MIA
I have to dispute that Wrecks.
In my day (joined 1977) as a WE Artificer it was:
1 year at Fisgard
1 year at Collingwood
1 year on a ship
18 months at Collingwood
Out to the fleet as WEA3 (Leading Hand)

In the last 6 months of Collingwood we picked up our 'hooks' so the actual timescale from joining to LH was more like 4 years.
It was possible to reduce this by 4 months by only doing 2 terms at Fisgard instead of 3 as a 'accelerator'. (I did this).

I'm aware that things changed a bit when Fisgard closed but I'm not sure of the timescale.
Maybe that's what you're referring to...?
WEA. Joined Sep 83 picked up my hook Jan 87, PO April 88 then joined ship as section head July 88, buttons early 91. The regime at that time was to not draft you to sea until you were a PO.

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
I'll second Waspie on that.
Just being realistic I think about a young guy of 16. He has the brains to pass an engineering degree I have no doubt, thus could have stayed in education and applied as an officer in 4/5 years but this isn't how he wants his life to run. He says he is up for taking qualifications while serving and I have explained to him how tough it is to work and study at the same time. I was curious how the AA system worked and people have explained the pros and cons on here. All I can do is support his choices, check he is aware of alternatives and ultimately let him find his way in life. Apologies if I hijacked this thread but it's good to get info about the roles and maybe it will help someone else make choices too.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
He’s better off being a standard entry AET rather than AA some people just need time to find there feet, I’m sure he will get to where he wants if he puts in a wee bit elbow grease and maintains the motivation.

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
He’s better off being a standard entry AET rather than AA some people just need time to find there feet, I’m sure he will get to where he wants if he puts in a wee bit elbow grease and maintains the motivation.
Many thanks for the positive comment.

His start date was put back from July to September a week or so ago, they mentioned alterations to AET training as the reason. Have you heard anything about this where you are?

RabC

MIA
I worked with many young guys who weren’t cut out academically at school but matured into excellent engineers. I remember one lad who worked for me, left school with next to nothing and ended up as a LtCdr. It’s there for the taking if you want it and apply yourself.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
Many thanks for the positive comment.

His start date was put back from July to September a week or so ago, they mentioned alterations to AET training as the reason. Have you heard anything about this where you are?
No worries I think allot of young lads just need time I certainly did. I can ask the pt4’s (trainees on Squadron) but I don’t know as I left sultan nearly two years ago.

Maxpowers

Lantern Swinger
I worked with many young guys who weren’t cut out academically at school but matured into excellent engineers. I remember one lad who worked for me, left school with next to nothing and ended up as a LtCdr. It’s there for the taking if you want it and apply yourself.
I feel that allot of these later bloomers potentially never reach there full potential due to the heavy emphasis on paperwork qauls, I can thank the navy for letting me demonstrate im not a mong on the RT test and I hope it stays that way for others.

Last edited:

RabC

MIA
I feel that allot of these later bloomers potentially bever reach there full potential due to the heavy emphasis on paperwork qauls, I can thank the navy for letting me demonstrate im not a mong on the RT test and I hope it stays that way for others.
The lad I mention just passed his killicks exam but then went on to do really well on course. He was selected for mechs course on the back of his killicks course results, by which stage he was receptive to the classroom environment and the rest as they say is history.

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
OK, I think I've done this before, but hey ho. (All a long time ago now, but a bit relevant). I passed the 11+ and was in the A stream, but I'm very practical and could see no point in doing Latin. I managed to get down-graded to the B stream which must have really upset my folks as they had great plans for me to go to university - they hadn't asked me!

Up to recruiting office - passed exams for Tiff App, got start date at Fisguard et al!
Back to buddies who informed me that being a Tiff was like going back to school for 4 tears - I hated school!
Back to recruiting office - 'don't want to be a Tiff' - 'no probs, how about Seaman?' Yippee says I and off I go to Raleigh. Pissed it (was class leader) and selected for SSAB. Had a ball, great trips and deployments but after 4 years realised I was not using my brain/skills, so was fortunate enough to be able to re-cat to REM. Award for best REM on course! Passed for killick, got Mech's marks from killick's course. Little bit of a glitch, but then onto Mech's course - quite tense for an academic duffer, BUT, you work hard and play hard. I was fortunate that we came off course with a shed-load of civvy qualifications. Had another ball on submarines and regrettably left after 23 years as............ a Chief Tiff - so I went full circle!

My RN experience and quals enabled good jobs outside and I even managed to crack in a quick BSc, getting a First Class (Hons)! Then we retired to Spain aged 50!!

So to recap, as stated by other posters too, anything is possible.

Latest Threads