Accelerated Apprenticeship selection

Yeah... obviously I can’t say that I’m 100% correct but I believe you can only get fast track if you begin as a fast track. I think they’ve done away with the internal pick up scheme
I'll ring the AFCO tomorrow and see what they say. They definitely need to make this clear from the get go, otherwise it could lead to a lot of disappointed people.

My careers adviser seems to be much in the dark as I am. I'm 21 years of age and feel like I have been made to jumped through hoops on what seems to been a "Lucky Dip" chance of joining the Royal Navy through the AA scheme. I would love to know how many place were actually available. Why on my events page I had to confirm my attendance dates for PRNC and Raleigh start date of 4th November then to be told a board met and I was not chosen. Why does this board meet in September when University places have been closed for academic year? Why does Royal Navy Web site not give you this information so you can make informed choices regarding career. My careers officer told today I could now join the Navy as a ET or go Submariner route AA which the latter does not appeal to me. I have 5 higher grades all 'BS" including maths, physics and English. One could feel the Royal Navy heads are drawing young people in on little information and then after a long process (The AA route.) very few places being really available. Are Royal Navy heads really giving careers advisers the full information. My last moan. (Get it off my chest.) My interview was in August of 2017 my young years are being swallowed up I would really like to join the Royal Navy. How long is a piece of string? Have you heard of the carrot and stick approach?

I was told there were 24 AA ME places available. I don't know why my AFCO knows and yours doesn't - that's worrying, if not everyone is given the same information.

I feel you on the losing years bit - I've got more time than you, but I'm still joining as an ET ME now because I don't want to waste any more time. The sooner I get in the navy, the better.

Would that be 24 places for the whole of the UK. I would argue the point of the Royal Navy web site as being a career pathway not like a local engineering firm recruiting apprentices. All that I would like to see is some transparency from who ever makes these decisions. I am sure the carrot of over 31k starting salary draws many people in. I would have made an informed decision regarding my options if I had known that there were only 24 places in the Royal Navy. Based on the laws of averages. I might have been in the RN by now!

I was also told 24 places, I was considering the UGAS scheme initially But the thought of the submarines put me off but by speaking to a submariner that I know and doing some research it sounds more attractive than I first thought. There is another fast track submarine intake in March and also another accelerated AE intake and WE but for some reason currently there is no AA ME Intake... Weird

Would that be 24 places for the whole of the UK. I would argue the point of the Royal Navy web site as being a career pathway not like a local engineering firm recruiting apprentices. All that I would like to see is some transparency from who ever makes these decisions. I am sure the carrot of over 31k starting salary draws many people in. I would have made an informed decision regarding my options if I had known that there were 24 places in the Royal Navy based on the laws of average. and might have been in the RN by now!
Yes , 24 places , 24 places on the WE and 8 places on AE . The apprenticeship I done with a big company had 1200 applicants for 20 jobs so it is common. Especially when you take 31/32000 in to account. Where I have an issue is that the recruiters make it sound like your going to get it and they actually have no clue

Based on WannabeAdmiral these would also be lucky dips perhaps Ninja_Stoker could but some light on here?
I think there will be a reserve list and if anyone drops out the people on it will be offered a place based on how they were graded during the selection process. Can’t see them choosing other people on top of the 24

I don’t think me and WannabeAdmiral will have even been considered for selection for this intake because we haven’t even got provisional starts yet or PRNCs booked.

I dont know what to say to you both. I'm only posting on my experiences and feel a bit deflated at the moment. I still want to join the Navy and comments like " learn to walk before you can run" Don't mean anything to me. I would only request a bit more transparency from the top so I could get on with my career. My career officer told me to today that the Navy does not promise you anything until you sign the papers. Regarding the process of recruitment in my case seems to be a long route. Hopefully yours will not.

I have no knowledge of the AA system but as a civilian my job included recruiting and employing staff. When I had few applicants for a position it was easy to pick the person I wanted but if there were a dozen or twenty for one job it was difficult as I had to narrow the criteria to find the right applicant. Quite often after I'd delivered the bad news to the unsuccessful ones I was questioned as to how and why they'd been turned down after the interview has gone so well. So it is with all jobs worth having.

"So it is with all jobs worth having." Well the answer to that must be yes if they are real. Having been through three Apprentice applications in Scotland getting through to interviews on all applications to be told on this occasion you have not been successful I feel quite deflated. My friend applied to the same power supply company and got chosen. He told me everyone one in his intake had a relative working for the company. (Unfortunately both my parents work in the medical sector and not engineering.) I really felt that The Royal Navy had a very clear pathway for recruitment encouraging individuals with the right qualifications to make good career choices. I was really shocked to find having taking all the Navy tests, outlined on the RN webs site to find I would be part of a lucky draw 18 months on. Unlike previous applications (civilian) to find a apprentice scheme taking 3 months. All I would have liked for information being freely available such as waiting times, places really available be actually on the www RN site. https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/career...elerated-apprentice-scheme-marine-engineering so I could have made a informed decision regarding my career. My father who served in the RN for 20 years feels that the RN should really get their act together. My career adviser advised that he was much in the dark as I am and he does not know when I will now have a entry date if I choose one of the options stated in my previous posts. And yes I would relly like to join the Royal Navy. Reading other posts they seem similar to my experieces so far. Perhaps someone in the Know should take some notice.

@CameronCl I can feel your disappointment but I think you can be sure there is no-one behind the scenes pulling strings to get their relative to the top of the greasy pole. I seen waiting times discussed dozens of times on this forum and only one thing seems to be certain and that is no-one can accurately predict what they will be at any given time unless they are looking for people in a shortage category. You have chosen a popular choice where the selectors have the choice of the pick of the crop. I'm certain there will be other criteria at work other than qualifications so unfortunately for you(and perhaps the RN) the vote went to others.
Good luck for the future with whatever route you chose to further your career.