam where you do some practical tasks on a Sea king. During this you’ll choose a preference of trade and put in a preference of aircraft however the majority of AAs have been drafted to CHF this year at RNAS Yeovilton with no choice in the matter so it’s really where they want you to go. No chance of getting an F35 draft at the moment so it’s Merlin Mk4, Mk2 or Wildcat. When you get to your air station you’ll do an classroom phase for roughly 10 weeks which is similar to sultan but more in depth and entirely focused on the aircraft you’ll be working on. After you’ll complete about 8 weeks in the hangar shadowing AETs and completing at task book ending with something called a QM where you’ll be grilled about your knowledge of the aircraft. After you’ll spend sometime working on squadron for some experience and then sent back to sultan to start the millions course.

Hope this helps
Just realised the original post is 4 years old but hope it helps anyone else.