ACCELERATED APPRENTICE SCHEME – MARINE, WEAPONS, AIR AND SUBMARINER ENGINEERS - 2018 UPDATE

SONAR-BENDER

War Hero
I think OMs would've worked if we'd actually committed to it, not just use them as source branch ratings who could change a fuse.
The actual concept of a user/maintainer is good - the Yanks did it very well for donkeys years. However, when a fully paid up member of the RN good ideas club sees this, then gets the bit between his teeth, then there will inevitably be problems. The Elmers had had years for their system to evolve - the RN intended to jump straight in. There were several presentations given, at which the 'team' were told by tech Senior Rates (and possibly some Seaman types) that it wouldn't work, but as with all good ideas, it was thrust upon us.

I feel sorry for all the troops sucked into this debacle over the years.

As an Engineer Officer, the biggest problem were Warfare SRs, who insisted on 3 - 4 monthly job changes, and insisted that an OM AWT needed to be able to do SPS/SPC (core job) but also work part of ship, be the CPO's Mess man, do bridge watches, etc etc.

If someone had been drafted as an OM AWT and spent the entire time in the Ops Room, on both the plot and with the Chief Tiff, then it would've worked. But the Source Branch mafia were insistent it couldn't work and sabotaged it.

Jacksplat

Hi Guys,

Anyone know what pay an accelerated air engineer will receive at the start of phase 2?... and throughout, thanks in advance. Have asked a few people including someone at prnc all different answers anyone who has done the AA will know.

Jacksplat

Thanks for the reply, have you any idea what it would be like 20k roughly? at start of phase 2 what are we talking and is it much more than those who aren’t accelerated apprentices, thanks. Anything online doesn’t tell you I have sat with different members of the navy looking it up when I said to them. Want to know what it is start of phase 2, and when you reach the full amount.

Last edited:

Ninja_Stoker

War Hero
Thanks for the reply, have you any idea what it would be like 20k roughly? at start of phase 2 what are we talking and is it much more than those who aren’t accelerated apprentices, thanks. Anything online doesn’t tell you I have sat with different members of the navy looking it up when I said to them. Want to know what it is start of phase 2, and when you reach the full amount.
You join on the rate of pay stated above. It's roughly twice the starting pay of those joining as AET, ET(ME), ET (WE) because you join as a probationary Leading Hand - if selected.

The scheme is oversubscribed so they can afford to select the best candidates.

Call 03456 07 55 55 or your local AFCO to find out more.

legend

Midshipman
Mainly for the attention of Ninja Stoker ,
As an ex Military man myself and an interested Grandad , I am doing everything in my power to to help influence , encourage and educate my Grandson who is keen to join the RN ( Hopefully as a WEM ) . He is not 16 until August and has just sat his GCSEs with predicted decent grades , ie Maths and Physics high C s to Low Bs as well as other decent grades in English , Maths , Geography etc . I tried to encourage him to try for direct entry at 16 years of age but now he is talking of keeping his options open and thinking of going for his A levels in Maths , English , Physics which is no bad thing but I just think what I did at 16 and at least he would have an extra two years of making money and still learning his trade . My question is this , if he gained entry at 16 and his potential of having decent GCSEs grades , especially in Maths , English and Physics , are there any possibilities of being fast tracked say to the Accelerated Apprentice scheme ?
Thanks in anticipation

fishhead

War Hero
@legend It is worth noting that @Ninja_Stoker is no longer in post as a recruiter and does not visit this site as frequently as he once did. He does appear from time to time though and may have the answers you would like. Failing that a visit to your local AFCO with your Grandson may be beneficial.

crash_evans

Lantern Swinger
Mainly for the attention of Ninja Stoker ,
As an ex Military man myself and an interested Grandad , I am doing everything in my power to to help influence , encourage and educate my Grandson who is keen to join the RN ( Hopefully as a WEM ) . He is not 16 until August and has just sat his GCSEs with predicted decent grades , ie Maths and Physics high C s to Low Bs as well as other decent grades in English , Maths , Geography etc . I tried to encourage him to try for direct entry at 16 years of age but now he is talking of keeping his options open and thinking of going for his A levels in Maths , English , Physics which is no bad thing but I just think what I did at 16 and at least he would have an extra two years of making money and still learning his trade . My question is this , if he gained entry at 16 and his potential of having decent GCSEs grades , especially in Maths , English and Physics , are there any possibilities of being fast tracked say to the Accelerated Apprentice scheme ?
Thanks in anticipation
I think you may have confused 2 schemes. There is the Accelerated Apprentice Scheme , but at 16 (unless your grandson is a genius) is missing some of the key criteria:

A National Qualifications Framework Level 3 Diploma (with a minimum of a Merit Pass) in engineering discipline.

Or

At least 48 UCAS points in A-levels (or equivalent) in Mathematics and STEM subject.

As has been alluded to above, we (the RN) can be picky as we are oversubscribed in engineers at the moment.

Or, he can join as a ET (WE) (which ever flavour SM or GS), if he is good on course he MAY get selected for the Fast-track scheme. This is by no means a given and in my last 10 classes I have had 3 selected.

As @fishhead says above, take him down to the AFCO and get him to chat to the team down there.

Good luck.

legend

Midshipman
Thanks for the info crash. I actually meant when he is seventeen with the right qualifications in A levels. My personal advice would be to go at 16 with the hopefully decent grades in Maths, English and a Science as well as others that he expects. Then try straight away for Raleigh, stick in and see where he gets.
Cheers again
M

Latest Threads