Accelerated apprentice scheme in marine engineering

John 243

Currently a qualified electrician applying to start accelerated apprentice scheme I was wondering when my wage goes to 33000 as been told 3 different things currently on abit more and can’t afford to take the hit for longer than a year

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
You will join on the LET basic pay scale £32,105 (SUPP 3) and will annually increase pay scales up to Level 5. You would stand still for the first 2 years in this rank (the same as any new rank). You will receive the £33,008 at year 3, which will tie in with the 107 weeks of your course, when you will be promoted substantive LET.

soleil

War Hero
Currently a qualified electrician applying to start accelerated apprentice scheme I was wondering when my wage goes to 33000 as been told 3 different things currently on abit more and can’t afford to take the hit for longer than a year
Be sure to look at things in the round, too, John, for instance, you may be eligible for Service Family Accommodation which will help financially, or be able to buy using Forces Help to Buy. You will save on gym memberships etc. Other allowances will also apply, so the calculation when looking at your finances is a bit more complicated than just the simple salary one.

John 243

So after basic training(10 weeks) I will be up to 32105 I know it sounds all I’m bothered is money but currently making over 35000 a year and can’t afford to take the hit for to long I understand there’s a lot more benefits than my current job but can’t afford to be on less than 20000 for more than a year

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Crash Evans says "You will join on the LET basic pay scale £32,105 (SUPP 3)".
You will not enter on the New Entrant Rate Of Pay (NERP) due to you holding the academic qualification to be a LH. However, due to your lack of military and trade experience you cannot initially become a Leading Hand.

T&B, you have to make the decision based on this entry pay for 2 years and the other areas you can take a hit on financially that @soleil has mentioned above. Most notably, if you have a SEA/SHORE assignment for 6 months or more you will qualify for Service Housing (subject to marital cat).

John 243

Just passed my medical fitness tests to go then fingers crossed I get a place as Iv been informed only 20 places a year and intake will be November

soleil

War Hero
Just passed my medical fitness tests to go then fingers crossed I get a place as Iv been informed only 20 places a year and intake will be November
Have you done the RT? I was going to give you a link to some sample questions, but I think you may have done it already.

Sounds very positive.

Check out a newspaper called Navy News at somewhere like W H Smith so that you can bring yourself up to date with current deployments etc.

Cam65

Midshipman
They took 27 this year expecting to lose some during basic , however one PVR'd after 4 weeks and all the others passed out on Friday. The plan was to recruit 24, but they will have 2 extra on the course at Sultan this year

Latest Threads