Accelerated Apprenticeship Air

Danjohum3

Hi I believe places for accelerated apprenticeship are competitive, maybe 30 or 40 a year. Qualifications aside what else does the RN look for? What can I do to improve my chances?
Thanks!

As no one has responded (yet?) maybe your AFCO has his/her finger on the pulse?

Being such a competitive RN entry route any Contributor here with such aspirations is more than likely to keep schtum rather than offer freebie clues to their potential 'competitors'.

Tough? Maybe, but that's life...

Munchboii

Ive just noticed that the accelerated apprenticeship for submariners has now been unlisted as high priority... Feel like this is the first time since the role has been listed this has happened. Must have been changed within the last week

Bimma

Midshipman
Hi I believe places for accelerated apprenticeship are competitive, maybe 30 or 40 a year. Qualifications aside what else does the RN look for? What can I do to improve my chances?
Thanks!
Yes it’s roughly 30 per year and is competitive due to starting at a higher rank/salary. Recruitment will look for leadership qualities more than anything as there are people in my AA class which have little to no prior experience in engineering but have shown potential in other forms such as past work experience in a leadership role. Show interest in the fleet air arm as they like to see you have knowledge of the aircraft and what their primary roles are. Good luck with it mate it.

Danjohum3

Thanks very much Bimma! I guess such low numbers mean realistically it's unlikely. I'd be happy to take the AET route and possibly fast track if I perform well- not sure how easy that is? I will have a Level 3 Extended Diploma Elec. Eng by next summer which I would like to put to good use.

Just out of curiosity, what and how does a very young AA AET actually lead?

The role appears to be of a highly technical nature and the "follow me over the top chaps" sort of leadership doesn't seem very relevant. Without a decent technical base I am not sure how a young person would be in a position to lead other young people who may well know as much if not more about the technicalities.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator

The role appears to be of a highly technical nature and the "follow me over the top chaps" sort of leadership doesn't seem very relevant. Without a decent technical base I am not sure how a young person would be in a position to lead other young people who may well know as much if not more about the technicalities.
A young AA AET won't lead until he becomes an LAET, a bit like baby tiffs of old he/she will be introduced to the role gradually, under supervision from SR's.

WreckerL

War Hero
Super Moderator
What sort of timescale would you say?
I can only compare the new system with the old artificer system. Tiffs back in the day became leaders after 2.5 years, as a comparison I joined up as a mechanic and it took me 6 years (although I could have done it earlier, I enjoyed Union Street too much :) ).

Waspie

War Hero

In my ancient experience. 11 years as a mechanic, (air), the next 13 as aircrew. AET's AEM's or NAM's to give them their historic titles. Rarely get a chance to actually 'lead' as you put it. I think in my 24 years I was actually placed in charge of a 'body of men' only once!!!

Technicians, 'leading' comes down to 'supervision' within their trade. You may find you are the experienced 'hand' and you provide mentoring duties to those less experienced. Newer hands will look to the older hands for guidance.

The very idea of AET's going over the top as you put it, makes me chuckle.

Not withstanding my comments above. It is a different Navy these days, (I am told), so I guess leadership may have moved on and certainly LAET's may be expected to be more hands on with regards taking charge.