Accelerated Apprenticeship Air

Munchboii

My AFCO told me that candidates which pass the interview but do not get selected by the Engineering board go on to be offered places at the basic level. If you perform well in training at the basic entry route (Non AA) you can be fast tracked to Leading Hand within 2 years.

So do not be too gutted if you do not get in the AA route. You can work your way there. I believe the criteria they are looking for are people who:
1. Have proven they can study at the level which will be required of them I.E (Have a degree**, Level 4 HNC In Engineering, ect. Something above Level 3 which has prestige)
2. At the upper age limit (It is open to 17-25 year olds however being 23-25 you will have more life experience by the law of averages. Therefore potentially a better leader)
3. Leadership experience - Any role where you have showed leadership responsibilities or had to lead people. Could be as a sports captain or some form of organiser.

I believe this are the Golden 3 criteria which they are looking for. It is a very competitive position so they can afford to take on people who show exceptional experience. Do not take my word for it though but I hope this helps everyone who considers this option.

**If you have a degree I would be confused as to why you would go for the AA when you could just go as an Officer and get the £27k joining hello. However I have been told this happens>....

Waspie

War Hero
**If you have a degree I would be confused as to why you would go for the AA when you could just go as an Officer and get the £27k joining hello. However I have been told this happens>....
A chap I car shared with had a degree in Aeronautical Engineering and was more qualified than the engineering officer. However, he was happy as Larry on the lower deck. Quoting more hands on with real aircraft than officers.

End of the day, it's what you enjoy. No point getting higher wages if your not enjoying it.

Ballistic

War Hero
I can only compare the new system with the old artificer system. Tiffs back in the day became leaders after 2.5 years, as a comparison I joined up as a mechanic and it took me 6 years (although I could have done it earlier, I enjoyed Union Street too much :) ).
I have to dispute that Wrecks.
In my day (joined 1977) as a WE Artificer it was:
1 year at Fisgard
1 year at Collingwood
1 year on a ship
18 months at Collingwood
Out to the fleet as WEA3 (Leading Hand)

In the last 6 months of Collingwood we picked up our 'hooks' so the actual timescale from joining to LH was more like 4 years.
It was possible to reduce this by 4 months by only doing 2 terms at Fisgard instead of 3 as a 'accelerator'. (I did this).

I'm aware that things changed a bit when Fisgard closed but I'm not sure of the timescale.
Maybe that's what you're referring to...?

Taztiff

War Hero
I have to dispute that Wrecks.
In my day (joined 1977) as a WE Artificer it was:
1 year at Fisgard
1 year at Collingwood
1 year on a ship
18 months at Collingwood
Out to the fleet as WEA3 (Leading Hand)

In the last 6 months of Collingwood we picked up our 'hooks' so the actual timescale from joining to LH was more like 4 years.
It was possible to reduce this by 4 months by only doing 2 terms at Fisgard instead of 3 as a 'accelerator'. (I did this).

I'm aware that things changed a bit when Fisgard closed but I'm not sure of the timescale.
Maybe that's what you're referring to...?
Concur with Ballistic - joined 1976
My hook at 4 year point, joined ship 6 months later as WEA3 (in a LWEM billet)
Acting PO at 5 year , left ship as I was out of billet!
Confirmed PO 1 year later minus any advancement earned during training. Joined ship 9 months later. Passed board for CPO before I left it.

editted to correct PO advancement time

Supportive Dad

Lantern Swinger
Thanks for the info guys. My son has his start date for AET in September and can't wait. He has waited at least 6 months longer than usual I would guess and in the meantime has just about completed his first year in 6th form, so theoretically, could apply for AA for next year. He is a bright and active young man, soon to be 17 but in no way could I see him in just a few years being in a position to lead/mentor others in this role. I think he too recognizes this and just wants to get started and work quietly up if things go his way.

Taztiff

War Hero
@Taztiff, @Ballistic every day a school day, I just remember tiff apprentices doing their year at sea and then magically re-appearing as killicks.

B13s rool ok ;)
Some never went back as killicks, sat in a FMG until picked up their second hook. Then straight on board as section head.
I considered myself lucky to get a gun as a killick - for however short it was. Good experience.

Waspie

War Hero
Thanks for the info guys. My son has his start date for AET in September and can't wait. He has waited at least 6 months longer than usual I would guess and in the meantime has just about completed his first year in 6th form, so theoretically, could apply for AA for next year. He is a bright and active young man, soon to be 17 but in no way could I see him in just a few years being in a position to lead/mentor others in this role. I think he too recognizes this and just wants to get started and work quietly up if things go his way.
Don’t do him down. He may have qualities you don’t see as a dad but the Navy may bring out of him!!

Ballistic

War Hero
Some never went back as killicks, sat in a FMG until picked up their second hook. Then straight on board as section head.
I considered myself lucky to get a gun as a killick - for however short it was. Good experience.
Ditto.
Languishing in FMG, I volunteered to go in a LWEM(O)'s billet on mortars on a loan draft.
I was very familiar with the ship and quite a few of the ship's company - it was the same one as for my one year sea training as an Apprentice :D

I'd like to think it gave me a better appreciation of my own killicks' situation when I got my own section as a PO.

Latest Threads